What do you want in a floorless tent?

I’m stoked to be testing out the new Argali Absaroka 4P tent this spring bear season with a review to follow on here. @Brad@Argali sent along the shelter and the carbon center pole.

I’ve used a Kifaru Sawtooth, Seek Outside Eolus, and a Jimmy Tarp in the past so have some time in tarps to compare.

That said, I wanna make sure to cover all the bases so lend me your input here!

What are frustrations you’ve had or otherwise features of this tent you’d like to know about from the upcoming review?

Looking forward to your thoughts guys!

My floorless tent is a completely different model but this experience probably still applies. I have a fairly old school Black Diamond Megamid.

1- If there are a lot of flying biting insects I’d want to have a way to keep them out or off of me while sleeping. A friend & I used it on a mountain goat hunt in AK. I was using a bivy sack with mosquito netting, he wasn’t. The mosquitos were crazy thick and had no trouble finding their way in. I did fine but my friend looked like Quasimodo from all of the bites on his face.

2- I just figured out a simple way to modify my trekking poles. I can pull the bottom section out of one and socket the other pole tip down into the back of it. It’s more than tall enough to act as my center pole. It’s also solid. I just had to do a little drilling and cutting with a hacksaw. There is no damage to the poles and you can’t even tell they were modified until you take one apart. Saves the weight of carrying a dedicated pole.

OP
Jaden Bales
My floorless tent is a completely different model but this experience probably still applies. I have a fairly old school Black Diamond Megamid.

1- If there are a lot of flying biting insects I’d want to have a way to keep them out or off of me while sleeping. A friend & I used it on a mountain goat hunt in AK. I was using a bivy sack with mosquito netting, he wasn’t. The mosquitos were crazy thick and had no trouble finding their way in. I did fine but my friend looked like Quasimodo from all of the bites on his face.

2- I just figured out a simple way to modify my trekking poles. I can pull the bottom section out of one and socket the other pole tip down into the back of it. It’s more than tall enough to act as my center pole. It’s also solid. I just had to do a little drilling and cutting with a hacksaw. There is no damage to the poles and you can’t even tell they were modified until you take one apart. Saves the weight of carrying a dedicated pole.
Good stuff! I know there’s a liner to it, so might get to add that later in the season.

Good tip regarding the trekking poles. I’ll see if I can’t do the same and see how it compares.

Seeknelk

WKR
Sod apron or whatever it's called. So it can be sealed and weighted down especially in gnarly wind.
Guy out loops about halfway up for same reason and to help make a little headspace, especially when there are tree limbs , etc to tie to and it really opens up the feel. Helps control the morning sag from moisture also.

I think more guy out loops and higher up would be nice in some shelters. Not only does it help with interior space, but when the wind starts to whip the more the merrier. I'd rather pack more weight in stakes and cord than be worried about my tipi's integrity at 2AM when it's blowing 30+

Maybe the height on them has a downside I'm not aware of, but they seem to be unnecessarily low on some tipis.

Moserkr

WKR
Sorry for the long post, but I answered your question in full and want to hear your thoughts before I get one. Listened to the rokcast last night with brad too. Good stuff. I have 2 tipi’s - large tigoat 7.5 vertex (6 man), and a small SO BT2 solo tipi. Few things I definitely like and have learned. That said Ive got my eye on the 2p rincon tipi to replace my BT2.

Both my tipis are true tipis, so setup is rarely a perfect pitch. I think id prefer more of a pyramid style for ease of use. Id like to know how easy the setup was for you.

Guy-out points are crucial for weather. SO BT2 has enough, tigoat does not. But both have survived severe weather. Set yours up in high wind and see how the tipi handles it. Id imagine it will do well.

One door saves weight, 2 is more convenient if you have more than 1 person. My tipis are backwards, large has 1 door, small has 2…. Would 2 doors be better than 1? 2 would put the door at your side instead of your feet.

Stove placement is also key. So the BT2 has one next to one entrance, so it works solo only cause im not too tall. Sleeping along the shorter zipper side allows easier access with the zipper at my waist when lying down, to get in and out since i cant stand in it. Sleeping along the long side makes me enter at the foot or head of my bed and crawl in - no bueno. The argali has this design where you enter in at the foot of your bed too, not a deal breaker, ive found it just less convenient. How easy is it to get in n out, especially if you cant stand?

