What makes a good hunting DVD?

billy molls

Super Moderator
Hey Roksliders, How's 'bout helpin' a guy out?

What do you like to see, and not see, in a hunting DVD?

Ideas, like, dislikes, etc.

I would love hear your input. Most of the improvements I have made on my videos over the years have been ideas or suggestions by viewers.

thanks for any help,

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
Hey, tell you what!!! The best idea or suggestion from Rokslide or Firstlite's Campfire will get a free copy of my latest DVD, which is 4.5 hours long and has 9 hunts for Brown bear, grizzly, moose, Dall sheep, and caribou.

thanks again,
Billy

dotman

WKR
Billy, truthfully your videos capture what most of us are looking for. How about the few things to make sure you don't have in a video.

1) lack of appreciation for the animal
2) fake
3) personal drama (think dropped project ak)
4) lack of appreciation for the experience

Really in the end what I hate is scripted fake shocked reactions. I like how you capture your pains away from your family but also the true heart felt reaction of your clients. You have kept your videos real without any scripted fake drama. The true experience of the hunt and not just the kill is what makes a quality video.

No need to add me to the drawing for the video, I already have them :)

If anyone feels like they have been cheated by most videos, order up just one of Billys videos, you will order them all soon after you watch the first.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
For me personally having purchased lots of video's....what I am looking for is exactly what Pure Elevations 90$ video demonstrated. That is what I want to see.

1- little history on people
2- showing them working their way to get in shape for the season
3- target practice rounds
4- the drive, the pack in, the set up
5- the hunt (complete)
6- the break down, pack out, etc.

The whole thing just as it really is on any other hunt...from start to finish...

Something to throw in may be a little talk on why you choose X product (pack, bag, tent, boot, sock, clothes, etc)
maybe some overview on why you picked an area (special tag, friend knows the area and scouts it regular, going in blind only scouting from puter and topo??)

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reply's so far. I just now noticed a similar "fray" on the "Intention of Rokslide" thread, but I guess we'll strive on....

Love what I'm learning so far!! Thanks. I will mail the DVD on Jul 1st, or following business day, if there's any bean counters out there!! ha!

Billy

dotman

WKR
For me personally having purchased lots of video's....what I am looking for is exactly what Pure Elevations 90$ video demonstrated. That is what I want to see.

5- the hunt (complete)

The whole thing just as it really is on any other hunt...from start to finish...

Something to throw in may be a little talk on why you choose X product (pack, bag, tent, boot, sock, clothes, etc)
maybe some overview on why you picked an area (special tag, friend knows the area and scouts it regular, going in blind only scouting from puter and topo??)

You need to order one of Billys videos, if you like what Steve did you will like what Billy has been doing.

One thing that I can't stand is don't try and fool viewers into thinking the man behind the camera doesn't exist. Don't send the camera up to the expired animal and then have the Hunter come up and act like he has to ensure the animal is expired and its the first time.

Not much but thats my biggest pet peeve. I wish I had more $ to spend on DVDs! sounds like there are some good ones out there!

Mike

OP
B

billy molls

Super Moderator
No worries Hellscanyon. I don't do that, as I don't have a cameraman, and I hate that as well. Sometimes I go ahead of the hunter to get his initial reaction when he sees the animal, but you're right, I find that so phony.

5- the hunt (complete)

This is really nice. Personally I used to get down when I came back empty-handed. After surviving some really bad times, financially, my whole attitude changed. I look at things differently now. In fact I used to also have the attitude of 'killing it with a rifle and next time with a bow' but that was no different then coming back empty. Last year I was able to do my first bivy-style hunt and I did it with my recurve. Having a compound wouldn't have made a difference. It would have made a difference with a firearm. To be honest, I was ecstatic that I was able to afford to go. If it wasn't for my wife I still wouldn't be able to afford to go at least with new gear. It is nice to be able to pose with animals but just being there is where it is at for me. I have watched your videos on YouTube and they are first rate. I don't like the 23-minute condensed version on TV either and I like seeing the prep work, planning, traveling, camp cooking, water gathering, gear selection, etc. as stated above as well. I don't mind seeing a little drama if it is real, like someone's day not going well but not like the bs they put on TV to hype it up when most intelligent people can see it right off.

Gman

WKR

5- the hunt (complete)

This is a really good start. To me it's all about the narrative. Getting to know the hunters, their strenghts and weaknesses. One thing I find very endearing is when I hear a hunter who has a tougher than nails reputation whine about cold hands or sore feet. Makes them human! Also really good cinematography when woven into the story works for me. And then it has to be authentic - that's why Dropped: Project Alaska sucked.

Lastly I love to see when things go wrong. One of my favorite sayings/quotes is: It's not an adventure until things go wrong. And it's true. If everything goes to plan then it's just a "trip" in my mind. :) I guess that's because when I'm out there something always goes wrong. But again, seeing that not every hunt is post card perfect, the work that goes into the hunt, the prep,maybe even the wrangling and negotiating with the day job or spouse to make it all work out -- that's the great stuff that acts as a binder to the actual hunting footage.

I'll add that some history as to how they chose a particular hunt, hunting area, how they scouted it (either on the ground or via the internet), etc. Really showing the thought process on a particular area and approach....

Last edited:

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
There has been a lot of good things already mentioned so I'll just add my two pet peeves. 1. Never ending monologuing about what just happened just to fill air time. I saw what happened, ok? 2. Placing the camera in front of the hunter, especially when tracking/locating the downed game. These things will quickly ruin what may otherwise be a decent piece of footage for me.

For me different videos have their place. The really great ones are more than just shooting some video of someones hunting trip and them killing an animal. Some are to inform or teach and I enjoy watching them. I enjoy most seeing a film that shares the memories or moments of the adventures in order to show others the beauty, excitement, and culture that all make up the journey. I tend to marvel more towards the ones that incorporate a bit of it all, photography, videography, astrophotography, time lapse, music, editing effects, sound, color edits. There are way to many hunting shows on TV, real or recreated that to me are pretty boring to watch. I like the films that can captivate me and pull me in to their experience. I want to feel the emotion, energy and excitement of the experience just like the multi million dollar films try to achieve.

tstowater

WKR
I can't say that I am an expert, but my wife believes our house is overrun with hunting videos. I have a mountain of Magnum Hunt Club, Bart Lancaster, Jim Shockey, Jack Brittingham, Randy Anderson and lots more assorted others. Most of these have been acquired as I was interested in a particular species or state/country/province to hunt. In addition to viewing for entertainment purposes, most of the purchased videos were acquired with some expectation of being a learning tool.

When I refer to something as being a learning tool, that usually means that I am interested in or going to hunt a new species. For example, I am going to hunt Dall sheep in Alaska this year. I have not hunted Dall sheep before. I was interested in learning more about hunting Dall sheep and getting a feel of what to expect. I was in the video section of a Cabela's store and noticed that they had a Dall sheep hunting video (Rams in the Mist by DSP) that I decided to try. I have watched it 2 or 3 times and found it useful. I have looked at your videos on Rokslide and just have not pulled the trigger yet. I have to pace bringing new videos in the house as my wife is observant enough to notice something new. She is very tolerant of my afliction, but does have a limit.

What trips my trigger:
1. Multiple hunts of the same species that I am going to hunt in the general same location as I am going.
2. Real action, not restaged.
3. Separate the hunts from the background/prep. For example, training, equipment needs, preparation can be separate from the actual hunts that I can choose to watch at a different time or multiple times if desired.
4. Show some misses/screwups/failed attempts and explain what happened. When my son was young, he thought hunting was easy as he thought everyone killed (you will notice that I do not try to sanitize what happens by using the word "harvest") what they went after because the videos or shows all showed the successes. Some of the best hunts I have been on did on end with dead animals.
5. Explain what you did to make a hunt a success. I have Rick French's dall sheep video and I think he does a pretty good job of this. If the hunt is particularly difficult, physically or otherwise, let the people know.

These don't trip my trigger:
1. Laughter, particularly nervous laughter (ex. Ralph and Vickie) shows a lack of respect for the animal. Exception: a good prairie dog hit.
2. Women hunters for the sole purpose of attracting an audience. Example: Tiffany Lakosky. I think Lee could be a really good hunter, but....
There are some great women hunters and the "sell out" for commercial purposes of make up and pretty faces by others irritates me. Enough said.
3. Don't sell out to the sponsors. What you wear and what you use on a hunt is a tool to make you successful. Don't use or wear something just because the company is sponsoring you or you are a prostaffer. Makes me wonder why the product is being used: is it the best or the company that will pay the most. Example: Jim Shockey used to use one brand of muzzleloader and now uses a different one--higher bidder??

Don't know if this helps, but gives you an idea of what I am looking for.

cmeier117

WKR
First off that was a great trailer on Youtube. I like a real hunt, not one that is fake and shot so well that it is scripted. I think it is nice when a video is put together really nice but I don't mind a raw uncut type video. Don't make is a commercial for certain companies. Although if you have a piece of gear you used and really honestly liked I don't mind that. I am a gear nut and like to see what people are using. But don't put a certain brand hat on for the grip and grin photos. I like hearing a little about the back ground of the hunter and the hunt and having details of the hunt.

Your trailer looked awesome, so just more of that!!

G Posik

WKR
Since You tube is blocked here a work will have to wait till I get home to watch the video. But the things I really do not like and do not watch many hunting shows or videos is simple..... do not fake anything. An example is a well know tv hunting guy shoots and elk, poor shot. turns to the camera and says "Man that was a great shot" Next thing he is posing with this monster elk and has 2 arrows left in the quiver. Started out with 5 in the quiver, they did a great job cleaning up the other two spots where the other shots were. Just come out and say "Man that shot sucked, guess will be tracking this sucker". i know there are the Anti's out there but come on man keep it real. like said a few times already leave the script at home.

Glenn

BuckSnort

WKR
I would like to see more Turkey, whitetail and exotic Texas fallow/axis deer hunts... Kidding of course..

To be honest I used to like hunting shows and videos but the Outdoor Channel has turned me off of them... I can't stand fake scripts and kill shot reenactments ..
I understand that sometimes the situation wasn't perfect for recording but keep it real, don't reenact the scene... Also agree with franklins post (#11)
about showing more of the camp chores, hikes into area, ect...

Just watched your trailer and I like it... If that trailer portrays how your hunt videos are then I think your doing it right (stuff I like to see anyway)

hodgeman

WKR
Haven't seen any of your videos and only a few others but a few things I hate...

1. Slow motion kill shots.
2. Fake emotions/drama.
3. "Hamming" it up for the camera.
4. A hunt that ends with the animal on the ground...that's only half of a hunt.
5. A lot of chatter about what an animal "scores". I don't care if it's a B&C whitetail...if you shoot it in a feedlot it's still tacky.

Stuff I like....
1. Cooking fresh game meat in the field (a'la Steven Rinella)
2. Information about the hunt area and the animal pursued and the strategies for bagging the particular animal.
3. Instruction/ Information about field dressing and meat care.
4. Seeing animals sometimes skunk the hunter....not every hunt results in a kill.

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Your videos are great Billy. I say videos but I have only seen one and that's your newest I bought a couple of months ago. It's hard to suggest much more than what you already doing as far as filming. I like the interactions with the hunters and pilots. Your personality really makes it seem like your there to have an adventure and help the hunter fill their tag.

Everybody is intrigued with Alaska now a days. It's the ultimate adventure destination so you are in the best spot in the world for filming hunting adventures.

I think it would be nice to see what all is involved in planning for the average hunter. What type of gear is needed for sheep, caribou, moose, brown bears and so forth.

Your thought process while you're there, your mindset. What's it like being alone in the middle of nowhere waiting for days for the weather to break to bring in a hunter? What types of dangers or injuries do you have to be prepared for whether it be a grizzly in camp, plane malfunctions or a hunter falling and breaking a leg, what's protocol for an injured hunter?

What you look for in a basin to glass for Dall sheep? Do you want to be high or low? Facing a certain direction?

What type of area do you look for big bears and moose in? What is there home range? Food sources and so forth?

Overall your videos have tons of great footage, scenery and animals.

It does miss a bit of cinematic quality. The cuts between scenes can be a bit rough and the transitions could be more aesthetic and smooth. Careful with the zooming in and out and panning shots. Are you using a professional service to edit your footage or are you doing it yourself?

Music can make a huge difference in video. Just watch Looney Tunes on mute sometime, it's just not the same. Dramatic music in the right spots help the viewers adrenaline flow.

What type of mic are you using on your camera? Sometimes your voice sounds far away. It's easy to tell you are behind the camera. Maybe look into non directional type mics (omni directional), but they can have their own challenges as well.

I am no pro, just a hobbyist and my equipment doesn't allow me to make much more than a high quality home movie of the family, in other words, my suggestions are worth what you paid for them.

If you don't make a single change, I would still buy your next video. I do enjoy broadcast quality projects though.