What do you expect next year in the CO archery OTC units?

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have been bow hunting in a OTC unit in NW CO for the last ten years as a NR. Next year they are doing away with NR OTC tags and going to draw. I have no points as I always hunt at the same place and had no reason to build up points. What do ya'll expect next year when it goes to draw? Do you think most everyone will get drawn the first year in these former OTC units? I realize the state claims they want to lower the number of NR hunters during archery season but I also know they must realize the amount of revenue it generates each year. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out with the elimination of the NR OTC archery tags.

Gerbdog

WKR
Hard to say, i expect things to continue looking the same, so they will likely release with a huge tag limit, and most will get a first choice tag out of it, unless they're wiling to lower the tag limits. The units ive hunted the last couple years are more crowded now than they were when they were still OTC.

/\/\ I think this is spot on. Probably very few units will see a difference but I would think the same number tags will be sold. The big issue will be OTC rifle when that hits in a few years. Yes, it’s coming.

Poser

WKR
In the Southwest units that went to draw just a couple of years ago, there are more tags available than people applying. It will most likely be the same and you'll be able to draw the unit you've been hunting every year with 0 points. I would suggest applying for a 2nd and 3rd choice just in case, but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

alexnelon

FNG
The change was probably mostly just lip service to CO residents. They just want the extra fees from forcing all the NR hunters to enter the draw.

If this ballot initiative passes we won't have to worry about it though because by the letter of the law, that bill contains all the language they need to outlaw hunting in CO entirely.

I have been bow hunting in a OTC unit in NW CO for the last ten years as a NR. Next year they are doing away with NR OTC tags and going to draw. I have no points as I always hunt at the same place and had no reason to build up points. What do ya'll expect next year when it goes to draw? Do you think most everyone will get drawn the first year in these former OTC units? I realize the state claims they want to lower the number of NR hunters during archery season but I also know they must realize the amount of revenue it generates each year. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out with the elimination of the NR OTC archery tags.

You will most likely still be able to draw it second choice and build points. Worst case you will for sure draw it first choice.

Historically the last OTC archery units to go draw, you still have a 50% chance drawing third choice and 100% second choice.

It will take CPWD a lot of years to cut tags, assuming they even do.

The whole OTC archery going away will not change pressure, it hasn’t in any OTC that’s gone draw. Just cuts either sex tags really

Last edited:
OP
G

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
In the Southwest units that went to draw just a couple of years ago, there are more tags available than people applying. It will most likely be the same and you'll be able to draw the unit you've been hunting every year with 0 points. I would suggest applying for a 2nd and 3rd choice just in case, but I wouldn't be concerned about it.
The area I hunt is in 2 units. Will they allow you to hunt 2 units if you get drawn or will the tag be unit specific?

I hunt a private ranch in 78/81 that is now OTC. Will CPWD issue landowner vouchers to the ranch owner or will I have to enter the draw??

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Guys archery season isn’t over yet! Wait until December to kick off the Wild ass speculations haha let’s be honest CPW is addicted to the money 💰 they will keep tags so damn high there is likely to be any change. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if I’m wrong…

Gerbdog

WKR
I hunt a private ranch in 78/81 that is now OTC. Will CPWD issue landowner vouchers to the ranch owner??
Guessing this is a typo because 81 is no longer OTC, was switched to a point unit 3 years ago. I dont know if the landowner will get vouchers or not, thats likely up to the landowner to apply for them but im unfamiliar with how all that is done.

edit: for archery 81 is no longer OTC, you may be discussing rifle for all i know if so you may still be good

Poser

WKR
The area I hunt is in 2 units. Will they allow you to hunt 2 units if you get drawn or will the tag be unit specific?

You'll most likely be limited to one unit. I would pick one as your first choice and do the other unit as your 2nd choice. You could also alternate years if you want to change thing up, but you won't be able to hunt 2 units unless its a split. For example, units 75 and 751 are complementary/paired units because 751 is fairly small.

Guessing this is a typo because 81 is no longer OTC, was switched to a point unit 3 years ago. I dont know if the landowner will get vouchers or not, thats likely up to the landowner to apply for them but im unfamiliar with how all that is done.

edit: for archery 81 is no longer OTC, you may be discussing rifle for all i know if so you may still be good
Yes, 2nd rifle (bull). It is in Chromo, Co. and the 78/81 line is close to the center line (middle) of the ranch.