What is this?

Found several of these in about a half acre area in northern New Mexico at about 9,600’. There was sign of fire in the area so I’m guessing it’s related to that. Note: no fires were marked on the map fire layers.

If remeber correctly, they felt kind of moist.
IMG_5195.jpegIMG_5194.jpeg

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Roots can burn / smolder underground for quite a ways and for quite some time.
I've seen a good 20 feet in ten days or so.

Probably a lightning strike that had enough rain around so it didn't spread.

Or Bigfoot bed.

Stalker69

WKR
Quick sand, as I see a walking stick laying across the one. Poor fella, he found out the hard way what they are.

Pdzoller

WKR
While cutting trees after the fires of 2020 in Oregon I fell in a burning hole up to my chest. It was from old growth roots that were still smoldering in December. It was like falling into an oven on broil. There wasn’t barely any signs of it on the top soil.

OP
G
While cutting trees after the fires of 2020 in Oregon I fell in a burning hole up to my chest. It was from old growth roots that were still smoldering in December. It was like falling into an oven on broil. There wasn’t barely any signs of it on the top soil.
New fear unlocked

Found several of these in about a half acre area in northern New Mexico at about 9,600’. There was sign of fire in the area so I’m guessing it’s related to that. Note: no fires were marked on the map fire layers.

If remeber correctly, they felt kind of moist.
View attachment 618119View attachment 618117
Stumps that burned completely from top to bottom. They are particularly nasty to the guys fighting fires.