What part of Colorado has the most remote wilderness?

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
I have one preference point for Colorado. I want to do an archery high country mule deer hunt. wondering what part of Colorado would have some remote places to hunt above treeline?

hobbes

WKR
In addition to those above:
Holy Cross, Eagles Nest, Maroon Bells-Snowmass, West Elk, Hunter Frying Pan

Colorado is loaded with wilderness areas above treeline and plenty of additional acreage above treeline. I don't have a clue what the deer numbers are in all of them, spent some time in the first two I listed chasing elk when I probably should have been paying more attention to the mule deer. You won't have any problem locating acreage above treeline.

As far as the west elk wilderness goes. I didn't make it up above timberline but I did see a couple of nice bucks while elk hunting.

Mtnboy

WKR
Ok so I have about 7 different tabs open right now reading about Weminuche, I've been obsessed since I found this thread! Ha

Can that area be drawn with just 1 point?

I'm really hoping to do a few true "high country" Muley hunts over the next 5-6 years, I have 1 point in Wyoming right now, trying to formulate somewhat of a plan, seems like Colorado is another must do.

if you want to be alone, check into the Sange de Cristos. The Weminuche is like walking in KS compared to that place. Two friends of mine used to hunt it for mule deer when they were younger and the stories and bucks they killed were insane.

OR Archer

WKR
Ok so I have about 7 different tabs open right now reading about Weminuche, I've been obsessed since I found this thread! Ha

Can that area be drawn with just 1 point?

I'm really hoping to do a few true "high country" Muley hunts over the next 5-6 years, I have 1 point in Wyoming right now, trying to formulate somewhat of a plan, seems like Colorado is another must do.

Buddy and I drew it with no points 2 years ago. One point should get you the tag in 75/751.

bobhunts

WKR
When you say remote I have to ask..do you mean vast areas of land or difficulty in getting there? There are some areas that are designated wilderness that have less land area and less access and way steeper. All will provide hunting access and sometimes there are ones that are overlooked due to the size of the land mass. Good luck! Bob.

rhendrix

WKR
Glad I found this, I'm debating applying to 74 and 75/751. Is 74 hunted as hard as 75/751? I am leaning toward 74 at the moment, but I thought I'd ask those that have already been.

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
74 and 75 is hunted hard but has a few good bucks. Don't think for a minute you will go into either and see big bucks everywhere... The 08 winter still has the herds struggling to recover any age class. I think that goes for the entire West slope though. 74 has roads everywhere, 75 has more remote wilderness. 76 is a bad ass remote wilderness area but you'll need a few points to draw it... There's a couple slugs in there... A buddy had an elk tag in there last year and saw a couple in that B&C catagory -

I grew up and cut my teeth in the Maroon Bells. I have the chance to hunt/guide in a healthy portion of the wilderness areas in the state and the bells have been the most physically challenging of them all.