What lighter arrow for hunting?

SDHNTR

WKR
Then don't but at the same time if you unwilling to try things or try them again then your "exp" is very limited and you should let people that actually test things against there belief do the commenting.
Haha, solid attempt at comedy. There's nothing I'm unwilling to try with archery/hunting/shooting, and little I haven't tried, including lighter arrows. I've killed well into the triple digits animals with a bow and well into double digits with different species. Lighter = louder, and I don't ever want louder. Animals react to sound faster than any bow can fling an arrow.

SDHNTR

WKR
That's ke....more ke = harder to stop, it's literally a calculation based of speed and weight, how do you figure out momentum??
Not exactly. Momentum is what is harder to stop. KE is a measurement of energy AT impact. Hit something dense, like bone, and on a light and fast, but high KE arrow, most of that energy on paper immediately dissipates. Now pack some momentum in there and that energy is retained AFTER impact, and that's what matters with archery. Yes Momentum can be calculated. I probably shouldn't even bother because keyboard cowboys just like to argue, but here goes anyway.

KE = Mass x Velocity(squared) / 450,240

Momentum = Mass x Velocity

So what's the difference? Because velocity is squared in the KE calculation, KE is easily generated with greater speed, even in the absence of weight. But again, that's just a number on paper. What matters is retained KE after impact. All the KE in the world means nothing if it is easily dissipated. Momentum is what prevents that dissipation.

So if we kept KE equal, but arrow #1 generated it by speed and lighter weight, and the arrow #2 generated it by greater weight and less speed, arrow #2 wins the penetration battle every time.

As mentioned earlier, of course there is a sweet spot and a point of diminishing returns. And yes, I have tested this at length. That sweet spot out of modern compound bow is generally somewhere around 450-500 grains. The 450-475 I mentioned earlier was not arbitrary.

I switched to Easton Sonics this year and have been really happy so far. Im shooting 300 spine 28 1/2 inches is around 428 grains. They seem plenty durable as I’ve missed the target a few times and they’re just fine.

Kevin