What would you do: Kill elk with wounded leg on border of private property?

Good argument, ive also seen a whitetail doe on the way to deer camp, paved road, private property, jaw blown off, sure to die. We drove off, but not without a sour feeling of imprisonment of not being able to do the right thing. Harvest that deer and bring home for dinner, years ago it would not have been a question. To an extent i prefer a "old west" law system,

I shot a small buck deer that came by me one morning. He had a leg completely shot off. Bone hanging out.

I killed him. Everything was legal. I called the warden and he reimbursed my tag, and let me keep the deer. I told him I would not have shot the deer otherwise.

He told me very sternly to not do that again

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not to do what again? Question yourself over shooting a game animal that you had a tag for? I'm not certain I see the issue here.

I have a 3 legged cat that still kills mice and hell even brought in a bird the other day. My point being that animals are a lot tougher than we sometimes give them credit for, especially wild ones. That elk might still be running around just fine. I wouldn't have shot it unless it was on public ground or I had permission to hunt on that patch of private.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
A number of assumptions seem to be made here. First the elk is wounded from a bullet and not from perhaps a fall or some other self inflicted injury. Second assumption is the cow won't survive the injury. I would probably wish her luck and walk away. You could contact the property owner but I'm guessing you will get a big "NO" if they have hunters on it.

Not to do what again? Question yourself over shooting a game animal that you had a tag for? I'm not certain I see the issue here.
I'm going to assume that in this case he called and was seeking another tag for the "good deed" done. With proper tag and animal its about the only thing I can think of being told "not to do again "

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk