What trailer should I buy?

IDShane

WKR
I have been thinking about upgrading my trailer for the past few years and this might be the year. I currently have a 8 year old PJ 14 x 7 single axle with a flip up loading ramp. I have had 2 of these things and really like them as they are pretty easy to move around but I fear its a bit light for my use. I haul my Can am Defender cab on it and would like a trailer that I could haul my small tractor on an occasional vehicle. I also haul wood from time to time. I am just looking for some opinions on what has worked for you. I have looked at everything and all of them are on the table :
16' Tandem axle utility trailer (cheapest option)
14ft Dump trailer (I have other things I could do with this but its not necessary).
18-20 ft tilt deck
14-16 ft Enclosed tandem axle (not necessary but always wanted one.)
18-20 ft Construction trailer with flip up ramps
I am really not interested in a car trailer as I really do not care for the build of them.

Kinda depends on what you’re pulling it with but I would look into a deck over (with monster ramps if in your budget), tilt or equipment w/ 7k axles and 14 ply tires. If your loading pallets/ materials often the deck over will be best suited. If your moving the buggy around the most the tilt trailer will likely be the best and if it’s split 50/50 the equipment trailer would prob be my pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 20' buggy hauler. 14k, no dovetail. (pull out ramps)

Same width as a deck over, drive over fenders. Can fit a 1 to truck between the fenders.

Absolutely love it. No complaints.

I have a 18' x 14K tandem axle tilt deck for my skid loader and a 22' w/ dovetail and flip up ramps tandem axle 7K for my sub-compact backhoe and other equipment I might need for it on a job, and a 7'x12'x 12K tandem axle dump trailer w/ pull out ramps, that I also haul my skid loader in when I need both on the jobsite. For your needs I would go with the dump trailer as a 1st choice since its universal in uses, and the tilt bed as a 2nd choice since it's way better than the construction type w/ ramps in my opinion, unless you are loading up really heavy equipment at which point the construction type is best. That's why I have a variety of trailers, some of which I didn't list here. An enclosed trailer is the least advisable since it is so constrained in it's use. I have a 7x14 x 7K tandem enclosed trailer I use for landscaping equipment so I can have everything kept in a single trailer that I can hook up to and go.

I have a dump trailer… not too crazy when I haul two dirt bikes and a quad for the kids but also really nice for hauling gravel, wood, or construction debris. Big Tex makes a nice one.

Of course prices have gone nuts just like everything else so there is that.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a variety of trailers for work, for just general hauling I prefer my 22’ tilt deck. I am not a fan of deckover trailers if you don’t need the extra width. The lower center of gravity on a trailer with fenders is a plus if what you are hauling fits between them. I use mine to haul all sorts of stuff and it’s nice to load low vehicles or tracked equipment onto it.

I use a dump trailer daily and haul all sorts of things in it including equipment. It’s the most versatile but also the biggest pain when hauling equipment or palletized stuff. It sucks climbing around in there tying down equipment with the higher sides, for hauling loose materials it’s the way to go. Loading and unloading firewood is much better suited to a dump trailer, and it’s nice to be able to haul sand, gravel, or topsoil if needed.

If I had to have just one trailer it would be a dump just because they can do so much, the problem is they are short and will be limited as far as size of things you can put in it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Tilt deck trailers are great for construction equipment or short vehicles. They typically suck for longer vehicles and are heavy, for what you are describing. I have an 18' tilt with a 4' stationary front, and it's great for the excavator and track loader, but I can't load a pickup on it due to the truck length, causing the trailer to tilt before both front and rear tires are on it.

Enclosed trailers are awesome if you want to haul your SxS and use them for gear and camping. I use one for hauling a SxS a lot and it works well. They suck for tying down the machine, and I haven't seen one that has a ramp sturdy enough for most tractors.

I have two dump trailers (7x14, 14k and 7x16, 21k). They are awesome for hauling loose stuff but suck for everything else. They do work for hauling equipment, but it is less than ideal due to the deck height and weight of the ramps, and it's a pain to tie things down inside.

1000002447.jpg

A tandem axle flatbed would be my choice for hauling a SxS, tractor, and car/truck.

1000002065.jpg

This single axle I borrowed for a trip worked great but double axle is way better imo and would be needed for heavier loads.

Last edited:

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I can't load a pickup on it due to the truck length, causing the trailer to tilt before both front and rear tires are on it.

I forgot about this problem, any time I loaded a vehicle on one it was a full tilt. My current one is split with a 16’ tilting section and 6’ fixed. It has a lock out feature that is supposed to keep it from tilting until all the tires are on the trailer but I’m not sure I trust that little cylinder to take that much abuse. I think I would have to back a truck on the trailer to make that system work for me but getting the right tongue weight could be an issue then.

I will say with using tracked equipment and my man lift I much prefer the tilt deck over any ramp trailer. The load angle is a lot nicer and working residential in short driveways and on tight streets it’s nice not having the added length of the ramps to deal with too when loading and unloading.

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
If you want to haul a tractor, I'd go with a twin axle. I have a small 30 HP Kubota and it is about 3700 lbs if I recall. A friend just got a 14' twin axle dump trailer and that thing is awesome. He hauls his tractor in it and we have put A LOT of firewood in that thing and being able to dump it saves a ton of time unloading.

Brooks

WKR
No matter what trailer you get I would get 14 ply tires. I haul a Case 75C tractor with a loader on a tandem trailer and I blew out 3 of those funky Chinese tires on it in one day.

Machingeaneer

Lil-Rokslider
Probably makes less of a difference with a diesel but any enclosed I've pulled with gassers had a dramatic effect on fuel economy. If you're taking it on a lot of trips with it it might make a difference to you.

JCooper

FNG
We had the same 14x7 pj as everyone else. Hauling our canam defender max cab model we broke leaf springs then bent an axle. There not heavy enough. Bought 2 new 3500lb axles and converted it over to a tandem. Works great now.

Attachments

• IMG_3670.jpeg
    IMG_3670.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 16