What defines a big buck to you?

Drelk

FNG
This is what I like. Longest horn 13"

Base 7.5"
Largest mass above the prong 4 7/8

Little knobby points everywhere

Prong way above the end of the ear

Low 80 inch goat. Hunted him all archery season. He would not leave the private land. First day of rifle and the rut was going he wandered off.

Only two more months and change and back after the speed goats. Can't wait!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339470910.318928.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1339470947.854191.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1339470965.675716.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1339470992.483155.jpg

Rackmastr

WKR
I've been building points in Wyoming for 6 years now (I think this will be my 6th upcoming) and really hoping to draw a good area next year with some friends and my wife and find a few 'big' bucks. Not sure what my 'benchmark' is right now but I'm thinking I'd love to kill or have the chance to kill a high 70's buck or something that even breaks 80" if possible.

I've got a smaller high 60's antelope as my first in Alberta, but I cant wait to hunt Wyoming next year!!

Greenhorn

FNG
Dr elk... WOW! What a cool buck!

I think anything getting in that 80 or better range is "big". Still, some nice bucks smaller than that. Those upper end of the 80s and higher is really huge.

Big is the same for me, archery or rilfe. They aren't bigger if you kill them with an arrow.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some have great cutters and some have great hooks or length. Guess it's what you like personally big cutters always look best. Of course if stars align then he has it all. Even in the best units it takes allot of looking to find an 80

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd say 70+" is a big buck to me... Now this guy here... Is a BIG buck!

photo-12.jpg

TEmbry

WKR
I'm archery only, anything 70" or bigger would get an arrow from me. I'm not huge into trophy size, just always want to try for a nice representative of the species I am after.

rutfest

FNG
For the area I hunt in western MT a 70" buck is a good buck. If you reach 75" you have done a very good job

Personally after evaluating the P&Y and BC score systems I think they are flawed in the way they count inches. I have come to the point where I am out to harvest a mature animal with a neat or "pretty" factor. I chased a buck last year that probably wouldn't have broken 70in but was heavy with nice cutters that really defined "big" to me. Here is the CO OTC buck I chased last year:

IMG_2142_zpse25e0d5d.jpg

IMG_2145_zpscd283514.jpg

IMG_2149_zps2ebd996d.jpg

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Big Bullz, That buck will easily break 70 - probably about 74-75" gross.

I have hunted antelope quite a bit and when you see a monster, the horns "look stupid" big on their head. Those are the bucks that usually go mid 80's. 75+ with a bow is a great buck. 80+ is tremendous in my book. My goal is to shoot a buck with my bow that nets 82 and makes B&C all time.

I applied for a great WY hunt this year... got my fingers crossed!

Coop

DDarchery

FNG
Great pics and good info in here. I'm going to be going for my first ever antelope hunt and hearing that anything over 70" is a good buck for most people sounds about like me. I would love a monster but I will be happy as can be just to get one! Excited to try and spot and stalk, ambush, or decoy one.

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
This buck scored 70 & 3/8. He was my second choice buck, but I was happy to put a successful stalk on him and he was big enough for me.

image.jpg

Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
guqavy5y.jpg

This guy was right under 80. I just knew he was big, and worth taking. Cutters and mass is what i think set the big ones apart.

DDarchery

FNG
guqavy5y.jpg

This guy was right under 80. I just knew he was big, and worth taking. Cutters and mass is what i think set the big ones apart.

Awesome looking buck! Now when you field judged him before the shot, were his cutters above his ears a good distance or was it closer to ear length? Like if I see a buck and he looks big bu I'm not sure, and then he raises his ears and they are even with the cutters, would be a smaller buck?