The big tipi has 1 zipper opposite the stove jack, classic. Works really well for 2 people, its a palace. I wouldnt mind 2 slightly short zippers though, offset from center on each side. This option would create a spot for a third person to sleep opposite the stove, in the current doorway. Right now the third wheel gets stepped on/over if we ever have one which is rare for this reason. Not a deal breaker either, Im not the third wheel. This is an idea for a 6p tent if argali goes down that road.

Sod skirt - yes please. SO has em, tigoat dont. Just an inch or two is all it needs. Dirt baths from wind, snow drifting in, and bugs all can be mitigated. Not seeing it on the argali. Deal breaker, no, just a nice feature worth an ounce of fabric and a few extra bucks.

For smaller tipis, this trekking pole extension is well worth it. http://rutalocura.com/?page_id=5934/ I went with the 12” one at 1 oz for the BT2. Big tipi has a dedicated carbon pole.

What has me eyeing the argali over my seek outside? Less weight (12oz!!) and what looks like more space, waterproof fabric with no sag?!, and an attractive price. Trigger finger is itchy but Im waiting til the second or third batch. Like new model vehicles - want to see bugs worked out first. Maybe buy it on sale or used cause Im cheap lol and hate paying full retail even though the price is absolutely reasonable.

When you look at a tipi though, its really just a glorified tarp…

Real Stakes included, durable ones that don't break rite off.

Trekking pole length guide printed on the side like the Mt Shelter Lt

Durable and large pole catcher spot so you can sub a wood pole for the Trekking pole.

Dual side entry, I absolutely will not use a tube shelter again.

For crimney sakes list the real damn weight as it will be used with all guy lines, stuff sack, stakes etc. All I'm gonna be is disappointed in you as a company if I open it and realize its not as advertised because I'm adding guy outs.

Include the dang extra guy outs. Goes along the same as including the weight, ohh now I have to place a 2nd order and weight for more guy out material to get here. Hope I have time for that before my trip.

OP
Jaden Bales
These are all such good comments guys! I really appreciate y'all taking the time here. Keep adding thoughts but I'm writing all this down. We'll see if I can't get trips in with the liner and without to provide the contrasts.

Not to thread Jack but would you mind posting pics of this?

Sod apron or whatever it's called. So it can be sealed and weighted down especially in gnarly wind.
Guy out loops about halfway up for same reason and to help make a little headspace, especially when there are tree limbs , etc to tie to and it really opens up the feel. Helps control the morning sag from moisture also.
Both of these are my dislikes of the ShangriLa that I have.

Steep walls mean that I'm always touching them and their condensation. If I have the stove or another person, I'm pushed to the side.

The lack of sod skirt is annoying when you don't need or want the ventilation due to high wind and blowing snow or dust.

That would be great thank you 🙏🏼
These are older Black Diamond poles that had avalanche probe bottoms. The idea was to remove the bottoms and screw them together for one long probe. I’ve converted them into something that can be put together into one long adjustable pole for my Black Diamond Megamid tent. I just drilled the threads out of the bottom that was female threaded and tweaked the hole diameter so it’s a perfect fit for the point of the other pole. I also cut off the male threaded end on the other pole to save weight as it’s now useless anyway. The length is adjustable using the flick lock cam. Bonus is that it has two handy places to hang things built in. The wrist strap can hold a headlamp to light the tent and I can hang stuff from the upper basket. In the 3rd picture the pole is loosely assembled next to the original center pole that the tent came with. I’m sure something similar could be done with most trekking poles with a little creativity.

Attachments

• 49FBCC17-F3FA-403D-BDE3-8D08D66AC5F3.jpeg
    49FBCC17-F3FA-403D-BDE3-8D08D66AC5F3.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 76
  • E88AF5AE-BA58-433D-8536-8A08F9BE4A93.jpeg
    E88AF5AE-BA58-433D-8536-8A08F9BE4A93.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 17EC9DC4-8001-434A-A960-5C4896641379.jpeg
    17EC9DC4-8001-434A-A960-5C4896641379.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited: