What’s everyone’s go to shooting rest?

dkart004

FNG
Looking into buying swagger bipod for my coyote gun. Figured I’d ask if anybody had some experience with them first. Or what are everybody’s favorite shooting rests for predator calling?

IW17

FNG
How do you hunt? Seated or standing? For seated hunts I just prefer a low profile turkey hunting chair. I can rest the rifle on my knee to shoot. If I'm standing I use bog adrenaline sticks. Really any telescopic sticks work well and are easy to pack in and out. The only thing I don't like about the adrenaline sticks is that they're made from aluminum. I prefer carbon fiber or fiberglass just because aluminum can kink if you're not careful with them, causing it to be difficult or even impossible to extend or collapse them.

WCB

WKR
I'm prone most of the time so bipod. I just have the cheap Champion/Caldwell style...never had an issue with them. I do carry a set of fold out shooting sticks (maybe rapid sticks?) with me if I find myself wanting or needing to sit upright. Again never a complaint or missed dog due to rest.

Dejhavu

FNG
I use a Caldwell rock adj. front rest with allen sandbags for year, two heights for different conditions to target. forend stop is nice for putting rifle at same position each shot. Make sure bench is rock steady and seat is right height for your position. Good Shooting!

taskswap

WKR
I'm no long range sniper, so a monopod is all I need on most trips.

I know NONE of you knows what I'm talking about here, but I'm somehow simultaneously a big spender on hunting gear AND a cheapskate. So despite owning a Primos Trigger-stick tripod, a Triclawps gun mount for my Sirui tripod, and a mix of bipods from Harris and Swagger, I just use my hiking stick. :)

I took a Cascade trekking pole from Costco, drilled a hole in the top, and epoxied in about a 2" length of 1/4-20 all-thread. I left about a quarter inch sticking out. On this I mounted a V-style rifle yoke I got off Amazon, some generic brand. I think it was $15.

I hunt with the yoke mounted so I'm ready for any snap-shot need. (My last two elk were taken this way, standing.) One was 90 yards away, the other was 160. I'd say I'd be confident out to about 200 yards with this setup but 150 is about the sweet spot. For anything longer I shoot off my pack.

This means I also always have a monopod handy for glassing, which is nice when I'm hiking with my 15x56's - some support is nice for them but they don't always require a tripod like a spotting scope would. This particular model also has a double-height grip, so I can leave the stick tall enough for shooting while shifting my hand down for a more comfortable hike. I never adjust its length, I just leave it "tall" all day. If I'm shooting at an angle and need it shorter, I step forward a bit so it's at an angle.

MtnMike

FNG
For coyotes, I've been using the Bog deathgrip (link below). It is awesome! It holds the rifle steady and is easy to articulate and make a steady shot while being able to keep your hands free for calling, glassing etc. Honestly, it feels a bit like cheating as it makes it so easy to make steady shots. I took a coyote a few weeks back at 275 with it. (Tried to upload pic but server said it was too big of a file)

It's a bit more to carry in your kit but for longer shots it is a definite advantage. Highly recommended!

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/bog-d...O4gLJywQsvDYZBpVSSld8fcYjnVKc3vUaAswlEALw_wcB

For coyotes, I've been using the Bog deathgrip (link below). It is awesome! It holds the rifle steady and is easy to articulate and make a steady shot while being able to keep your hands free for calling, glassing etc. Honestly, it feels a bit like cheating as it makes it so easy to make steady shots. I took a coyote a few weeks back at 275 with it. (Tried to upload pic but server said it was too big of a file)

It's a bit more to carry in your kit but for longer shots it is a definite advantage. Highly recommended!

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/bog-d...O4gLJywQsvDYZBpVSSld8fcYjnVKc3vUaAswlEALw_wcB
I used one of those quite a bit one year. The legs are decent. The head is so so. I didn’t like when you pan, your rifle tilts if the tripod isn’t setup perfectly level.

I ended up taking out the guts and installed a bushing. Now I have a ball head on it so problem solved.

TheGDog

WKR
At most just the Kwik Stix or the Trigger Stick Tripod. Been learning I usually don't need them though.

Most of the time don't need them as I'm tucked in someplace stealth with the 3D Leafy on, so I'm taking my shots at them at like 10-40yds tops.

A pair of carbon fiber decoy stakes castration banded together....
IMG_0453_zpsrlwjh3az.jpg

IMG_0526_zpsehhk0nss.jpg

IMG_7881_zps16urwaqv.jpg

Bench_Talk

Lil-Rokslider
DSC00876 copy.JPGThis is the Bog Hunt Carbon Fiber Infinite tripod. Comes with an okay ball head with arca clamp and their proprietary hog saddle rifle clamp. I can say it is extremely sturdy, but isn't tall enough for me in the standing position (I'm 6'6' wouldn't expect it to fit me, but someone 6'2" and under should be good). Pretty decent for $450 and weighs 6lbs, perfect for calling

I ALWAYS try to lay prone if I can.

Especially these days where longer and longer shots are having to be the norm.

Summer when the covers tall I pack a pair of Vern Howeys sticks. As far as sticks go I really like them. But I still try to seek out short cover high spots if I can and get my dick in the dirt, as it were.

I use a tripod. I like to sit up. And tripod provides a very steady platform for me.

Attachments

• 858808CE-4AC9-4090-B18F-D6D7F1C74775.jpeg
    858808CE-4AC9-4090-B18F-D6D7F1C74775.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 35