What's the one piece of gear...

ckleeves

WKR
What's the one piece of gear that after "upgrading" you keep reverting back to something you have used for years while the new latest and greatest either goes unused or gets sold?

I know I'm not the only one and I have tons of things that I have supposedly upgraded to and then I find myself using my old reliable piece or pieces. I have many things I can think of: packs, knives, bows,arrows,clothing and few guns I wish I had back

Who else has done this and what's the item or items?

TEmbry

WKR
Clothing. I bought an entire system of Kuiu gear, yet find myself in clearance realtree camos for 75% of my hunts.

Treestands. I have a brand new lone wolf climber that I've never used... Can't give up the $30 sportsmans guides hang ons lol

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glenn Berry Elk Diaphragms.........over 25 years I have tried them all and I always go back to his reeds for bugles and bull calls.....I use other calls for mews, and various cows calls and such, but every single year I end up using his same elk diaphragms and kill another bull with them:)

OR Archer

WKR
I've used the same cheap sleep system for the past 5 years. I have a wish list a mile long on sleep gear that I want but end up never purchasing.

crumy

WKR
I have to use my gerber gator. I have a a havalon too, but the Gator has been used at least once on every animal I have harvested. I have to keep it around.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hiking pants....I've tried a bunch of them, but keep coming back to the $30 Columbia Aruba IIIs...so lightweight and dry so fast...plus they convert into some dead sexy shorts ;)

The comments about KUIU bring up an interesting point, and that is that we all need to get gear from the manufacturer who builds stuff to meet OUR needs and preferences. I am not trying to stand up and defend KUIU because some of their stuff I like and some just doesn't fit my needs, but Jason is building stuff for what he sees as the needs of the mountain hunter and his approach is to make it as light in weight as possible, using the latest fabric/material technology out there, and to make it high performance. That is the perfect mix for a lot of people (he sells thousands of units each year) but for others not so much.

Go with the guy who builds what you want/need at a price you can handle. If that is KUIU or Sitka then great, if what you can find at WalMart or Dick's Sporting Goods meets your needs then that's all good too.

Larry [climbing down off of short soap box]

littlebuf

Banned
Ive been wearing the same Sitka accent pants in MM for ever now it seems. there just the perfect pair of pants (for me) and I cant believe how long they've lasted. im hard on gear and I couldn't even begin to guess how many miles ive logged in them. tried others but these will have to fall off of me before I make a whole sale switch, even then ill probably try and find a pair of the same vintage used some where. I even tried a newer pair of accent pant and sold um

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been wearing the same Sitka accent pants in MM for ever now it seems. there just the perfect pair of pants (for me) and I cant believe how long they've lasted. im hard on gear and I couldn't even begin to guess how many miles ive logged in them. tried others but these will have to fall off of me before I make a whole sale switch, even then ill probably try and find a pair of the same vintage used some where. I even tried a newer pair of accent pant and sold um

Have two pair and they are fantastic. The Mountain pant is also great, but the Mimicry ascent pants are going on year 5 or 6 and I'll continue to use them until they fall apart.