What Temp bag for SW CO archery?

geriggs

WKR
Unless you are at 12000 feet I think a 20 deg bag is fine. I think it’s equally important to have a well made insulated pad. Don’t skimp on the pad. I have never used anymore than a 20 deg bag in NW Colorado. I make sure I have a quality insulated pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year at 10k feet, beginning of the season it was 50 degrees at night. 10 days later it was in the 20s.

Be prepared for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sivart

WKR
Unless it’s a rare year, assuming you buy a reputable bag and are not an inherently cold sleeper, a 20 degree bag is all you’ll need.

I live in SW CO and have been in a sleeping bag between 8 and 12k every single weekend of Sept for the last 6 years straight. If you do get hit with an unusual cold front, it seldom last more than one night for the brunt of it. You can always sleep in some extra layers or even have a bag liner on hand.

This past September, I’m not sure I even cinched or buttoned up the top of my 20 degree quilt a single time -perfectly comfortable using it as a blanket. Lows in the mid to high 30s - low 40s is typical with obvious elevation and moisture variance, but it’s usually not “cold” and if it is, it’s usually not for long as the days get so warm. Don’t listen to the “zero degree bag or you might die” drama queens.
Which quilt do you have?

Sept mz season at 11 k I use 20* Teton sports bag with lots of clothes on! I used a better quality 30* marmot bag and was cold. Traded for the 20* bag when I had to get back to car halfway into the trip.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Another idea that’s worked well for me and still light weight and packable is get a solid 20 deg bag and then put a 40deg quilt over.

I’ve had mine down to 10deg without issue. Guessing would be good close to 0.

St.CroixArcher

Lil-Rokslider
I’m also planning my first trip out west and got a 20 degree bag and was feeling good about it, kinda wish I hadn‘t read this thread because now I’m rethinking the whole thing.

BBob

WKR
I’m also planning my first trip out west and got a 20 degree bag and was feeling good about it, kinda wish I hadn‘t read this thread because now I’m rethinking the whole thing.

I’d bet your 20° will be fine. Last year I used 30° El Coyote quilt up to 10K, X-Therm pad, under a tarp. Was never cold and don’t recall ever having to hunker down at all. Slept in my Tiburon pants and a light merino long sleeve top. Depending on the night mby a beanie here and there.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’d bet your 20° will be fine. Last year I used 30° El Coyote quilt up to 10K, X-Therm pad, under a tarp. Was never cold and don’t recall ever having to hunker down at all. Slept in my Tiburon pants and a light merino long sleeve top. Depending on the night mby a beanie here and there.
Good point in that the pad makes a good difference. I use the nemo tensor. I’d recommend 4+ R value pad and you’ll buy yourself some breathing room as you approach 20deg temps.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
15° for me in archery. If I know Temps will dip below 10° I'll take my 0° bag. I normally carry my puffy jacket and pants as well which help out alot inside those bags if you need it. Never had a issue being cold in the past, but all people sleep different.