What’s your go-to for “Straight Wall” season?

What straight wall cartridge do you deer hunt with?

• Total voters

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
.30-30 should be on the list directly. I'd guess a lot of hunters up north use it, especially for any hunting in thick timber where the range is usually under 50 yards.
Edit - I do understand that .30-30 isn't considered "straight wall". (I voted for .45-70 as my cartridge)

Last edited:
45/70 Marlin guide gun, I've had since they first came out, for the northern Wisconsin woods. I'll also take my Remlin/Marlin 30-30 16 inch BBL lever. both shoot excellent.

Dave

I've been thinking about this a lot too. Maybe when I shoot up all of my blackhorn 209 I'll buy a straightwall. I've built 3 rifles this year and would rather spend my money on loading a ton of ammo for practice.

The "non-semiautomatic" clause in there really sucks IMO. I would put together a 350 legend upper and use that wuth my R9 or deadair mojave but I can't legally. Maybe I'll use my .30-30 straightwall 🤣
You can buy a cheap bear creak side charger and put on an adjustable gas block and turn it off. Or use a cali-key.

I'm all about the 223 straight wall though

The Guide

WKR
You can buy a cheap bear creak side charger and put on an adjustable gas block and turn it off. Or use a cali-key.

I'm all about the 223 straight wall though
Could also do a SOLO upper which has no gas system and tap and plug the gas port on the barrel. Lots of ways to skin the cat on the single action AR system. I feel if you are going to not have a semi auto AR you might as well go with the ultralight weight build.

Jay

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
My straight wall hunting gun is a 450 Marlin conversion kit for a Desert Tech SRS A2 w/ Dead Air Primal. It currently has an ATACR on it but that's a 3-15x42 in the pic.

1724123484201.png

I prefer to shoot subsonic and transonic loads with this caliber. The factory loads have a ton of recoil with a 350gr RN at 2200fps. The recoil isn't too much in this rig but they rock me with my Ruger No.1 in same caliber. I use the No.1 to practice off hand shooting and sitting unsupported shooting w reduced loads which right now are a 300gr HP running around 1250fps.

IMG_2286 (1).jpg

I want to test the Hornady 410 Sub-X this year and 250gr TSX but I usually shoot a 300gr HP or 350gr round nose interlock at steel.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
My straight wall hunting gun is a 450 Marlin conversion kit for a Desert Tech SRS A2 w/ Dead Air Primal. It currently has an ATACR on it but that's a 3-15x42 in the pic.

View attachment 753157

I prefer to shoot subsonic and transonic loads with this caliber. The factory loads have a ton of recoil with a 350gr RN at 2200fps. The recoil isn't too much in this rig but they rock me with my Ruger No.1 in same caliber. I use the No.1 to practice off hand shooting and sitting unsupported shooting w reduced loads which right now are a 300gr HP running around 1250fps.

View attachment 753156

I want to test the Hornady 410 Sub-X this year and 250gr TSX but I usually shoot a 300gr HP or 350gr round nose interlock at steel.
Ok that 450 marlin conversion kit is elite. So cool

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I have and AR built in 450 bushmaster for the rainy days and use my marlin 45/70 any other time. Love both these cartridges.

Rich M

WKR
I want to vote for 357 mag and 350 Legend. Same powder, same primer, bullets will shoot out of either. About 400-500 fps difference between the 2.

14 deer w 357 mag, 2 deer with 350 Legend.

Used to use 30-06 and think 95% of the deer I killed with that could have been killed with 350 Legend (inside 250 yards) and say 75% with 357 Mag (inside 100 yards). Gonna work up a 350 Legend load with 180 gr XTP and see how it works at 200. Want something to just flatten them. Or have to use 30-06.

I live in a straight wall state and still choose to hunt with my muzzleloaders. In all honestly, I get straight wall performance with many of my inlines. I still love to take my Kentucky long rifle out though and do some doe management every year. It’s just hard to justify buying a 350 legend or a 450BM when I can shoot 2-4 inch groups at 200 yards with my inline

Huntsalot

FNG
350 legend with 160gr Bear Creek Ballistics ammo has been great for me. I have a Franchi Elite bolt gun and have a 16" Contender Rifle barrel on its way to me now.

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
Lifelong hunter of Arkansas here.
so I’m sure I understand your excitement for this October. It was a fine excuse to go and buy a 45/70.

I’m in AR as well where we just switched from Muzzy to alternate. I’ve always wanted to shoot something with my straight levers so it’s a great excuse to do so. I’ll still keep my muzzy too as I love that gun.

Just got a Pedersoli Creedmoor in 45-90 to try out. Taking it after bison this Dec so a whitetail would be great to practice on and gain some confidence.

I’m not one to bash other forms of hunting. I’ve done trad bow to long range rifle and I love all of it.

The folks who freak out every time a season changes (x-bow, straight wall, etc) would never give up their high tech compounds or molded stocks and scopes. I’ve always believed if you want to fight about it that bad then you better be walking everywhere and using hand made weapons and clothes.

I get that we need to draw lines somewhere but most of the arguments are herds getting destroyed, too easy, yadda, yadda. None of that has ever happened or been substantiated. It’s fear mongering and emotional knee jerking.

Have fun out there with your weapons we are mostly free to use here in the US!! We have more freedoms with arms than any other place in the world that I am aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

.350 legend here in MD. I use a custom suppressed AR platform and my brother uses a Ruger American. Taken a few deer with it and performs well. My dad uses a .450 bushmaster single shot marlin and is a thumper.

Attachments

• IMG_5660.jpeg
    IMG_5660.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 19
I was skeptical about 350 legend but during ammo crises could always find ammo for it and it has performed surprisingly well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
My 450 BM has fed a small town with the amount of deer its put down. However it looks like the 400 legends hits like a 450 BM and shoots like a 350 Legend. If i was to start over this year..... I'm thinking the 400 Legend would be my choice.

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going with 45-70 for not only the nostalgia of the round but also availability.

I really liked the 400 legend but I looked at several places and couldn’t find it and everybody and their mama had 45-70

Nobody else has noticed the same?