What is lighter than para cord?

Derek0525

WKR
I have para cord on my Megatarp now is there anything lighter to use that will work with guy line tighteners? Was kinda looking around on Zpacks website but not sure what to go with I don't even know the weight of para cord either though.

Browtine

WKR
I use 1.25mm (maybe 1.5mm, can't remember for sure) spectra cord with a tautline hitch, no line tighteners. I don't know the weight, but lighter than PC.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
that 2mm Dacron is less than half the weight of paracord if my figures are right.

Dacron 2mm cord is .0264 ounces. (1.32 ounces per 50 ft hank.)

Paracord 3.525 ounces per 50'

I use stuff called zing-it on my tarp. I think it is dyneema, or something like that. It feeds through line locs real well, keeping everything taut. I went with glow in the dark line locs so I don't trip on them stumbling back in the dark.

weaver

WKR
You can also remove the inner threads of paracord. That's what I do if I don't need it for anything heavy

lintond

WKR
I use dynema cord. Super lightweight and strong. The only downside would be the size for gripping it, but that's being pretty critical.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use dynema cord. Super lightweight and strong. The only downside would be the size for gripping it, but that's being pretty critical.

I second Dyneema. The trade off of diameter(harder to work with) vs weight is worth it to me.

I have used speargun line purchased off Amazon. It comes in different pound test strengths, colors and composition. I cannot remember which I bought but I know Kevlar and Dyneema are available. It is very light and strong but the thin diameter makes it a little challenging to work with unless you have good eyes and manual dexterity and knot tying skills. I use it where it will work but not entirely in place of para cord in my kit.