What to shoot and not to shoot for bull elk?

I have a early rifle bull elk hunt in unit 22 comming up,This Is my first elk hunt, how big Is a nice bull thease days, does 320 inch bull opening morning soud good?

22N has some big bulls if you know how to hunt them. Spent a decent amount of time in that country. I hate going home empty handed and love eating elk, so I'd hope for an honest 330"+ but would shoot a 300"ish bull toward the end of the hunt. Most AZ guys hold out for bigger, or at least say they will. 300" is big to a guy who grew up hunting OTC in Colorado.

OP
Coues Crazy
How many days are you hunting? I probably wouldn’t even give a 400 incher a second look until the last half, or last couple days of a hunt.
we are hunting the full week till I shoot a bulll and Im also 14 this is my first bull elk hunt, so I don't need any record bull I just want somthing good to eat and good to look at

Laramie

WKR
we are hunting the full week till I shoot a bulll and Im also 14 this is my first bull elk hunt, so I don't need any record bull I just want somthing good to eat and good to look at
Good luck young man. As others have mentioned, don't get caught up in score. In the end it really doesn't mean anything. Shoot the bull that gets you excited. Take a little time to commit some of the experience to memory. I can still vividly remember my first elk hunt. It is a memory that I love to think about even now 33 years later.

Good luck young man. As others have mentioned, don't get caught up in score. In the end it really doesn't mean anything. Shoot the bull that gets you excited. Take a little time to commit some of the experience to memory. I can still vividly remember my first elk hunt. It is a memory that I love to think about even now 33 years later.
A lot of this depends on how much scouting time and effort you have put into the hunt. Have you been out there, identified multiple bulls, and got a good understanding of the unit and it's elk? If you have been scouting for months, and have a number of good bulls (that you like the look of, and that make you happy) located, then sure, go crazy trying to tag the biggest one you know is there. If you are going in blind, and hoping a 400" elk walks in front of you on opening morning, you might want to buy some lottery tickets while you are at it, because that would be the luckiest day of your life. Ultimately, you only get one first elk hunt, and the memories are the important part. I hunt Colorado public land, and have been hunting elk for more than 30 years, and can honestly say I've probably ever only even seen a dozen bulls while I was hunting that would score over 340"-350" in my life... and I've seen hundreds of bulls. Arizona may be different, so my frame of reference may be off, but I think you should take the scoring with a grain of salt, because ultimately it doesn't matter one bit. Go out, have fun, learn, and enjoy yourself. Don't pass a bull on the first day that you would be happy with on the last day, because you may not get another chance. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
OP
Coues Crazy
Ive been hunting since I was 6 we have a big family so there is at least 4 or 5 hunts each year im familiar with elk, couse, mule deer, so I know mostly what im doing, I have 7 uncles my dad my brothers and some friends to help my out im just pumped to get out there and be able to have the privilege to hear those amazing bugles and hopefully get a nice looking bull
thanks for the replys