What Sitka gear "clothes" to take..

tntrker

WKR
Headed to NW Montana next week, I know about the lack of animals and rugged there, but this is also a test for myself. What would be my "Sitka essentials" to take with temps in highs low 30's lows low 20's, snow/rain, hiking in/out daily. Trying not to overpack as much as normal..

WTFJohn

WKR
What kind of clothes do you typically wear when active in those conditions? Wear that.

If you have no experience in those conditions, you're going to learn some tough lessons that are hard to convey via text.

For starters, state what gear you have. In general, you'll want a warm hat, sunglasses, a buff, multiple layers on your upper body, a wind/waterproof layer, a puffy insulation layer, thin & thick gloves, long underwear, water resistant/proof pants with knee pads, warm socks, waterproof (and maybe insulated) boots, gaiters, and a sitting pad. Crampons or microspikes will be invaluable if it's a freeze/thaw cycle and there is mud or ice.

If you're hiking in and out every day, you can pack whatever you want in the truck and add/cull to your gear as needed. A boot dryer at the truck or hotel is a good call too, nothing sucks like cold wet boots.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
What kind of clothes do you typically wear when active in those conditions? Wear that.

If you have no experience in those conditions, you're going to learn some tough lessons that are hard to convey via text.

For starters, state what gear you have. In general, you'll want a warm hat, sunglasses, a buff, multiple layers on your upper body, a wind/waterproof layer, a puffy insulation layer, thin & thick gloves, long underwear, water resistant/proof pants with knee pads, warm socks, waterproof (and maybe insulated) boots, gaiters, and a sitting pad. Crampons or microspikes will be invaluable if it's a freeze/thaw cycle and there is mud or ice.

If you're hiking in and out every day, you can pack whatever you want in the truck and add/cull to your gear as needed. A boot dryer at the truck or hotel is a good call too, nothing sucks like cold wet boot.
South Carolina is not a relaibe testing ground for the Rockies. I have probably 90% of the stika big game collection. Just looking for laying options for that area/conditions without having a backpack full of clothes at the start. Just seeing what works for those out there. I have Cloud Burst for Rain gear. For glassing I'm thinking Kelvin 3/4 down pants, Kelvin Down jacket. Jetstream Jacket always goes, base layers LTWT and Hvywt a must. Mid-layer info is what I want advise on.

WTFJohn

WKR
South Carolina is not a relaibe testing ground for the Rockies. I have probably 90% of the stika big game collection. Just looking for laying options for that area/conditions without having a backpack full of clothes at the start. Just seeing what works for those out there. I have Cloud Burst for Rain gear. For glassing I'm thinking Kelvin 3/4 down pants, Kelvin Down jacket. Jetstream Jacket always goes, base layers LTWT and Hvywt a must. Mid-layer info is what I want advise on.

That's going to depend on how your body builds heat while hiking/holds it while resting, and if you're hot or cold-natured. I live in the mountains at 8,000 feet; so I get away with wearing fewer/thinner layers than most other people. In 20-30* temps, I am usually wearing two thinner layers close to my body and a wind shell or soft shell of some type. I'll wear that down into the teens before I add another layer while active. I add or remove based on activity level, sun exposure, snow/rain, etc... and it's different even for two people hiking together.

These are the things that can't be conveyed well until you experience them, and at some point you'll get it wrong by carrying too much stuff and not wearing it, or not bringing something and being miserably cold or wet.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Everything is dependent on you. Are you camping from your truck or packing in? That makes a huge difference.

If it were me and what I own:
-Ambient Hoodie
-Midweight Zip Tee
-Core LW LS
-Lightweight merino bottoms
-Timberline Pants

I would hike in the stuff listed above. I hike a little warm, especially with a pack. If you’re “hiking” but you’re closer to a still hunt than a hike, maybe you’d want heavier stuff.

I’d take both your down pants and jacket to wear once you stop moving. Rain gear on top of that to cut wind and moisture. The Jetstream is kind of the odd one out here, it’s probably just extra weight. Too hot for hiking but not warm enough for once you stop in those temps.

As WTFJohn said, all of this is dependent on you and it takes time to figure out. You may wear the stuff I would and freeze or sweat like a pig.

I would bring an Apex or Fanatic for a mid layer, though I suspect you won’t really use it much unless it is quite cold when you are not active.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
good merino or synthetic baselayers of your choice. I like lite merino bottoms and synthetic tops (core LW hoody), but that's just me. ambient hoody or core heavyweight hoody as a second layer, puffy jacket (maybe pants too if it's cold, I use other brands not sitka), rain shell and pants (OR Foray II), pants for sitka I would go timberlines probably. I have a Jetstream jacket too but seem to be using it less and less. a puffy jacket/pants and a rain shells are quite a bit more versatile and useful IMO. Good luck hope you find some critters!!!