What's it costing you to run your cellular cameras?

I've been doing some looking into the current cell camera offerings and data plans and finally just figured I'd ask on here. What's it costing you to run you're cellular cameras for a season or the year?
I'm running 20 Spypoint cell links and one Link Micro so 21 cameras essentially, I'm signed up for their club plan (forget what its called) for $100ish/year, which gets you to 250 pics a month on any device you activate, from there its $8 per 1000 pics/month/camera and $12 for unlimited.
I'm guessing it cost me around $200 total (Additional pics and initial club plan) to run 21 cameras for 4 months. I can get by with the 250 pics a month about 65-70% of the time depending on location and if I had to bump a few up it was only for a month or 2.
Anyway looks like the data to run a volume of cameras in most of the other systems is quite a bit more expensive, anybody have any hacks/tips/tricks? I'm pretty satisfied with my current set up, but also always curious about what else is out there.

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Your doing better than me!
$13 a month per camera for unlimited pics through Tactacam. The bigger expense is the INSANE amount of lithium AAs they use. Now converting to their solar panels ($60) and lithium cartridges ($50). Luckily you can adjust your plan monthy so I suspend most of them for 9 months of the year.

Johnboy

WKR
Your doing better than me!
$13 a month per camera for unlimited pics through Tactacam. The bigger expense is the INSANE amount of lithium AAs they use. Now converting to their solar panels ($60) and lithium cartridges ($50). Luckily you can adjust your plan monthy so I suspend most of them for 9 months of the year.
And those lithium AAs have more than doubled in price over the last year. Them things are obscene anymore. It pains me to think about ordering more batteries.

If spypoint would get their crap together and keep their cameras running they’d be the best way to go. I have 5 cameras and it’s always something, usually “not their fault”. Think I’ve had 2 cards go bad, that were brand new. Brand new lithium batteries that are dead after a month, or they quit responding. I can put all 5 cameras in a cluster and at least one will never pick up. I’m nearly over the spypoint headache!

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
If spypoint would get their crap together and keep their cameras running they’d be the best way to go. I have 5 cameras and it’s always something, usually “not their fault”. Think I’ve had 2 cards go bad, that were brand new. Brand new lithium batteries that are dead after a month, or they quit responding. I can put all 5 cameras in a cluster and at least one will never pick up. I’m nearly over the spypoint headache!
I could say the same for Tactacam. Frustrating! They seem to have better picture quality than the Spypoints I've had but drain batteries faster. Tactacam also has terrible/no customer support so there's that too.

I'd like to try a Browning at some point but hate learning new things.

Ridgetec cams are my most economical monthly option. It's $6.95 for my monthly data "pool" and $6/month for each additional camera. So I run 7 cameras on video mode for $42.95/month. Ridgetec gives you a nice lump sum of data when you activate a new camera and I'm still sitting on a surplus of data from activating my cameras. Eventually I'll probably need to pay a little more than $6.95/month for the pool data once my surplus is gone.

The video mode is very economical with data - the thumbnails it sends uses the minimum amount of data and I only download the videos that interest me and at the frame rate/resolution/duration that's acceptable to me it doesn't use much data either. The 10 second video duration also limits the # of triggers without necessarily losing intel because it's still recording for that 10 seconds rather than waiting to trigger again.

Browning is the worst when it comes to data costs. Spypoint is probably a little better than Tactacam.
I could say the same for Tactacam. Frustrating! They seem to have better picture quality than the Spypoints I've had but drain batteries faster. Tactacam also has terrible/no customer support so there's that too.

I'd like to try a Browning at some point but hate learning new things.

I would steer clear of browning cell cams. We had 9 running last year but i returned 3 of the defender ridgeline models for being unreliable and getting poor reception with their stubby antennas. Their data plans are the worst of the brands I use (Browning, Spypoint, tactacam, Ridgetec).

Spartan go cams are now $200. I have never used them but talked to enough people that have that I think they are better than most when it comes to reliability, function, and data cost. They don't have the fastest trigger times though. Ridgetec has been my favorite but they aren't troublefree either. I'm entering my 3rd season with them and have 7 of them. 1 had to be sent back in for a filter issue (wasn't switching between day and night mode) and i have 1 now that needs to go in for some hardware issue because it isn't checking in when it's scheduled to (only checking in randomly once or twice a day rather than every 4 hours as scheduled but still out there takin pics). Ridgetec has the best configuration and economical video set up ive used. I run most of them on video mode.

OP
S
I'm into browning cameras but I'd heard and read similar experiences to what you're having and have stayed away from their cellular offerings.
I totally get the disgust with spypoint, their customer service leaves alot to be desired. I had one link micro I was about to smash with a sledge hammer and on a whim I reformatted the card and reloaded the firm where again (Did it 3 times with no success last season) and the darn thing fired right up. I think I'm going to put it on driveway duty for the week and see what it does.
The technology has come a long way in the last few years, it will be interesting to see how it continues to progress and at what price points

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Funny you mentioned the sledge hammer. I tomahawked one of my original Tactacams in a slough. It needed to die!

Ridgetec cams are my most economical monthly option. It's $6.95 for my monthly data "pool" and $6/month for each additional camera. So I run 7 cameras on video mode for $42.95/month. Ridgetec gives you a nice lump sum of data when you activate a new camera and I'm still sitting on a surplus of data from activating my cameras. Eventually I'll probably need to pay a little more than $6.95/month for the pool data once my surplus is gone.
Ridgetec's look interesting. $300 tho. ouch. (worth it?)

Ridgetec's look interesting. $300 tho. ouch. (worth it?)
$257 shipped right now on trailcampro with SD card and a slate river mount.

I just purchased my 8th one and the 9th was just sent by trailcampro as a replacement to a failed/discontinued spypoint link-s-dark, so I think they are worth it.

Over the life span of the camera, the monthly savings eat into or make up what you'd save over the cheaper cameras. Besides that, the configurability and performance is way better than a reveal which is what makes it worth it to me. I currently have a tactacam reveal SK sitting where a ridgetec had been for a year prior. Its crazy how much it misses comparatively.

Toolbox

FNG
I have a few cuddebacks on a property and utilize the cuddelink system, so 3 cameras with one cell plan. The Verizon plan with 750 pic/mo. is about $17/mo. Imagine quality is so-so. Probably be trying a different solution next time

Stealth cams have been solid as a rock for me. Can get almost one year of run life out of one set of lithium's in very cold weather with cameras set to transmit photo's once per day. All these cameras are taking & transmitting 7-10,000 photos annually with zero problems. They also offer the solar 1000mAh Li-ion Battery or 3000mAh Li-Ion Battery that will run year-round with no Maintenace. The data plans are reasonable IMO:
1662739814928.png

rebels20

FNG
Tactacam $13 month unlimited on first cam then $12 for each one added after. Customer Service is amazing as well!

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Tactacam $13 month unlimited on first cam then $12 for each one added after. Customer Service is amazing as well!
I’ve had good experiences with their customer service as well. It was hinted at Tactacam will be offering an option like the cuddelink system in the very near future.

Hunt260

FNG
I’ve got 2 SPYPOINT and neither are working right now. I guess that’s why they’re the cheapest