What do you do for exercising when you are getting ready for a hunt?

Wife drew a pretty good elk tag so she’s making a push to do more. Riding the stationary bike helps but today we sent it up a pretty big ridge about 35-45 degree slope she carried water and a few things. I had my backpack and rifle as it’s still bear season. She said oh damn I need to get in shape! Gonna show her this this thread now! I think kettlebells might get more use too plus stretching for flexibility which is always my demise

IanCOLO

FNG
I've found these two books to be life changing for how I approach fitness and training. Nobody knows how to suffer with huge pack loads in tough terrain better than alpinists like Steve House, or his sometimes partner Mark Twight.

View attachment 558505

View attachment 558506

Those two books are great. I do ultra endurance events occasionally and all the information you need is in those with maybe a little tweaking for carrying heavier packs.
Mark Twight’s Extreme Alpinism has good info as do some of his newer books through NonProphet like the Endurance Manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
just remembered another resource that I loved (maybe it's already been mentioned in this thread?)Episode 230 of The Hunt Backcountry Podcast, guest is Mike Prevost. Nobody in the world has thought or researched more about how to get people (armed forces) to carry really heavy loads over rough terrain and then be ready to do shit at the end. I learned a lot about what really matters when carrying heavy packs, how to train to get there, and how not to get injured along the way.
Link is to apple podcasts, because Hunt Backcountry's feed is all f-ed up on Spotify. It's on other systems too.

Poser

WKR
Those two books are great. I do ultra endurance events occasionally and all the information you need is in those with maybe a little tweaking for carrying heavier packs.
Mark Twight’s Extreme Alpinism has good info as do some of his newer books through NonProphet like the Endurance Manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a copy of Extreme Alpinism when it was released back in the late 90s and I was doing a lot of climbing. I really recall how “against the grain” his strength training program was at the time and, 25 years later, how much resistance there still is to heavy lifting amongst DIY athletes.

Anyway, I credit that book with getting me into heavy barbell training and really steering that direction overall. I’ve been through many phases and peripheral pursuits in the years since first reading that book. Years later, I credit that book to inspiring me to walk back in the gym in college and get back under a barbell for the first time since HS.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I believe everyone should be doing the big three no matter what age (bench,squat,deadlift) add in some accessory movements and some form of cardio/GPP you enjoy. People try to make a science out of fitness but it’s really not that complicated.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
Also congrats on starting to workout bro, PM me if you need any easy programming for free. I’m not a trainer but I’ve been powerlifting and working out for about 10 years now. Let me know if I can help you in any way!

A year round base of fitness has always been desired but can be difficult. Life events can derail days and days at a time it seems. I'm stuck getting that base in place over and over.

Lately I have created a 3 day rotation that MIGHT be sustainable and simple.
Cardio, strength and ruk/hike/hunt specific
I don't feel a day based system has worked because if FRI gets missed and SAT is rest day, WTF?
Any day missed, just go on to the next days plan. Overall fitness should be fine on longer timeline.

My workouts are not leaving me sore for days and I am not hardcore gymrat type. Healthy and fit for anything is what I aim for.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
A year round base of fitness has always been desired but can be difficult. Life events can derail days and days at a time it seems. I'm stuck getting that base in place over and over.

Lately I have created a 3 day rotation that MIGHT be sustainable and simple.
Cardio, strength and ruk/hike/hunt specific
I don't feel a day based system has worked because if FRI gets missed and SAT is rest day, WTF?
Any day missed, just go on to the next days plan. Overall fitness should be fine on longer timeline.

My workouts are not leaving me sore for days and I am not hardcore gymrat type. Healthy and fit for anything is what I aim for.
That’s right man. You should strive to find what fits you. I know it’s hard to squeeze it in. Hell man my wife and I have a 7 month old baby girl now and my schedule fluctuates so much. Just make it a priority and find what you enjoy! Make a goal and it’ll make it much easier to stick to it. As far as purchasing programs I’ve done that a ton. It can get pricey but for powerlifting programs you damn near have to for a solid program. But there are thousands and thousands of free programs out there if you search.

