What does 75 days of healthy backpacking food look like? And cost? And weigh?

IBen

WKR
I should be nearly finished by the end if the day with my food preparations for a 75ish day season. Total should be around 270,000 calories in these boxes with cheese, tortillas, bagels, perfect bars being added in later for about a 4000 calories a day. Costs right now are 1742 dollars.

I’ll break down cost/calorie and total weight when I’m done today. IMG_3538.jpeg

OP
IBen

IBen

WKR
Not enough LMNT
I really don’t think electrolytes are necessary for the AK hunting season but damn they do taste good which is why i buy them. Plus i think salt can help the digestive system

OP
IBen

IBen

WKR
The two metrics a look for in choose backpacking food are 1. Low fiber ( 2g per serving max) 2. No soybean or canola oils
if any of these foods give me gas they get ditched next year

OP
IBen

IBen

WKR
Total cost 1742.00 for 203,000 calories. (2700 cal/day) This doesn't count cheese, ramen and tortilla wraps dinners (plus any extra stuff I throw in last minute) With those I’ll be in the 3500 calorie range. It’ll end up being around 135 lbs at 1.8 pounds per day
IMG_3541.jpegIMG_3540.jpeg

JohnB

WKR
Man if I was putting those kind of days in I would think pretty hard about buying a freeze dryer. Congrats on what sounds like an awesome season!

OP
IBen

IBen

WKR
Man if I was putting those kind of days in I would think pretty hard about buying a freeze dryer. Congrats on what sounds like an awesome season!
I had some clients leave me freeze dried eggs from someone that had a freeze dryer and they were really good just to get that much protein is such an easy little package would make a freeze dryer worth it. But as far as meals go, they’re gonna have to be better than the ones that are currently on the market haha

JohnB

WKR
I had some clients leave me freeze dried eggs from someone that had a freeze dryer and they were really good just to get that much protein is such an easy little package would make a freeze dryer worth it. But as far as meals go, they’re gonna have to be better than the ones that are currently on the market haha
Some friends co-own one with their parents. Once my buddy's kids are a bit older I'm real excited to see if I can get some time on it. Mountain House and Peak Refuel taste just fine to me but after a few days they start tearing me up.

What are your go to types of dinners?

OP
IBen

IBen

WKR
Some friends co-own one with their parents. Once my buddy's kids are a bit older I'm real excited to see if I can get some time on it. Mountain House and Peak Refuel taste just fine to me but after a few days they start tearing me up.

What are your go to types of dinners?
Momofuku ramen with siriracha packet and jerky (soemtimes beef tallow)
Coucous with butter and cheese
Salami or tuna, cheese, tortilla