What makes a buck get extras, cheaters, in lines, etc.

I saw a giant 3 point this year obviously a mature buck. Will he ever get cheaters? Is it all genetics or will great nutrition help them pop out? Any studies or anecdotal evidence out there?

I saw a giant 3 point this year obviously a mature buck. Will he ever get cheaters? Is it all genetics or will great nutrition help them pop out? Any studies or anecdotal evidence out there?
I believe a mix of genetics, age and nutrition simply for the development of the extras.

I can’t remember where I heard this but I believe the number of B&C non-typical’s hasn’t taken quite the hit that typical’s have because they’ve always been rare and require very mature bucks.

But genetics are definitely the biggest factor- some counties skew heavily towards non-typical’s while others pump out typicals.

Anecdotally, I’ve always heard or seen those desert bucks get weird- while the lush high country seems to crank out typicals.

Interestingly, through pictures from multiple generations I’ve seen areas where the same exact inline genetics have been passed from buck to buck.

I’d say the 3x3 will maybe develop some nasty bases or a small kicker with age- but it seems like a non-typical is mostly dictated by strong genetics.

On our whitetails we had very few kickers, stickers or droptines until we started giving them a lot of protein and time to get to 5-6 years, then we starting seeing quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Genetics I think.
Area we hunt for deer has the propensity to get kicker points and crown points on the tops at older ages.
Forks get smaller but extras points start to appear about 6 1/ it seems.

On our whitetails we had very few kickers, stickers or droptines until we started giving them a lot of protein and time to get to 5-6 years, then we starting seeing quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hmmmm, very interesting. After listening to Robbie's podcast with Randy Larson I do think nutrition could make them pop out.

Back