When are you all starting your scouting?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
A buck like he described could bring a lot of attention… best to leave it be till after season filled or not. There are all sorts of folks trolling these sites
I get that, but does posting a picture bring much more attention than stating what you've found? Are guys pulling coordinates from these pictures or something? There's a few dudes that seem to find stud deer every year but don't post them until they're dead. Just trying to understand how the picture would bring extra attention when you can assume the guys that kill big deer have scouted big deer on any given season.
I don't post my stuff either just trying to understand the reasoning

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
I get that, but does posting a picture bring much more attention than stating what you've found? Are guys pulling coordinates from these pictures or something? There's a few dudes that seem to find stud deer every year but don't post them until they're dead. Just trying to understand how the picture would bring extra attention when you can assume the guys that kill big deer have scouted big deer on any given season.
I don't post my stuff either just trying to understand the reasoning

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
Hahaha definitely a valid view point and reasoning!!

I seriously doubt it would matter. But I know of several people from 3rd party conversations that always try to figure out where me, and other people are always hunting. Not that a picture of a scouted buck would change that anyways.

And you could drop a pin of a big buck to most people and they probably still wouldn’t be able to kill it anyways haha

Huntnnw

WKR
attempted last weekend,but snow ended the trip as it was to deep to get into trail. I will try again this weekend, Whitetail cams have been out over a month now

IDVortex

WKR
Already escouting, scouting a couple areas I'm wanting to look st. Hoping of putting my pack on and checking out areas towards the middle/end of July. Hoping of buying some cameras to take with me.

Poser

WKR
I'm out exploring areas for late season hunting at the beginning of June as the lower elevations are mostly melted off and the animals are migrating their way back through that same habitat. I start getting back out in the high country in late June or early July depending on the year. I was out and about at 12,000 feet this weekend.

I got a scouting trip planned for this weekend. A little early for sure but I happen to be driving through the area so figured early scouting is better than no scouting. Mainly looking to learn some new parts of the unit.

knehrke

FNG
I will be watering fruit trees that were newly planted this spring...no rain for the past two weeks, despite almost daily promises of strong thunderstorms...and I will have my spotting scope and a few trail cameras with me to hang.

Some of us mortals have to do this crazy thing where we drive 14+ hours two days before the season starts, hike our ass back into an area, and find deer right then and there. Fun stuff!

If it's a local unit I've hunted previously, I'll scout end of July through August. Anything else, I try to do 2-3 pre-season scouting trips early July-August, combined with some trout fishing.

TaperPin

WKR
I like to go two weeks before the season opens - then if there is a specific big buster buck I’ll show up a few days before the season to try and find where he’s at, even if it cuts into the number of hunting days. One deer was so large I kick myself for not quitting my job and camping out the entire summer to watch him. Lol

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Typically for me it’s the first weekend after the 4th of July for getting back behind the glass and deploy cameras.

Going to get out next week. But when it’s 108 degrees it sucks but still need to get the legs into shape, cameras out, water stashed.

king402

FNG
I am getting excited. I usually try and wait until after the first week of July so I have a decent idea of what I am looking at. When are you all going? How is the antler growth in your area, report back, thanks!
Went out yesterday for the first time this year. Antler growth looks good. Give it a couple weeks and we should know what the bucks will end up like.

‘Ike’

FNG
E-Scouting and talking to Biologists and Warden once I found out about tag (Archery)…Will arrive a few days prior, then scout on Saturday Opener and Sunday, then hit it hard starting Monday when hopefully some people leave! Full moon opener….

That’s my out of state tag, my home tag (Archery) is a area I’ve hunted several times before, but will be up next month to see if any areas have changed and look at moisture and snow packs…