What would you do in this situation?

amassi

WKR
Your friend handled it correctly. If it went bad, he’d have to explain why he was hunting a week before d7 rifle season started. Unless this happened in a previous year.
D6/D7 opened the 21st.
c46b414cae264cd8c742dbb8e833ae56.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Op: glad your buddy didnt have to shoot the unleashed dog. Regardless of circumstances that wouldnt play well.
This is why I dont walk established trails on the east side of the d zones. Too many pct hikers and mtn bikers just not worth it

mlgc20

WKR
More and more I leave my sidearm at home and opt for bear spray. When archery hunting I will carry my XDs and bear spray. But, when I’m rifle hunting I will always have the bear spray and only carry the handgun occasionally. I really like having a “non-lethal” option. I feel like with the rifle and the bear spray, I am covering a wider variety of situations than a rifle and a handgun. I hadn’t really ever worried about or even considered the situation your friend was in. And I wouldn’t have faulted him if he pulled the trigger. But, even if it’s justified, many of us would have some significant guilt of shooting a dog. Even a mammoth German Shepherd. Glad this situation worked out.

OP
M
Your friend handled it correctly. If it went bad, he’d have to explain why he was hunting a week before d7 rifle season started. Unless this happened in a previous year.

My friend was hunting this past weekend - it is the opener for D7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I don't think it's really appropriate to unholster a defense weapon until your ready to use it. I know dogs can move fast, but brandishing a weapon is a big deal (and illegal in a lot of places). Without knowing further details it's hard to say though.

One question, how close was the dog (in feet) when the owner got ahold of him? If both the owner and your friend were able to yell back and forth several times and the owner was able to get to the dog before it attacked, it likely wasn't doing much other then growling, barking, and slowly moving forward...Maybe I read it wrong though.

After talking with my friend he said the dog was within two feet when the owner got a hold of him. He said that was another reason he stopped from pulling the trigger because the owner started getting close and was in the line of fire.

Marble

WKR
Ive had that situation happen to me more times than I could count. Meaning a dog charging at me. The difference between when they are going to actually bite you and are trying to posture is lessened. Never had to kill one.

Your buddy did a good job and read the situation correctly.

slick

WKR
As others have stated.. don’t yell. That only amplifies everything. Think of what that means to an already barking dog- you’re barking right back. Stay calm and be prepared to defend yourself if absolutely necessary.

Maybe it’s people that don’t spend time around dogs, but you can see it in their body language what their intent is. Hackles raised, head low, no excitability (the good kind) direct movement towards you.

I have a dog that is friendlier than shit, but will let out 3-10 barks when surprised on the trail, but does so while wagging his butt. Obviously I try and avoid him being surprised, but it happens. I’m surprised by the amount of people it scares. Their reaction either makes him nervous or shuts him up.

I get it’s stressful, but definitely just remaining calm and asking the owner to restrain their dog while having your hand at the ready would be my suggestion.

Fatcamp

WKR
As others have stated.. don’t yell. That only amplifies everything. Think of what that means to an already barking dog- you’re barking right back. Stay calm and be prepared to defend yourself if absolutely necessary.

Maybe it’s people that don’t spend time around dogs, but you can see it in their body language what their intent is. Hackles raised, head low, no excitability (the good kind) direct movement towards you.

I have a dog that is friendlier than shit, but will let out 3-10 barks when surprised on the trail, but does so while wagging his butt. Obviously I try and avoid him being surprised, but it happens. I’m surprised by the amount of people it scares. Their reaction either makes him nervous or shuts him up.

I get it’s stressful, but definitely just remaining calm and asking the owner to restrain their dog while having your hand at the ready would be my suggestion.

Or maybe the owner could have their dog under control from the beginning.

Sea37

FNG
D6/D7 opened the 21st.
c46b414cae264cd8c742dbb8e833ae56.jpg

I found a misprint in the regulations. Sorry about the confusion.

