What type of shotgun for upland birds?

Good afternoon fellow hunters...

I live in BC Canada where is virtually no good upland hunting close to where I live so I joined a private club for pheasant and chukar. I currently hunt waterfowl and have a Benelli semi auto that I love but I am thinking it is too much for chukar in 12g. I am looking into buying either a 20g sxs or o/u with a preference to the sxs. I don't mind spending some cash but my thought is to try a used or cheaper gun to see if I like hunting with a sxs. My hesitation in getting an o/u is that I rather by a really nice one in 12g for the range for trap and sporting clays, hence going with the sxs. Sooo...my question to you all is what are your thoughts? Should I buy used or should I buy a new entry level gun like the Weatherby or CZ. Ultimately, I most likely will go with a higher end Italian, English or Browning, but should I do that now...so far, the only reason I like new or higher end is for choke tubes. Any thoughts, comments and gun reviews would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Chopper.

I've owned an Ithaca SKB model 100 sxs 20 gauge for more than 20 years. It has a 3" chamber, is an absolute treat to shoot, is lightweight, and points like an extension of myself. The barrels are imp/mod and it has a trigger mount barrel selector. Fantastic little scattergun for birds and small game.

I found one that's similar, and this one has fancier engraving than mine and a straight grip. Mine has the more standard style with pistol grip.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...nd-quail-grouse-spl-20ga.cfm?gun_id=102773450

Last edited:

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a double barrel shotgun, go with it. As far as what works for upland hunting, which I do plenty of including chuckar, a 12 gauge semi auto is my preferred choice. Here, for chuckar you can hunt with a full magazine and are not restricted to just three shells. Often, chuckar flush far if they are high pressure birds and the additional shot in a 12ga is helpful. Trying to kill as many birds in a flush is the key to success where I hunt as opportunities can be fleeting.

For grouse, a smaller gauge can be useful as the birds are often very close, but then again you can accomplish the same thing with a lighter 12ga shell

Dented

WKR
If you want to try a double, buy whatever fits you best. Used. Cheap.

If you don't like it, dump it. I love my sxs, but I shoot my ou better. And I hunt the sxs about 10:1 to the ou.

Mojave

WKR
Gun fit is important. You currently shoot one of the most adjustable guns made.

The Bennelli o/u is available in 12 gauge.

I would buy a Beretta or Browning over under. If you live in the lower mainland maybe there is someplace you could try a variety of shotguns in near Seattle.

rideold

WKR
I would base your decision on fit first and the barrel configuration second. Nothing worse than a pretty gun that you can't hit squat with. If you shoot the Benelli well then take the measurements off that and base your purchases off of that.

chemist

FNG
I hunt upland 30-40 times a year and at least once a year run a pump, semi, ou and sxs. They each have their advantages.

The most important thing is fit. You will likely be mounting the gun with non-ideal body positions. Fit becomes more important the more contorted you are.

My second rule is I have to be willing to put scratches on it. This means I personally like less expensive guns, but if you are willing to beat up an expensive gun go for it. For the private hunt club this may be less of an issue.

Many of my hunts are all day so the third consideration is weight. Once again this will depend on you and how you hunt.

Each barrel/action set up has advantages and disadvantages. It is personal preference. I prefer double barrels so I don't have to pick up hulls.

I am surprised you live in BC near enough population to have a hunt club and don't have decent forest grouse hunting nearby. Only been there twice but based on Washington and what I have seen of BC habitat I am surprised.

z987k

WKR
I'm looking at the same thing and handling the benelli montefeltro was so nice. I just want to shoot one to see if it's really worth the money and what the recoil on such a gun is going to be.

chemist

FNG
I'm looking at the same thing and handling the benelli montefeltro was so nice. I just want to shoot one to see if it's really worth the money and what the recoil on such a gun is going to be.
One of the guns I shoot is a 20 gauge montefeltro upland ultralight. On the clays course the recoil adds up after a few rounds. So I run 3/4 ounce loads in that application.

At the same time, I have shot 1.25 ounce loads through it at pheasants and huns and not been bothered by the recoil.

SloppyJ

WKR
Take an 870 up there and go smoke some birds. When you get done you've claimed the alpha spot.

+1 on getting a gun that fits you well, mount the guns in person to see how they feel and hopefully have someone to check the fit. You should be able to see the bead but not the top of the rib when you mount the fun solidly into your cheek.

Hunting farm birds is not very taxing. You could do it with a 28 gauge or just use target loads in a 12 gauge. It doesn't matter. You won't be walking for miles hunting preserve birds.

yfarm

WKR
I own a Citori Upland featherweight with english stock and 24” barrels, beautiful light shotgun but hard to shoot as balance is off with the 24” barrels. Bought a Lightning with 26” barrels and the fit and swing is perfect. Little heavier. The lightning just drops into a natural point on the target, the Upland always point high then you have to adjust down. LOP is the same, attribute this to the balance. Shoot a Rem 1100 Upland with straight stock and 21” barrel perfectly. Love the Citoris but shoot the Rem Upland most of the time, pheasants,quail and doves.

WRO

WKR
I have an older beretta sxs that I love in 20. It’s great to carry in the field.

