What size sleeping bag?

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I went to look at some sleeping bags today and the lady there said that you are supposed to get a bag that has at least 3-5 inches of free space at the bottom of the bag. She said having the extra space will make the bag warmer. I'm about exactly 6 feet tall and tried a 6 foot bag and I thought it fit pretty good with maybe an inch or two of space beyond my toes. The lady said I should go with the next size up though which is a 6'6" bag. Is that correct? If I go with that bigger one, I'll have probably 8 inches of bag beyond my feet. Sooooooo, how much extra space do you guys like to have past your feet?

dotman

WKR
Well not sure, all bags fit different. If you were to get a kifaru slick bag I would recommend a reg but quite a few reg bags are to small so it will just depend on what bag you decide on. I say decide what bag you want then research reviews on fit, true to temp, quality, etc.

So basicly a 6ft bag is not always big enough. Kifaru does have specs on their reg bag, compare that to other bags that are supposedly a 6ft bag.

I personally like 5in or more, I don't like to feel tight in a bag and you can dry clothes by putting them at your feet.

Lawnboi

WKR
Its nice to have a longer bag if you like sticking stuff down by the feet to stay warm, like clothing. I never do that though.

If theres nothing down there all it is, is dead air space that your going to have to heat up. dead air pockets will not keep you warmer, they will be those 'cold spots' Best to get the bag thats the most comfortable and fits you best.

I like to have atleast enough room to put a nalgene full of boiling water by my feet, that keeps them warm almost all night.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I am 6' and i went with the long, i dont like my feet touching the end of the bag. And like said, you can put clothes or water bottle down there if you have extra room.

dimrod

FNG
I'm 5'11" and use the standard 6 foot bag. My feet seem to get colder in the 6'6" bags I've used. I guess I prefer a closer fit around my dogs.

Beastmode

WKR
I prefer a fit with an inch or two past my toes. You can still put clothes down there if you need but never have. I wouldn't want 8 inches of air down there.