What to do with these antlers?

Hey guys I cut these antlers off a buck this morning that had been hit by a car. It must have been just moments before I came through. I’ve never had antlers with velvet on them. I thought I’d post here in the Mulie section since y’all guys deal with this all the time. I know I can’t preserve the velvet unfortunately. Should I strip it now or let it dry out a little and strip it off. If I don’t do anything will it get rancid? This is a whitetail in Alabama.
888217f32a7f7e0eff4993ab15b673bb.jpg

0637cab31f9e9095eb5eb1ea3b480cc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiMtnHntr

WKR
There’s a preservative called velvalock that is a lot safer than others. Put the antlers in a deep freeze and spray them later if you want to preserve the velvet.

Reactions: Duh
OP
aclawrence
Thanks for the replies guys. I will put them in the freezer this morning if it’s not too late and order the stuff. I had never felt a velvet antler and I’m amazed how soft it is. It makes me want to get in on the velvet hunt down here in Tennessee. Good luck chasing Mule Deer this year everyone. They are on my bucket list.

Rich M

WKR
I shot a velvet spike and a velvet 7 pointer - the velvet will just dry and shrink and look like old leather after a few years. I didn't know about velvet preserving stuff.

See of you can preserve the velvet - maybe drill a hole in each antler and put on a leather "shoelace" and hang on the wall - not many folks have velvet "rattling antlers".

I had my velvet buck freeze dried. I think you could achieve a similar result by just having them in the deep freeze for an extended period, without the chemicals.

Bess Maid out of Louisiana has a velvet tan/preservative that worked wonders for a velvet buck my brother killed. Search it on internet.

KenLee

WKR
Ida skint him out. Usually at least 60% of the meat is usable.
Meat in the freezer helps keep my trigger finger from getting itchy on those "next year trophies".

WRO

WKR
Freeze them and sell to the Chinese for boner pills.

Duh

WKR
I used velvalock on a buck this year and it was super easy. Got it on about 12 hours after shooting the buck and thought I was going to lose velvet. Never lost velvet. I’d definitely use that stuff again.

Time2time

FNG
My son shot a fuzzy horned bull. Freezer and several bottles of velvalock did the trick.