Attachments

• 6846BC56-1547-4A5C-A2A1-284B1551A3B0.jpeg
    6846BC56-1547-4A5C-A2A1-284B1551A3B0.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 55

jspradley

WKR
Or maybe the owner could have their dog under control from the beginning.

Can't control the actions of other people although I wish we could have "re-education" camps for people who don't control their dogs then act like the other person is at fault for defending themselves...

Your buddy handled things right I'd say, luckily he didn't have to shoot the dog.

Pepper spray works REALLY well on dogs

David CGS

FNG
Here is a scenario my buddy Josh ran into last weekend on a solo hunt in the high country in the Sierra National Forest- what would you do in this situation?
Josh was on a 3-4 day solo hunt for the deer rifle opener in CA - hunting D7 zone carrying a rifle and a handgun - no bear spray. He was camped at a lake at 9500 feet and was out hunting opening day and ran into a guy that was not hunting but hiking and he had an off leash dog. Josh described it as big 120 lb German Shepherd. As Josh came upon the guy in the forest and he announced himself as not to scare the hiker, But as soon as he announced himself the German Shepherd starting barking viciously moving toward my friend like he was going to attack. The owner of the dog started yelling and running toward the dog to try and get him to stop but the dog wasn't stopping according to my friend. The dog was within 10 feet, and my buddy scared he was going to get mauled by this dog, un-holstered his sidearm saying that he was going to shoot the dog if the owner didn't stop him. I can only image the scenario going from a friendly hello to about to defend himself against this dog in the matter of seconds. Talk about going from 0 to 100 fast. Josh said he didn't want to shoot the dog but he didn't want to get mauled by the dog either miles from help. He said it was instinct to defend himself. The owner was yelling at the dog trying to recall him and yelling at my buddy to not shoot his dog. Josh was yelling back for to stop the dog or he was going to shoot. It must have been an intense situation.
Luckily for everyone the owner of the dog was able to stop the German shepherd moments before he got to my buddy Josh and my buddy used very good self control and didn't fire on the dog to stop the threat.

Try to imagine this happening to you on a high country solo hunt. If put in the same scenario what would you do?
Probably would have had a hard time not shooting it.

Sure thing buddy.

Haven’t found a way to stop 3 barks at 100yards, if you’ve got a solution, I’m all ears.
Your kidding right? Were did you get 3 barks at 100 yards. It's the hunters fault and not the d-bag who can't control his dog? Weather it's a leash or by command that dog should have never got 2 feet from the guy in the first place. Put it down, I guarantee it wasnt the first time its happened.

I've found that yelling at the dog and all the noise, etc. only makes things worse. I've had similar run in's and the times that I've remained calm have ended far better than the times I've yelled or made a commotion.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
I think your buddy did just what almost any would've done.
When I moved to SD, while working some of us had a conversation about running free dogs and not one of them said anything but were all in agreement that if the dog(s) are running loose they've packed up and are no different than wolves so would shoot any if not all given the time. Loose dogs are nothing but trouble and should be handled in the proper manner, so livestock, pets and people are not hurt during their running. Just my .02 Hhardrock

FLAK

WKR
My wife and i were walking in our neighborhood a few months back and a pitbull came outta nowhere FAST and barking/growling. He came to within less than 10ft. I don't remember pulling my .380 but I fired a warning shot into the ground right in front of it. He left, slowly and reluctantly, but he left. He was within a millisecond of catching one in the noggin.
That's how I handled that situation. Every situation is different.

Always carry guys,,,,,Always.

slick

WKR
Your kidding right? Were did you get 3 barks at 100 yards. It's the hunters fault and not the d-bag who can't control his dog? Weather it's a leash or by command that dog should have never got 2 feet from the guy in the first place. Put it down, I guarantee it wasnt the first time its happened.

Sharp shooter- we’re referring to my dog, not the situation at hand