what socks?

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Decided to try a pair of Darn Tough's. Ended up with a pair of DT1405's (Hike.Trek full cushion). Wore them this morning on my normal Saturday morning pack hike with a new pair of green superfeet and more weight in the pack. Comments: too much cushion (might not need the full cushion version), itchier than the Smartwools, feet kept dry, between the superfeet and the socks--I don't seem to have any wiggle room left in the boot. Do I need to try a different version of the Darn Tough's and if so, which one? Thinking either a 1403 or a 1460 and what is the difference? Anyone wearing liners or just the socks?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The only piece of Armor Under that has not been replaced with something better for me is the Cold Gear Sock. They are the best socks I have ever used in any condition. Pull moisture off when active. Warm when sitting. I may have to try thses Darn Tough's though.

cmeier117

WKR
Decided to try a pair of Darn Tough's. Ended up with a pair of DT1405's (Hike.Trek full cushion). Wore them this morning on my normal Saturday morning pack hike with a new pair of green superfeet and more weight in the pack. Comments: too much cushion (might not need the full cushion version), itchier than the Smartwools, feet kept dry, between the superfeet and the socks--I don't seem to have any wiggle room left in the boot. Do I need to try a different version of the Darn Tough's and if so, which one? Thinking either a 1403 or a 1460 and what is the difference? Anyone wearing liners or just the socks?

Ditch the full cushion versions.

krummholz

FNG
I really like the SmartWool PhD Outdoor socks, they stay comfortable and in place for multiple days without stretching out or getting stinky. But I hated the standard SmartWool Hiker socks, they slipped down and bunched up inside my boot just wearing them around the house for a test run. So make sure you try the different styles and not just go for a recommended brand.

bounds

WKR
My favorite is one that I haven't heard anyone mention yet, Fits. I work as a footwear buyer for an outdoor company and so I am fortunate enough to get to use all of them, and Fits are my favorite. They are made right here in the USA. They have the best fit (hence the name) of any sock I've worn and they've stood up to a lot of abuse. They also are the softest of any of the others mentioned. Darn Tough's are next, but they don't have the same plush feel and don't fit as well. Check them out.

Lost Arra

FNG

I only use the Darn Tough boot socks rather than Hike-Trek (I have no idea if that makes a difference). I have both the "cushion" (bottom of the sock) and "full cushion" (top and bottom) socks in Coolmax and merino. My selection depends on the weather and the boots I'm wearing. I usually wear full cushion with Mucks in a treestand and cushion otherwise.

I guess I need to try Smartwool again because all of my Darn Tough are less itchy than my current SW.

Use SW for trail running, street running, summer/winter. Us them for hunting with a Cabelas Cool max liner. Only grip on the SW is they usually won't last more than a season, running that is. Other than that there are great. One thing I have noticed is if ya wear them for about three days straight and they turn to cardboard, a little scrub a dub dub in the creek and they clean up good with no soap.

bounds

WKR
cmeier

I like the Light Hiker Crew or the Light Runner Low for warm weather or when I'm just wearing trail runners. For cooler weather and more cushion I really like the Medium Hiker. I also have some of the Rugged Crew's but haven't got to wear them much. They give plenty of cushion and are ultra soft on the feet.

cmeier117

WKR
cmeier

I like the Light Hiker Crew or the Light Runner Low for warm weather or when I'm just wearing trail runners. For cooler weather and more cushion I really like the Medium Hiker. I also have some of the Rugged Crew's but haven't got to wear them much. They give plenty of cushion and are ultra soft on the feet.

I take it they have a good FIT. ;) Are they tight around your feet and don't slide around.

I picked up a few pairs of the Kennetrek lightweight Canyon sock and midweight Montana sock as well as a few pairs of their liners. Used them last year on my elk hunt in New Mexico with a brand new pair of Kennetrek Mountain safaris and never had any feet issues whatsoever. We were hiking a good 5-10 miles a day. It was good enough for me to stick with them this year!