What is this?

JEck

WKR
Found these swimming in a puddle in the middle of a cornfield in central ks along the Arkansas river, any ideas what they are? Puddle was full of them swimming around

Attachments

• IMG_4347.jpeg
    IMG_4347.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4348.jpeg
    IMG_4348.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 245

BTLowry

FNG
First thought was brine shrimp or crawfish but no images that look like those for either

OP
JEck

JEck

WKR
That was my first thought as well…but google didn’t match up.

OP
JEck

JEck

WKR

Just found this online

TaperPin

WKR
So - Lake Monkeys? Pond Monkeys?

In many high lakes, people have stocked fresh water shrimp and the trout look very pink inside. The Wind Rivers have a number of high lakes planted with fish and shrimp by an outfitter during the Great Depression. Polluting lakes with non native creatures may not be the current standard, but dang gum the fishing is really really really good. :)

So - Lake Monkeys? Pond Monkeys?

In many high lakes, people have stocked fresh water shrimp and the trout look very pink inside. The Wind Rivers have a number of high lakes planted with fish and shrimp by an outfitter in the Great Depression. Polluting lakes with non native creatures may not be the current standard, but dang gum the fishing is really really really good. :)
I've heard this about Devil's Lake in ND and other ND lakes with shrimp forage base.

OP
JEck

JEck

WKR
Didn’t know we had anything like that around, learn something new every day I guess

I've heard this about Devil's Lake in ND and other ND lakes with shrimp forage base.
that is a very different animal altogether, called a scud, that is in the dakota pothole lakes and Devils lake. it is more a crustacean. Trout fisherman can tell you all about scuds, or side-swimmers they are sometimes called.

Fairy shrimp are very seasonal, and slow, and don't stand much of a chance to fish. they are not very common in bodies of water that have any predator base

scuds are 3/8" to 1/2" long and brown, fairy shrimp are 3/4'-1 1/2" long and milky, clear or pink and often translucent.

scuds can also be dormant in the mud, but I don't think they cyst up lke fairy shrimp or brine shrimp. scuds are grazer, and if you ever get a chance to fish in ND from shore, you can see them crawling and swimming on the bottom as they feed, and the walleyes we catch are gorged with them.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm going with the shrimp. I never saw a leach with eyes like that. I pulled a lot off me .