What's something you wish you would have learned sooner in life

To respect the advice others with more experience are willing to give like it is gold. Especially the advice of not putting off what you can do today. Here I sit approaching 50 and only now about to go on my first elk hunt with bow in hand. I hope and expect that I can physically and mentally handle the grind. I came up with lots of reasons I couldn't for far too long.

kda082

WKR
Relax and enjoy the moment and not sweat little things. Time spent with family is worth way more than any hunt or work.

Mojave

WKR
1. Being single is awesome but unfulfilling long term.

2. If you really like a woman, don't try to sleep with her until you are enough dates in that she thinks of you as the one.

3. If you sleep with a chick too soon, you won't see her has a suitable mate. There is a careful balance.

4. Save enough money to retire on.

5. Never stop hunting. This doesn't matter if you are walking to the stand, or walking back to the truck from the mountain.

6. I have been fortunate to live on 5 continents. Spent half of my life overseas (writing this from Europe). Don't be afraid to see the world.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Told the wife how I felt a lot sooner than I did. It took me 20 years to find out she was crazy about me too. Maybe it happened that way for a reason. Either way, I’m happy now

fmyth

WKR
I wish I would have opened a Roth IRA in 1998 when it first became available. I always focused on making the most income possible. I should have focused more on making the most "after tax" income.

OP
turbo406

turbo406

FNG
I wish I would have opened a Roth IRA in 1998 when it first became available. I always focused on making the most income possible. I should have focused more on making the most "after
I've really thought about starting a Roth Ira lately but I contribute heavily enough into my standard Ira that I can't justify starting something new after watching it grow as it has. You still can't pull on them til 59 without tax implications can you?

fmyth

WKR
I've really thought about starting a Roth Ira lately but I contribute heavily enough into my standard Ira that I can't justify starting something new after watching it grow as it has. You still can't pull on them til 59 without tax implications can you?
Same as a traditional IRA 59 1/2yrs old. The big advantage is that all disbursements after 59 1/2 (5 yrs min) are tax free. I recently converted part of my IRA to a Roth and now contribute yearly to an IRA, a Roth IRA and a SEP. I'll have to pay income taxes this year on the amount I converted to the Roth but when I withdraw it in 5 years there will be no taxes due. It works for me. Your income/tax strategy/goals etc may be different.

Mt Al

WKR
Not sure where I read it or heard it, but;

"You are the average of the five people you spend most time with"

Made me stop and seriously consider who I was spending time with, what conversations I was having and how the trajectories of my 'friends' lives were going and what was important to them. Made some drastic changes in relationships, not easy, but all for the better.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I wish I would’ve learned to just go for it sooner. I’ve had several things I’ve really wanted to do but was too afraid of failure. Just be brave, gents. When it’s too late you’ll regret it.