What’s the logical choice here?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
After 20 years of hunting with my Remington 700 30-06, I’ve decided to buy a new rifle, specifically a Springfield Waypoint. I’m torn between getting it in .308 or the upcoming 7PRC.

I’d like to get the .308 because of ammo availability and cheaper cost, which in turn would let me shoot this rifle a lot more. I’m having a hard time purchasing at this price point for the old .308 though.

The 7PRC interests me due to wanting to do some long range shooting and maybe a PRS match every once in a while. Also this cartridge would be more suitable as a one gun that does it all.

I do not reload and have no plans to do so. My old 30-06 has served me well as a 400 yards or less rifle, but am wanting to get into something where I can take antelope and deer at 600-800 yards.

So, get a .308 and shoot a lot more but not have the long range capabilities, or get a 7PRC that will see less rounds down the tube, but capable to those further distances? I would obviously shoot enough to be proficient at extended ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AkRyan

WKR
The 30-06 you have will beat the .308 so you answer is 7prc or just stick with your 30-06 and shoot a 150-165g bullet to gain some velocity and range. Pretty much every "hunting" caliber will kill to 500yrds so your choices are endless.

i only looked at hornady and berger, but i didn't see any factory 308 loads there that would have enough velocity to upset at 800 yards.

davsco

WKR
a new blaster is always the right answer! yeah that 7prc looks super sexy, but it's brand new and untested. ammo is $100+ PER BOX on gunbroker now. but i'm considering a 7prc also...

how about 300 wsm. ballistics/energy etc are very close and way more prevalent and less expensive ammo.

Bucsfan69

FNG
That’s a tough choice. I love my .308, it’s tried and true.. but 6-800 yards, I personally don’t like the capabilities. 7PRC will definitely get you there but ammo is just ridiculous.
Depending on the game your hunting , a 6.5prc easily gets you that range and accuracy with a better ( slightly) ammo availability

I you do not plan to get into reloading at all and really want to shoot to 700yds, I think the 7prc is the answer. But yes it will be a time before the ammo is widely available and cheaper. So it may be wise to look at one of the other flat shooting one the waypoint is chambered for like the 6.5 PRC. It's only 0.5 less sexy than the 7

Gila

WKR
If you don’t handload, you will be limited with a 7 PRC....certainly won’t have very much flexibility with the loads you may want to shoot. A 7 Rem mag or a 300 win mag will get the job done and give you the ammo availability. The 7 or 300 mag will get you out to the bullseye past 1,000 yards. You can go light for Pronghorn, medium for deer and heavy for elk or moose. The 300 win mag gets a lot of hype about recoil, but with a Limbsaver, it really isn’t bad at all. I can and do shoot my 300 win mag all day long at the range. 30-40 rounds is nothing. No brake for me...

davsco

WKR
just fyi the gun & caliber you want for hunting is prob the opposite of what you want for prs. prs is all (or at least mostly) about light-recoiling calibers in heavy guns so it's super easy to see your splash way out there. hunting, you want lighter rifles to carry around all day, and heavier calibers to knock down big game. i haven't seen or done any yet, but there is something like a hunter league where hunting rifles are used.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Mainly due to cost of the ammo vs .308. Also availability for the next couple of years will be iffy, if it’s anything like what happened with 6.5 PRC. I can walk to my local gun stores in town here and find tons of .308 from $13.99/box of range ammo to $40/box of good stuff.

From the suggestions above I’ll look a bit more into the 300 WSM but it’s not chambered by Springfield. Shooting PRS is probably at the bottom of my list, it was just a thought that maybe I can use the same rifle I hunt with to shoot a few matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

svivian

WKR
Mainly due to cost of the ammo vs .308. Also availability for the next couple of years will be iffy, if it’s anything like what happened with 6.5 PRC. I can walk to my local mushrooms in town here and find tons of .308 from $13.99/box of range ammo to $40/box of good stuff.

From the suggestions above I’ll look a bit more into the 300 WSM but it’s not chambered by Springfield. Shooting PRS is probably at the bottom of my list, it was just a thought that maybe I can use the same rifle I hunt with to shoot a few matches.

I see and you are not wrong on that. If it's like the 6.5 PRC though the availability and cost will be better after a year or two. I just bought the 6.5 PRC this summer and have already stocked up on ammo and it averaged $44-$54 a box for match grade 147ELDM. Now i shoot that gun more than any other rifle i have.

On a few other forums I have seen guys buying quite a bit of the 7PRC factory ammo already but I haven't seen the price on it.

49ereric

WKR
Sounds like you know your 06 well so perhaps like was mentioned is a change of ammo to a premium variety with lighter grain & increase velocity for flatter shooting. Another option could be a better scope with reliable adjustable turrets for the 600 yard shoots. Hard to beat a man that knows his rifle.

Or . ... Go with that 308 Springfield rifle you're looking at. If you have a hunt you expect to need to shoot long, you could maybe have some custom '06 ammo loaded for your current gun that will be good to 700yds. May be able to do the same with custom 308 ammo... But I'm not sure on the outer limits of a regular length barrel 308 with really frangible bullets.

Hold your fingers 1/2 mm apart and ask yourself why the readily available 6.5 PRC won't do for you. It'll bust the piss out of anything you will ever hunt and be a bit more tame during any competition you might enter.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
All really good suggestions. A friend of mine reloads a lot and he’s offered up his shop and his time to help if I bought the dies, problem is I don’t have the spare time haha. I do know my 06 pretty dang well and there’s nothing wrong with it, except the long range part. If I had the funds I’d buy a lighter weight 308 for hunting and range practice, then the Springfield for long range in 7PRC, but those 2nd gun funds will be going to a nice scope.

I’ll consider the 6.5PRC as well, just more of a 7mm and .30 guy.

I guess ill be the one guy who tells you go with a 308. for the reasons you know and the forgotten fact that the 308 has been hitting steel at 1000 yds long before any of these new rounds, so its plenty capable. as far as hunting deer and antelope at 800 yds, you can do that with a 30-06.