That’s right man. You should strive to find what fits you. I know it’s hard to squeeze it in. Hell man my wife and I have a 7 month old baby girl now and my schedule fluctuates so much. Just make it a priority and find what you enjoy! Make a goal and it’ll make it much easier to stick to it. As far as purchasing programs I’ve done that a ton. It can get pricey but for powerlifting programs you damn near have to for a solid program. But there are thousands and thousands of free programs out there if you search.
Speaking of powerlifting, an in law is a world record holder in powerlifting. And works as a trainer. He could be a great resource.
But my simple little hunting hobby doesn't seem worth his level of training. What do you think?

Speaking of powerlifting, an in law is a world record holder in powerlifting. And works as a trainer. He could be a great resource.
But my simple little hunting hobby doesn't seem worth his level of training. What do you think?
If you "might" be able to sustain three days a week, that's probably not worth his time.

I can't imagine the level of dedication it took for that individual to achieve a world record in competitive power lifting.

You're previous post sounds like it's an inconsistent pursuit for you. Which is fine, but would probably be frustrating for the person you described here.

I have always been a proponent of squat and deadlift workouts but the mentality of power lifting is simply more weight on the bar for maximum effort lift. That doesn't translate to hunting very well and probably doesn't align well with your in-law's training ideology. I would be surprised if they weren't willing to offer some tips and form instruction though.

If you "might" be able to sustain three days a week, that's probably not worth his time.

I can't imagine the level of dedication it took for that individual to achieve a world record in competitive power lifting.

You're previous post sounds like it's an inconsistent pursuit for you. Which is fine, but would probably be frustrating for the person you described here.

I have always been a proponent of squat and deadlift workouts but the mentality of power lifting is simply more weight on the bar for maximum effort lift. That doesn't translate to hunting very well and probably doesn't align well with your in-law's training ideology. I would be surprised if they weren't willing to offer some tips and form instruction though.
So true, he is as dedicated as they come. Major time and effort for the level he is running.

So I understand where my fitness goals are too general for dedicated coaching.
My plan is a bit different than what was communicated. The 3 day cycle is a rolling cycle and not tied to a calendar. That makes every day a workout day.

Unless I miss. Then I can get right back into the cycle physically and mentally. No indecision on waiting for the calendar to say "leg day" or "cardio". I'm aware that those routines do not work for me. Not a lack of interest but logistics. I run the schedule vs a calendar running my training. Will gains come? I hope.

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
If your knees can take it, plyometrics work wonders for getting your legs under you. For me, it’s the perfect combination of working cardio and strength/explosiveness at the same time

TheHammer

WKR
I know I’ve stated in other threads about getting a morning and evening routine year around. Explosive training and not taking a break pushing to the next motion is the fastest way to improve your ao2max. A quick high intensity bike ride across my field and back before I hop in my truck to head to work. I work 12-16hrs a day typically, when I get home I jump on the trampoline everyday within this 3 month window to strengthen my lower leg muscles and another form of cardio. I’ve been rucking every lunch break 20 minutes a day. Regardless of the weather as I feel the weighted pack is where I need to most improve. When you are on the mountain you’ll know right away what you did or didn’t do to prepare.

I've found these two books to be life changing for how I approach fitness and training. Nobody knows how to suffer with huge pack loads in tough terrain better than alpinists like Steve House, or his sometimes partner Mark Twight.

View attachment 558505

View attachment 558506
This^^^

It will completely change how you view training.

Most training should actually be relatively low intensity but of long duration (like walking in the mountains).

Your body essentially has 2 systems - one for hard work and one for easy work.

What you want to do is make the easy work system stronger, which means you have to spend a lot of time doing relatively easy work (e.g. long slow run or hike, bike ride, etc.). Making this system (the "easy" system) stronger keeps you from having to engage your hard work system, which is the system that causes soreness, depletes glucose, makes you super hungry/bonk, etc.

Once you have built up your easy system (which is never truly done), you can layer in more intense workouts.

It's not sexy, but the approach put forward in these books is proven and will completely change the way you think about fitness in a way that makes you significantly stronger in the mountains.