What should I know for long range match?

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Not really sure if this is the best place for this but I'm going to try shooting in my first prs style match next Saturday and was curious if I could get some pointers from the guys that do it regularly. I'm hoping this will be good practice for shooting in non conventional positions under stress. The range that is putting it on is pretty informal so I don't have a lot of info but it sounds like its 8 stages with 8 targets per stage out to I believe 800yds (will edit when I get more concrete info). I was told guys will lend me bags are any specific gear that would make life easier but Im hoping to come semi prepared.

My first decision is rifle, both I've taken semi consistently to the 4" plate on a KYL target and the tikka I've played around at 1000yd on man size silhouette with. MK12 get interesting after about 600yds for me.
-tikka 6.5prc in stockys with 3-12lrhs and scythe ti (my hunting rifle) would definitely be good practice but expensive to feed as I haven't got the reloading press fired back up yet and has more recoil. Ammo is either factory 147eldm or 143eldx (it shoots both to same poa)
- Mk12 mod 0 with nxs 2.5-10 and OCM5. Don't shoot quite as well as the tikka but 1/4 the price and id like to see how the 77tmk does on antelope this year so more practice with it would be good as well. Ammo is probably going to be AAC 77gr OTM as I have a decent amount of it and its shoots 1-1.5"

Im assuming I need some kind of sling so planning to rig up a MS1 or vickers to get by
Have a leupold 1200yd range finder and either 10x slc or 12x razor hd binos
Harris clone bipod

I know whatever I do I'm in for an eye opening experience but trying to set myself up for even a small amount of success.

EDIT: heard a little more and the plan is out to 1500 with average being 600-900 so I believe that knocks out the mk12

parshal

WKR
You won't need a sling or a rangefinder. Most PRS-style matches are shooting at known ranges and all targets identified before you shoot. You'll just carry your rifle from stage to stage and set it down on the line with the bipod.

Use the lightest recoiling firearm you have.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
if it is a typical PRS match, most targets are inside 600 and the 6.5 PRC is more gun than you want. Besides mags can be limitations in 6.5 PRC.

It’s not really a “long range match” that you need a big gun. 6.5 PRC is great for hunting but not positional type matches.

12x binos on tripod
Get good dope
Good front bag
Good pack to carry ammo and stuff
Sling will be to carry your rifle, most don’t require use in the match.

1) Learn to find target, set rifle down pointed at the target, and then get behind rifle and see target in the scope. Use your scope on 8-10 power for field of view. Only crank up magnification for targets prone past 700.

New shooters lose most time trying to find targets.

2 Practice varied height positions with your rifle on your front bag. Figure out how to get your wobble to stay on the plate. Take the time you saved by finding the target to build the position.

Figure out whether you need to kneel or sit for a particular height. Use your body to tell you. If a barricade is at your belt, is it kneeling or sitting. If it is at the middle of your thigh, etc.

If you have to time shots you need to build a better position or add weight to your rifle, or both.

New shooters lose points by rushing through 10 shots in crappy positions. Build your position and get off 5-7 shots and you will get more points by the end of the match.

3) Practice breaking your trigger without disturbing your rifle in the alternative positions. Dry fire a lot at home while building positions.

4) Watch videos by Phillip Valeyo, you’ll get a sense for how to create the economy of motion and break the trigger during a match.

5) Be bold on your wind call. If you miss off the plate, make at least a whole plate correction if it was wind… you’ll have to be confident in 1-3 to know whether it is wind or not.

Learn what “the pro side of the plate is”

6) Have fun at the match, ask questions, borrow gear, make friends.

I am a middle of the road or worse match shooter, and I can tell you that the things listed are what I need to practice to improve.

Just thing will teach you a lot, and in the end it gave me confidence to make the shots in the field. Matches simulate hunting to a degree, but for me, my brain/body doesn’t do well in competitions, but it can focus razor sharp with the adrenaline of the hunt.

Good luck and have fun.