What's your favorite part of a hunt?

JPD350

WKR
I agree with being present and in your preys world, also persevering thru adverse circumstances.
When I start planning and looking at maps I have already started melting into the animals terrain and it's thought process, I am constantly bouncing back and forth from predator and prey, searching for just the right combination of actions and routes to accomplish my goal. I love the anticipation that comes with knowing I have a solid game plan based on a comprehensive understanding of where my prey lives and years of in the field knowledge that gives me the feeling that I will no doubt be filling my freezer and the understanding that even if I do not fill my freezer I did everything I could to prepare for the adventure, I will always walk away fulfilled.
Persevering, OMG going through adverse conditions, overcoming any obstacle, hurdles or any "bad" decision made by me makes adventures so soulfully and or painfully satisfying.
When I go and kill something on the first morning or day I leave the forest like I just missed out on the hunt, even though it's a result of what I have prepared for. I am always very grateful for early kills but it's the whole hunt and everything that comes with it that I crave.

505Wapiti

WKR
Generally, my favorite part is the hikes in the dark, to my spot for the morning hunt, and back to camp. But sometimes, looking up at the Milky Way is just unbeatable.
Yeah there is something about the stars when you are at significant elevation on a clear night without any other light interfering.

Marble

WKR
Admiration day-the day following a successful hunt. The reflection on the event, the planning and excursion it takes to get back to the sight, the late nights hiking in the dark.

A day walking back to the truck with a load in my pack or a train of horses gives lots of time for thought.

I enjoy the times when others are with me. But when I'm solo it seems like the day is twice as long and twice as memorable.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

croben

Lil-Rokslider
For me it's the period immediately following my predawn hike in the dark. I go into full predator mode as the first rosy fingers of dawn pierce the morning sky. My Spidey senses start tingling as I scan for movement, sign and listen to the sounds of the backcountry. That's when I am most alive and it is also when the majority of my kills occurred. Nice to beat the heat with an early AM field dressing.
I love when I’m in tune with what’s going on around me, sign, smells, etc. Also, I love the shenanigans that happen. Those are what I remember the most after the fact.

The problem solving/putting the puzzle together part. Plan A didn’t work,analyzing why and getting plan b, c or d to work.

I’ve also had success in some very pressured areas and took a lot of satisfaction from “beating” the competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite part is everything leading up to the shot. I love the planning, preperation, and actual hunting. But when it all comes together and whatever I'm hunting steps out....it's all business from there. I feel satisfaction in making good kills and providing my family with food. The killing part is anticlimactic for me though and just means that the work is beginning (packing out, butchering, etc.).

Troutnut

FNG
Opening day, dawn, just as first light hits the hills and things become visible through binoculars. It's showtime with nothing but possibility ahead.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My favorite is when I work my way into a herd with cows in heat, and the herd bull is running like crazy chasing several satellite bulls away. It doesn't get much better than that. But I also love sitting in camp in the hot sun soaking up some heat and sucking down some coffee.

Jimss

WKR
Pre-hunt scouting. Being able to kick back with no pressure of harvesting a critter and enjoying the scenery and wildlife up close and personal before it’s spooked.

2nd would be the ultimate excitement of walking up to a harvested critter knowing all the boot leather, glassing, and hard work paid off. Reflecting on all the amazing hours spent in magnificent country scouting and hunting the amazing critter.

I love spending time in the mountains on a horse or watching my GSP work pheasants. I also think a big part of it for me is disconnecting and just being out in the mountain without cell service or internet.

Calling in game. That feeling when a bull is coming into your bugle is intense. Had a blast this year working the rattles for whitetail. Just sitting there during a rattle session and hearing the deer move around you in the crunchy snow gets ya all excited.

4rcgoat

WKR
I love waking up on Sept 1st,usually in my Kodiak canvas tent,getting dressed and knowing that when I unzip that door and step outside with my bow in hand and tag in pocket,it's a completely different world and I've waited all year for this morning to come back.

NDGuy

WKR
Comradery

I am sad that due to how hard it is to draw tags and organize schedules my circle has less and less opportunities since most of us are married with young kids. But makes the times we do get out that much sweeter.

Cleaning the dried blood out of the crack between my fingernails and skin with my knife at camp while the water is approaching boiling.