Btw there’s plenty of wild chukars in bc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very similar situation to you. I shoot a Benelli M2 very well and is my go-to gun, but it's an ugly camo. I do a lot of quail hunting by myself with my dog and thought a 20 ga side by side would be interesting to try. Bought the CZ Bobwhite SxS since it has a good price and I do like it. The only problem is that I don't shoot it nearly as well as the M2. Normally, I shoot low to mid 40's on a 50 sporting clays course with the M2 and my try with the CZ was a 25 😭 Some days I do okay on birds, but I've also went 0 for 10 on quail. When you are trying to get a pup trained it isn't ideal.
I just bought a Stevens 555 O/U to try out and it seems to fit well. Shot low 30's on the course but it felt good.
Just shouldered a Beretta 486 28 ga at Cabelas and it felt awesome. $5k for a used gun might be doable, but after the CZ I'm not going to spend the money to try it out!
Go ahead and try a cheap CZ or Weatherby. Can't hurt since the prices are reasonable.

Macintosh

WKR
A cheap sxs or o/u works great and there are reasons people choose a break action gun over a pump or semi auto, but IMO the biggest reason to go sxs or o/u is for the different weight distribution and handling—but you simply cannot find that in an inexpensive new gun so I will always, 100% recommend a used sxs or o/u over a new bargain model. A sxs or o/u is a more complicated thing to make and is simply more $$$$ to get the same level of quality. If $ is an issue go with a good semiauto. There is zero reason that a 12ga is “too much”, just use lighter shells. A 20ga shooting an ounce or 7/8oz of shot does exactly the same thing as a 12ga shooting an ounce of shot, and no bird can tell the difference. The only issue will be if your semiauto will reliably cycle lighter loads, some wont cycle 1oz loads at all.
Choke tubes are way overrated in a double, and possibly even harmful in some game guns due to the need to make barrels heavier to accept them. You do not need choke tubes unless you are going back and forth between extremes, ie skeet choke one day and super-full turkey choke the next. In a double ic and lm or m will allow you to do almost anything. Dont overthink it. In a pump or semi, short of a specialty application like turkeys or grouse/woodcock at ultra-short range, you could do worse than to simply throw in a IC or light-modified choke and leave it.
Pen-raised chukars and pheasants at a preserve generally don't require nearly the firepower that people often use on wild birds.
Agree with those talking about fit.

Id try your existing gun first, try some
Friends guns, and only then decide if you need anything different.

Last edited:
My thoughts on the shotguns for bird hunting are in order of Fabarm, A400, Maxus, and 1100. This obviously is purely subjective and based on my experiences, you would have to find the one that fits you. There are so many variations of the models mentioned too.

My personal favorite for ducks are a Browning Citori white lighting classic 20 ga. and Browning A-5 mag. 20 ga. Congrats on your retirement from LE, its a good time to get out! Happy hunting.

WRO

WKR
A cheap sxs or o/u works great and there are reasons people choose a break action gun over a pump or semi auto, but IMO the biggest reason to go sxs or o/u is for the different weight distribution and handling—but you simply cannot find that in an inexpensive new gun so I will always, 100% recommend a used sxs or o/u over a new bargain model. A sxs or o/u is a more complicated thing to make and is simply more $$$$ to get the same level of quality. If $ is an issue go with a good semiauto. There is zero reason that a 12ga is “too much”, just use lighter shells. A 20ga shooting an ounce or 7/8oz of shot does exactly the same thing as a 12ga shooting an ounce of shot, and no bird can tell the difference. The only issue will be if your semiauto will reliably cycle lighter loads, some wont cycle 1oz loads at all.
Choke tubes are way overrated in a double, and possibly even harmful in some game guns due to the need to make barrels heavier to accept them. You do not need choke tubes unless you are going back and forth between extremes, ie skeet choke one day and super-full turkey choke the next. In a double ic and lm or m will allow you to do almost anything. Dont overthink it. In a pump or semi, short of a specialty application like turkeys or grouse/woodcock at ultra-short range, you could do worse than to simply throw in a IC or light-modified choke and leave it.
Pen-raised chukars and pheasants at a preserve generally don't require nearly the firepower that people often use on wild birds.
Agree with those talking about fit.

Id try your existing gun first, try some
Friends guns, and only then decide if you need anything different.

Great advice on used, I’ve seen multiple nice berettas at the same prices as a new Cz.

Bluefish

WKR
Cheap o/u and sxs are cheap for a reason. My stoeger sxs is poorly regulated with a measurably different poi for each barrel. It’s ok as it’s my sass shotgun and targets are 10 yards away. Would not want to hunt with it. The poor quality is why there are lots of the cheap, ie sub 500 break actions on the used racks.

The starting point should be CZ or Yildiz for Turkish break actions. Also as others have mentioned look for used. An entry level clay gun is really beretta 68x or browning. Sxs are harder to find reasonable and good quality. Expect to be 3k+ for a decent new sxs that’s not made in turkey.

WRO

WKR
Cheap o/u and sxs are cheap for a reason. My stoeger sxs is poorly regulated with a measurably different poi for each barrel. It’s ok as it’s my sass shotgun and targets are 10 yards away. Would not want to hunt with it. The poor quality is why there are lots of the cheap, ie sub 500 break actions on the used racks.

The starting point should be CZ or Yildiz for Turkish break actions. Also as others have mentioned look for used. An entry level clay gun is really beretta 68x or browning. Sxs are harder to find reasonable and good quality. Expect to be 3k+ for a decent new sxs that’s not made in turkey.

You can get a base beretta 686 for 2k, white wings and base used models can be found for less than 1200 pretty regularly. I bought my silver hawk used for ~1200.
85c7e46c63b8f28f20ef7e7d6b959ca0.jpg

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
I run a benelli ethos cordoba 28gauge for semi auto and Blaser f3 for over under. Love both. Blaser f3 can be run In all main calibers with same shouldering.