What model Hilleberg tent for 2 person 3+ season?

My GF and I are going to start backpacking together. We are mid 40s but she's pretty accomplished in Ice Climbing and I've been backcountry hunting a fair bit. This is simple backpacking, scouting, digiscoping. Probably just the "normal" 3 seasons, but could be anywhere from Washington to SD, WY and MT spring through fall. At our age...probably not ounce counting to the extreme. Prefer a bit more space over cutting 2oz. Pitch could be anywhere from alpine, beach or timber.

I have NO experience with Hilleberg. Simply asking for which model(s) to research.

I have been very happy with my nallo 2. If you have the coin, spring for the gt model.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Pitch could be anywhere from alpine, beach or timber.

1. Staika
2. Tarra
3. Nammajt 3 GT

This would be and is my choice in order of my favorites. My wife prefers the Tarra over the Staika but the Staika has a slight edge for me because of the freestanding foot print and setup.

ozyclint

WKR
Either the staika or the Allak. Both are the same design, the staika being made from heavier material and stronger poles. For 3 season use the allak is more than enough. The free standing pitch would be ideal for your uses.

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I own several quality tents and Hilleberg is by far the best. For 2 folks, the Nammajt 3GT is ideal for a tunnel tent. It is not free standing and has a large footprint. It’s a 4 season and has plenty of room for 2 and your gear can be stored in the vestibule. My weighs 8 pounds but I’m not an oz counter. The Nallo 3GT is lighter and will be good enough for 3 seasons (probably 4 seasons). If your looking at free standing, then what ozyclint said above ^^. I throughly research my equipment before purchasing and yes Hilleberg is expensive, but it’s your shelter in the backcountry. Sometimes there are excellent deals in the classified section on Rokslide. That is where I got my great deals. New Hilleberg doesn’t go on sale much. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just about to post almost the same question when I saw this thread! I’m really struggling (in terms of choosing) between the Nallo 3 GT (6lbs 13oz) and the Anjan 3 GT (4lbs 3oz) for a 2 person tent. I’m leaning towards the Anjan because it’s a pound and a half lighter. I’m not ounce counting but that’s a pretty big difference.

The Keron and Nammatj look awesome but they’re awful heavy for a backpacking tent, seems to me; and they don’t seem to offer a whole lot over the Nallo GT and the Anjan GT. I thought about dropping to a Nallo 2 GT but it’s only 7oz lighter and MUCH smaller. So, the Nallo 3 seems like a much better deal. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Nallo 3 has worked great for two + a dog. I’m glad I didn’t get the 3GT as there’s been a few times where I was able to pigeon hole my tent in a spot the 3GT would not fit. If you’ll mostly be in established back country camps the GT would be perfect but if you’ll be off trail I’d stick with the smaller footprint of the standard size.

Capra74

FNG
I've had similar questions. Specifically, how much difference is there between the yellow label and red label tents? I don't do a lot of late season stuff, but have been hit by big storms hunting the early season. Are the yellow label tents sturdy enough to handle the odd snowstorm or heavy winds? I'm heading to Azerbaijan in early May. It could be beautiful, but we're early enough that we could get hit with the last storm of the season. The plan is to spike out, so I'm going to be carrying it. Essentially, I want to keep weight down, but still have protection if the SHTF with the weather.

ozyclint

WKR
the black label has the heaviest strongest fabric and heavier poles. the red label uses lighter fabric and lighter poles and the yellow label uses lighter fabric than the red but the same poles.

also, the yellow label outer flys don't go right to ground level unlike the red and black labels.

i have a soulo and an allak and have used them above treeline in crap weather. the red label is bombproof! the black will see you through a north korea conflict. no experience with the yellow label.

Nallo 3 has worked great for two + a dog. I’m glad I didn’t get the 3GT as there’s been a few times where I was able to pigeon hole my tent in a spot the 3GT would not fit. If you’ll mostly be in established back country camps the GT would be perfect but if you’ll be off trail I’d stick with the smaller footprint of the standard size.

That’s a good point about the footprint and potential difficulty in finding suitable sites. I LOVE the idea of that GT vestibule but I’d hate to be struggling to find a suitable site. I’m thinking, now, about getting the Nallo 3 and adding a small tarp that I can use as an additional vestibule when I need it but that could go with me as a glassing shelter or emergency shelter. The weight would be a wash but there would be more versatility.

aklogan

FNG
Another one to look at is the Kaitum. It has two vestibules and the same overall footprint as a Great model or within 1 or 2 sqft. I bought a Kaitum 2 this fall and used it for 5 days and had zero issues. It is bigger then a nallo, has more vertical walls with out the slope in the toe area. There is a vent on both ends so the Kaitum will breath better then a nallo/anjan due to the vent locations on them.

I have heard a lot of people complain about the size of the GT trying to find a flat spot. Keep in mind the area in the vestibule does not need to be perfectly flat like the rest of the tent. Once you learn pitch around this it makes pitching the GT models a lot easier.

Last edited:

WKR
I have a Keron 3 on the way. Needed at least 7 feet of space inside due to my height and this one looked good. Can't wait to try it out.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Nallo2GT that I really like. If there isn't enough room for the whole vestibule you don't have to put it all the way out. You could pitch it like this.

Flickr

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I've used and had a number of Hilleberg's over the last 10 years or so. The Nallo's are really tough to beat on value unless you are tall. The Allak is a better fit for long bags in a reasonably light 4 season option, but the cost jumps up big time.

AXEL

WKR
I have now had four Hilles, from 2009, IIRC, and mine are a Saivo, THE tent for really foul weather and heavy, wet BC snowfalls overnight. I hope to be using it later this month or in February, in one of the highest snowfall areas in North America, where I was born and raised.

I also have a NIAK, love it for most solo uses, prefer it to the two Soulos, I had, but, it is not as stout.

For one tent, two people, all around, I would go with an Allak and were I younger, I would buy one no question.