What keeps you from hunting OTC California?

What Keeps you from hunting OTC in California?

• Total voters

amassi

WKR
People don’t know what they don’t know.
We probably have the best bear hunting in the lower 48. No you can’t chase them with hounds or bait but for being able to glass up multiple color phase bears and hunt them you’d be hard pressed to find more opportunity. For most of the bear habitat you could also have a deer tag in your pocket should you run across one you wanted to shoot. I’ve killed deer in 20 states and these don’t taste any better or worse.

OP
Trapline

Trapline

FNG
A zone which consists of about 1/2 the entire state has a 30% success rate out of 28,000 hunters last year OTC. All Arizona draw hunts averaged 35% for comparison and hunters waiting years building points for units with lower success all over the west. Archery Only OTC tags give you almost the entire state aside from the X zones. Bear also as mentioned above, i have to be missing something.

Fowl Play

WKR
To each their own I guess. I lived in California for 6 years for work. And had some pretty amazing hunts. I bought a lifetime hunting license before I left just so I could continue to hunt areas I had put work in to find with good hunting buddies. Is it the best hunting in the west... no. But I still travel for it...

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR
A zone which consists of about 1/2 the entire state has a 30% success rate out of 28,000 hunters last year OTC. All Arizona draw hunts averaged 35% for comparison and hunters waiting years building points for units with lower success all over the west. Archery Only OTC tags give you almost the entire state aside from the X zones. Bear also as mentioned above, i have to be missing something.

30% success has a lot to do with private property and 2 tags for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OTC zones in Northern California are a good option if you want to be hunting every year - but the OTC zones are also a brutal hunt in forested, manzanita-dense, mostly mountainous country. It's extremely rugged, extremely hot beyond a narrow coastal belt (think 105F in August and September), and these are blacktail, so far less juice for the squeeze. There are very straightforward, very challenging reasons that the success rates are so low in those zones. It would only be worth it to me if I lived in or within a couple of hours of where I wanted to hunt in one of those zones. But I'd also say that if you can get consistent in taking Blacktail, you'll be far better at hunting Muleys otherwise. Especially compared to someone who only gets drawn once every 3-5 years.

Bottom line: definitely worth it if you're reasonably local, or really want to hone your game, but the diminishing returns are pretty steep.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
It's tough hunting here for many reasons. Rugged terrain, hot, dry climate, and a strong anti hunting vibe all contribute. With that said, I've had some wonderful quail hunting, occasional ok duck hunting, great dove hunts, and some interesting OTC desert mule deer hunts in the southern game management units. I live here so right now it's a convenient choice for me.

I wouldn't travel here to hunt though. And I SURE wouldn't buy a NR big game tag. Mediocre game management practices and the poor attitude by CA DNR towards hunters doesn't warrant it.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Hey @Crowmangler and @NorCalBowHuntr916, you're right! I forgot about that - having to use those funny bullets and wearing the rainbow safety vests. Game can see you coming from a mile away and even if you do get a shot those funny non-toxic bullets bounce right off. They ARE non-toxic after all.