What is the best ammo for a .17 HMR?

At this point any thing you can get.

I had the opposite experience as above. Mine didn't like cci, but shot the federal ballistic tips really well. I loaded up on them fortunately years ago.

slvrslngr

WKR
I like the Hornady 17gr VMax, it's shot well in all the rifles I've put it through. On small game like ground squirrels, it's pretty hard to beat.

B23

WKR
Regardless of what the label says the vast majority of all 17 HMR ammo is made by CCI. Winchester makes some too but not nearly as much as CCI does.

I've always had pretty decent luck with the Hornady labeled CCI 17gr Vmax stuff in my 17 HMR's but there can be a good amount of variance in all of it from Lot to Lot so keep track of the Lot #'s and if you buy some at a local store that seems to shoot well in your gun go back to that store and buy all of that Lot # you can.

We shoot a lot of sage rats so I buy this stuff by the case. Whenever I switch to a case with a different Lot # I'll shoot a few on paper to verify POI. You'd be surprised how much some of this stuff can vary POI when changing Lot #'s.

Like others said, whatever you can find and whichever your rifle likes the most.

I tried several when I first got my Tikka T1X. It liked the Hornady 20 gr HP XTP Varmint Express the most.

Rob5589

WKR
Hornady VMax 17 grain

Read years ago on Rimfire Central it's all made by CCI with just different color tips depending on the manufacturer selling it.

ttubudd

FNG
Just ordered 500 rounds of Hornady 17 VMAX from Midsouth Shooters. Should come in tomorrow. They didn't seem to have any caps on quantity if anyone is looking for ammo.

Lawnboi

WKR
All of it’s made so cheaply that two lots of the same stuff shoot very differently.
At this point I’d buy whatever you can. Last fall I bought a brick of 500 hornady for 110 bucks. Now I can’t find the stuff for less than 18 a box.