whats under your rain pants

What does everyone wear under your rain pants?
Shorts and rain pants? Wool base layer and rain pants?
Hunting pants with briefs under (like Kuiu Attacks) then rain pants?
Long wool base then hunting pants then rain pants?
Has this been covered before?
Let's say 40 degrees F.
Rain gear is Kryptek Koldo.

Last edited:

jtw

WKR
40 and raining hard enough to need pants? Pants with wool base layers. But I dont wear rain pants until its pouring and have every intention of taking them off when the rain lets up.

colonel00

WKR
Yeah, my rain gear, especially the pants, are usually a last resort. Honestly, if it's 40* and pouring rain enough for me to put the pants on, I'm most likely finding a nice spot and waiting out the weather. If I get caught in transit where I can't stop, the jacket will go on but pants are still a last resort. I just put out too much heat from my legs and even "breathable" rain pants will have me sweating so much that I might as well just leave them off and get soaked from the rain. The only other time I would wear rain pants for an extended amount of time is if I needed a final warming layer for really cold weather. Even then, it's more of a sedentary usage like if I'm sitting on a cold, windy ridge.

Anyway, to cover your question, I don't change what I'm wearing and the rain pants are a protective layer, as jtw states, that come off as soon as I don't need them.

OP
P
Yeah, my rain gear, especially the pants, are usually a last resort. Honestly, if it's 40* and pouring rain enough for me to put the pants on, I'm most likely finding a nice spot and waiting out the weather. If I get caught in transit where I can't stop, the jacket will go on but pants are still a last resort. I just put out too much heat from my legs and even "breathable" rain pants will have me sweating so much that I might as well just leave them off and get soaked from the rain. The only other time I would wear rain pants for an extended amount of time is if I needed a final warming layer for really cold weather. Even then, it's more of a sedentary usage like if I'm sitting on a cold, windy ridge.

Anyway, to cover your question, I don't change what I'm wearing and the rain pants are a protective layer, as jtw states, that come off as soon as I don't need them.

40 and raining hard enough to need pants? Pants with wool base layers. But I dont wear rain pants until its pouring and have every intention of taking them off when the rain lets up.

Western Washington and it's raining and likely not going to stop for a couple days. Traveling through brush and trees that are continually soaked means wearing pants or water is running down into your boots and soaking into your socks in about ten minutes. :( Rain pants it definitely is just wondering what everyone else wears. I know how i've done it in the past but it's too many layers.

Weekender

WKR
I'm a Washington hunter so I know what you mean. I don't mind hunting breathable rain pants as my legs don't get sweaty. Normally just leave camp with them on over long underwear. If it gonna get to warm wear shorts or colder I put on fleece pants over long underwear. Rarely wear pants under I can't really stand to many layers on my legs or any binding.

colonel00

WKR
Fair enough. Location and local climate definitely does change the game plan a bit. If I were living in my rain pants, I guess I would just treat them as my outer layer and wear whatever I needed underneath to stay warm yet avoid overheating. Thinking back, I did live in a set of Kryptek Poseidon jacket and pants for a few days this year in Alaska. But, it was mostly just sitting and not a lot of extended activity. Under the pants I just wore a pair of light hiking pants. Temps were probably in the upper 40s maybe low 50s. But, that's where I'm comfortable.

I guess looking at your question:

Shorts and rain pants? Might as well just wear your boxers/underwear and the rain pants serve as your do-all pants. Unless the shorts provide a level of warmth you need.

Wool base layer and rain pants? This could be a good option if you would typically wear the base layer under your regular hunting pants in the same temps without the rain and wet.

Hunting pants with briefs under (like Kuiu Attacks) then rain pants? For me, I would rather run the base layers than regular pants under rain pants but this could be an option if you think you will be taking the rain pants off at some point and don't want to roam the woods in your base layer bottoms alone. :D

Long wool base then hunting pants then rain pants? Sure, if it's really cold. For me, I think this would be too warm in temps above freezing while moving.

I think the main point here is, as with most things, personal preferences will play a big factor in what works for you as opposed to what works for other people. The same applies to sleep systems, shelter types, etc. etc.

jtw

WKR
Western Washington and it's raining and likely not going to stop for a couple days. Traveling through brush and trees that are continually soaked means wearing pants or water is running down into your boots and soaking into your socks in about ten minutes. :( Rain pants it definitely is just wondering what everyone else wears. I know how i've done it in the past but it's too many layers.
i live and do most of my hunting in Western Washington. While it does rain for days on end it's rarely heavy enough that a pair of water resistant pants and gaiters aren't enough. WIth that combo I'm fine in wet brush and up to moderate rains. Since I started wearing gaiters I have yet to get water running down into my boot. In the past few years I can think of only a few days where I had to wear rain pants the whole day.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're asking what we wear under our rain pants, then I'll just ask you what you wear under your rain jacket. Is there a difference? For me, rain gear is made to put on and take off as needed. No way I'm in the middle of a hunt and taking my rain pants off with just briefs on underneath.......or my base layers. My rain gear goes over my regular hunting clothes.

Weekender

WKR
If you're asking what we wear under our rain pants, then I'll just ask you what you wear under your rain jacket. Is there a difference? For me, rain gear is made to put on and take off as needed. No way I'm in the middle of a hunt and taking my rain pants off with just briefs on underneath.......or my base layers. My rain gear goes over my regular hunting clothes.

Well I've lived in the NW my whole life and worked outside for years in the rain. I've learned don't get over heated and don't get bound up. Like be comfortable underneath rain gear as your likely to wear them all day in the drizzle. I like long johns, fleece, sweat pants, etc. when I can get away with it (also goes for fishing waiters) most high end hunting pants work as well but I don't want the extra weight or drag on my rain gear. Btw I use Yukon pants which feel a little more like regular pants.

Either lightweight or heavy weight merino, depending on temperature. Rain pants with full length zips that allow heat to escape and a pair of merino bottoms is about the perfect combination for me the past few years.

Usually just wear that the duration of the hunt.

OP
P
I am of the opinion that I like to wear my hunting pants under rain pants because I would prefer not to wear them(rain pants) but sometimes its necessary. DWR coated pants do help with the minor residual brush and tree water after the rain stops and the wind has blown most of it off. As far as the rain jacket I usually remove any outer layer I have on and just leave the base and mid then put on the rain jacket. I was interested in how many wear base and just rain pants if you know its going to be raining all day. Lucky it didn't rain today at all so didn't need it. Thought it was going to be a soaker today, but I guess that is tomorrow.

Markdjr

FNG
I was in Oregon this fall by the coast, wore FL Kanabs under Chugach NX pants. Used the zippered vents and was very comfortable. I probably could have gotten away with Corrugate Guide Pant or similar.