What do you do for exercising when you are getting ready for a hunt?

Hello,
I am fairly new to Rokslide and also to exercising. So far all I have been doing is riding a airdyne bike every other night and sit ups and push ups the opposite night. I have a few hunts this year but neither of them are going to be very strenuous. I still want to continue to get into shape so far I went from 213 to 195 in 4 months. I am just asking what you would recommend for getting into shape and maybe getting a bit stronger and making that leap into mountain shape that much easier. I am 48 years old so I want to make sure to avoid injuries too. Thank you in advance for your input.
I would focus on cardio endurance, leg strength, and flexibility. Do enough upper body weight training at the gym to stay funtionally strong for your size. Western hunting is more of a marathon rather than brute strength. Ride a mountainbike, hike with a backpack off-season, winter time snowshoeing/xc skiing, etc.. The less excess body weight (fat) you carry in the mountains the easier it is to chase elk and deer.

Every year has “progressed” for me over the last 3-4 years. Year one was more general fitness and I did Simple and Sinister (kettlebells). Year two I stuck with a general program and incorporated rucking. Year three I read Uphill Athlete and tweaked that program (it included general strength, core strength and hiking/rucking) that increased in duration over time. Third year I started a hunting specific program (but scaled it based on my time/lack of fitness). This year I’m doing the same plan but started in much better shape and have/made the time to do the program (box step ups, running, strength, rucking and core).

After my first backpack hunt, I found that time in the pack (with weight) was the #1 thing I didn't do enough of. Starting today with that for a hunt in late July
20230506_090203.jpg

I generally stick with a simple program of daily pushups/squats, try to walk daily and kettlebell work. It helps that I live within half an hour of where I hunt and it’s all above 7000’.

dtrkyman

WKR
A general work out routine combined with carrying heavy shit up stairs, hills or mountains!

Lots of good suggestions so far, I will echo most, start off slow and build up. Hiking with a weighted pack is the best if you time your hikes with an app such as runkeeper and push yourself to beat your previous time. Basically racing against yourself. I would do that 3ish times a week, then do some form of upper body workout along with kettlebell swings to hit the legs. In my opinion you dont need to do crazy long hikes, for me 2-3 miles is the sweet spot if you are pushing yourself. It doesn't take forever to do, so it is enjoyable, not monotonous. Trail running is another great workout. Find a trail that will give you 1-2 miles of uphill and take off. Same as before time yourself and race against yourself.

Intensity is everything.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
We have found that packing out elk late August gets us ready to pack elk out in September and October.That first time sure hurts but I imagine the first time packing weight in June also hurts.

Poser

WKR
Summer schedule:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: strength train
Wednesday: training hike (unweighted) or row.
Thursday: strength train
Friday: rest (or short hike)
Saturday: backpack/scout/hike/peak bag
Sunday: backpack/scout/hike/peak bag

Couple of 3-5 day backpacking trips thrown in there.

elkguide

WKR
Whatever you do, make it something that you do a lot of regularly. I'm a bicycle rider. Roadie but as I've aged, I've cut back to only 5K or 6K miles outside a year. When the weather gets bad, (yes I am a fair weather rider) I ride on a trainer inside for at least an hour a day. I will row on my Concept 2 rower three or four days a week and the other days, I use my Bowflex Max Trainer. I also lift at least three days a week. I've never had much adjusting to do when I get to my favorite hills out West that usually start at 5-6K feet, even though I live at 270' above sea level.

I think that consistency is the real key. Find something that you enjoy, that gets your heart rate up and keep it there and do it as often as you can. I also have found that taking one day off every week helps your body recover.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
hiking w a weighted pack is for me super important. There are a lot of muscles that will work differently with weight compared to normal hiking. I try to get out even if its walking the dog with a cement bag in my pack daily.

Other than that, biking, kettlebells, body weight stuff and I wrestle (works different muscles and keeps me moving my weight and another adults). I still feel unready with all that based on previous hunts, but its about all I can do with work, etc.

Sboliver

FNG
Does anyone have suggestions for people in the flat lands? I try to do stairs where I can find some. Its not quite the same as being up in the mountains.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I've found these two books to be life changing for how I approach fitness and training. Nobody knows how to suffer with huge pack loads in tough terrain better than alpinists like Steve House, or his sometimes partner Mark Twight.

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 9.23.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 9.24.30 PM.png

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As of last night, 35 consecutive nights of three miles at a 3.7-4.0 MPH pace. No elevation change given where I live.

I will start carrying my pack, with increasing weight in it, this week and eventually work up to running the three miles, but w/o the pack.

This is in preparation for our elk hunts in Oct. (son's youth hunt) and Dec. (my late rifle).

Eddie

FLATHEAD

WKR
Does anyone have suggestions for people in the flat lands? I try to do stairs where I can find some. Its not quite the same as being up in the mountains.
If you can get access to a local football stadium, would be great.
H.S. football coach made us do "stadiums" on a regular basis.
Running up and down those things in full gear on a hot August
day was brutal!!

Days I don't work I bike my dog 4 miles, run 1 mile, ruck 1 mile with 32 lbs, road biking (20 miles).
Days I work: light cardio bike ride with dog, 1 mile run, 1 mile ruck, and weights.

This year I'm going to do more leg focused workouts.