What load out crates/boxes do you use for camping/hunting?

2-Stix

WKR
Hi Folks,
I need to upgrade the cheep boxes and crates I have used for years. My cousin (my hunting partner) uses Action Packers...what do you all use? I don't mind investing for the next 20 years in good quality...but hopefully it doesn't weigh a ton like a Yeti cooler.

Thanks

Zdub02

WKR
I use a combo of sterilite totes and milk crates. I don't need anything fancier and it works well for me.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I get the aluminum chests at the local surplus store. I think they run around $40. Here is the one I have. I also have 1 Hardigg, but it is heavy and doesn't get as much use.

This thing goes with us literally everywhere, no matter what kind of trip or conditions. They could charge 10 times as much and I'd buy another if I needed it. Reliably waterproof proven many times over. I have a second one I got specifically for power tools, we're always going back and forth in the boat across the bay to camp. It fits nicely under my bed cover in the truck bed and not overly bulky like the larger ones.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Have used the Plano sportsman boxes for years and they work but not dust or water proof at all.

A buddy has the Hardigg and they are bombproof, literally.

I started using the Yeti go boxes a few years ago and love them but they were not big/long enough for all my gear.
I would keep clothing and smaller items in them and longer gear in a Plano. Yeti just released the longer Go box so out go the Planos. Pretty pumped for it actually. Not cheap but they keep the gear dust free.
I can collect a lot of dust over 3 months of living out of the truck.

I use the MTM ammo crates acr7-18 for various smaller items. For clothes and larger items the black tote with yellow lid from Sam's club.
I have all my family camping items in Sterilite clear totes with clamp down lids (probably my favorite out of all of them)
I've used the Plano rolling totes as well but they did seal the greatest.

The plant I work at keeps all shelter in place kits in the action packers. Some have sat outside for years and look pretty weathered but still keep things dry and clean.

I have used a bunch of boxes, the home depot husky professional grade boxes are my current favorite. 3 sizes, they all stack. Waterproof gasket, lids hinge either direction. 30$ each. I can see what i need through the clear lid, and they are stout enough to sit on

MCS

Lil-Rokslider
I started useing portable tool chests they are water proof.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_070856_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_070856_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 20
I have one Yeti Load out box I won at a raffle. That thing works great for most my small gear and ammo I am using on my hunt. Holds pretty much everything from bino harness to gloves to a gun cleaning kit. Place for paper targets, spare licenses, batteries and power packs, hearing protection and my drink koozies. It rides in the back seat of my truck on the drivers side for easy access.

Bigger stuff I use two sizes of stackable Brute tubs. I got tired of cheap tubs that busted so I invested in the brute tubs. I find the 10 gallon tubs are more handy than the bigger tubs.

Smaller tubs house my game processing stuff I use at camp. One is a dry goods box for lunch or cooking supplies.

Bigger tubs have things like ATV accessories , bungie cords and rope. I keep a bin for muddy boots or wet packs. Usually that wet bin I use without the lid. Just keeps the mud and water off everything else.

I keep coats, vests , gloves, hats in a medium sized duffle. That stuff stays in the back seat of my truck and I found it rides better and is easier to use than a bin. I find one that is easy to access best so Im not digging thru it. I use one of those small packing cubes for gloves and mittens.

I am sometimes away from home going from place to place for a week to three weeks at a time. Sometimes in much different hunts and weather conditions. I haul a lot of gear and find it better to be and stay very organized.