What’s your go-to for “Straight Wall” season?

What straight wall cartridge do you deer hunt with?

• Total voters

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
My 450 BM has fed a small town with the amount of deer its put down. However it looks like the 400 legends hits like a 450 BM and shoots like a 350 Legend. If i was to start over this year..... I'm thinking the 400 Legend would be my choice.

I ended up going with 45-70 for not only the nostalgia of the round but also availability.

I really liked the 400 legend but I looked at several places and couldn’t find it and everybody and their mama had 45-70

Nobody else has noticed the same?
I wouldn’t be chasing the 400 w/ only one loading of ammo on the market.

Bluefish

WKR
I ended up going with 45-70 for not only the nostalgia of the round but also availability.

I really liked the 400 legend but I looked at several places and couldn’t find it and everybody and their mama had 45-70

Nobody else has noticed the same?
Yes, here they had the one ammo offering on sale and no guns chambered in it. 45-70 on the other hand was readily available in several loadings including subs.

Savage Wolverine in 450 bushmaster. Was considering just getting an AR upper but wanted something lighter weight for the woods and not have to worry about it being finicky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have straight wall season, but I still hunt with a 45/70 regularly.

204_ruger

Lil-Rokslider
My wife fixing to order me a Ruger American Gen 2 450 bushmaster. Going to let her use it. I will carry my ML. I got a bunch of blackhorn 209. Bought 4 cans for 80.00. Put a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9x40mm ml scope on my CVA.

I was skeptical about 350 legend but during ammo crises could always find ammo for it and it has performed surprisingly well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was as well , very skeptical. After two large bucks and a doe all at around 180 yards DRT I’m becoming a believer very quickly. I can tell you its better than my old slug gun.

OP
Ozarkansas
I chrono’d my dad’s new CVA Scout .44 magnum yesterday and I was very impressed. Hornady 225 grain Leverevolution was going 1893 FPS, and their 240 grain XTP was going 1852. Both were touching all 3 rounds at 50 yards. recoil is pretty mild and all the different ammo he’s got has the same POI at 50y.

It’s a great little gun for this new “alternative” season that does pretty much everything my 45/70 does but with less recoil and cheaper ammo

Subs

FNG
I have a similar set up to Boarmaster. Its a 350L Howa Mini Action on a stocky's carbon stock the whole rig with the scope is around 6.5 pounds. I hunt ohio and eastern PA. Took a decent buck with it last year using Hornady. I'm going to give the Bear Creek Ammo a try this year.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
I have a similar set up to Boarmaster. Its a 350L Howa Mini Action on a stocky's carbon stock the whole rig with the scope is around 6.5 pounds. I hunt ohio and eastern PA. Took a decent buck with it last year using Hornady. I'm going to give the Bear Creek Ammo a try this year.
I just picked up a Howa 1500 mini in 350 legend today. Was thinking about doing your exact build. Do you think you’ll go with the round nose or pointed bear creek? I want to try the 125 hammers in it but haven’t purchased the necessary reloading crap for it yet.

Subs

FNG
I just picked up a Howa 1500 mini in 350 legend today. Was thinking about doing your exact build. Do you think you’ll go with the round nose or pointed bear creek? I want to try the 125 hammers in it but haven’t purchased the necessary reloading crap for it yet.
If I want to use the magazine, I think I’ll have to go with the round nose. I’m a tikka guy and they have some interesting offerings this year. I’m wondering if their magazines have the length for the pointed bear creek. I shot a deer last season in PA with the Hornaday 165 FTX. He ran about 50 yards in some thick stuff but there was plenty of blood to follow.

I wouldn’t be chasing the 400 w/ only one loading of ammo on the market.
It took the 350 legend a few years to have more than just the power point available. Now it has copper and bonded in the mix. I live in a shotgun state that just started allowing straight wall cartridges. Im hoping in a few years the 400 will have those also, it will justify a new rifle over my Savage 220.

That sounds like a nice outfit. Im interested in trying the Bear Creek ammo as well.

I have a variety of straight wall rifles. I've killed deer with 44 mag, 350 legend, 450 bushmaster, 450 marlin, and 45/70 rifles. Also one big chubby doe with a 41 mag
revolver. So far the 350 has put down deer just as well if not quicker than anything else.