What decoy?

Lawnboi

WKR
What decoys are you guys using? I am about 90% sure ill be hunting antelope this year, and it seems like a decoy is almost mandatory when hunting these things.

Lukem

WKR
My homemade doe-fawn-with-a-water-retention-problem decoy. It's worked better for me than my Mel Dutton and Renzo. I was so focused on killing any buck with my homemade decoy that I didn't notice the 14"er coming in at ~70 when I shot this little one. It doesn't spook does the way that a young buck decoy does. During the rut a buck is just as apt to chase a doe than a buck.

IMG_0282.jpg

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, duck decoys close to your blind in a water hole will settle antelope down about as well as anything. Probably the best time to use an antelope decoy is during the rut. Unfortunatly, that starts about the next day after archery antelope closes here in Colorado. But seriously the duck decoys are excellent confidence builders if you hunt water holes.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol.....as long as it is working for you Luke! That is all that matters!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm a big fan of Heads Up Decoys as well.

Very easy to pack around and can be mounted on the bow when needed.

Lukem

WKR
In my experience, the only bucks that a subordinate buck works on are lone bucks. During the rut, does hate younger bucks. They're tired of being harassed by little bucks. Pop up a buck decoy on a buck with a harem and 95% (totally made up statistic) of the time, the does will run the other way and the buck has no reason to come to you, he'll follow the does. In addition to that, during the rut, does are running from harem to harem, and the bucks are doing all they can to keep does in their harems and often times does are trying to get out. It's their way of selecting the most fit male to breed them. The idea of the doe decoy is to pop up and try and get the buck to come bring you into his harem.

Everybody loves to get the aggressive challenge response from a buck, but I think the courting response is much more effective.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience, the only bucks that a subordinate buck works on are lone bucks. During the rut, does hate younger bucks. They're tired of being harassed by little bucks. Pop up a buck decoy on a buck with a harem and 95% (totally made up statistic) of the time, the does will run the other way and the buck has no reason to come to you, he'll follow the does. In addition to that, during the rut, does are running from harem to harem, and the bucks are doing all they can to keep does in their harems and often times does are trying to get out. It's their way of selecting the most fit male to breed them. The idea of the doe decoy is to pop up and try and get the buck to come bring you into his harem.

Everybody loves to get the aggressive challenge response from a buck, but I think the courting response is much more effective.

Way to knock it out of the park! Couldn't have said it better myself! I always look forward to decoying time for goats but usually end up filling my tag the very first part of the season. I may need to just wait one of these years......prolly won't happen this year as I will be in MT chasing elk!

Lukem

WKR
Way to knock it out of the park! Couldn't have said it better myself! I always look forward to decoying time for goats but usually end up filling my tag the very first part of the season. I may need to just wait one of these years......prolly won't happen this year as I will be in MT chasing elk!

Your text on opening day about made me sick... :D

Elk hunting, a family reunion and my WY Mulie hunt killed my rut hunt this year and didn't get to put her to the test.

B

bearguide

i want to try the ducks in the water, if i can find enough water

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your text on opening day about made me sick... :D

Elk hunting, a family reunion and my WY Mulie hunt killed my rut hunt this year and didn't get to put her to the test.

I get lucky every once in awhile!

velvetfvr

WKR
How is the Montana Decoy, I got one just for something to set up or use so I can get close. The rut is going to be starting so maybe I will get lucky and one will think he is tough enough. Mainly though will be a way so I don't get busted.

Reflex

FNG
I bought the Be The Decoy antelope hat last year. I wasn't successful using the decoy, but I also didn't have too many good opportunities for a decoy.

I honestly think any decoy or decoy system will work if the conditions are right. LIke Lukem said, if you can find a lone buck or if you can get in between a buck with his harem of does.

Heads up Decoy! However, I have had the same results as stated above when trying to decoy in a buck that has 30+ doe's with him... Took three times before I figured out that the decoy was actually doing more bad than good! So I bent the ears back on the buck decoy and used it as a doe decoy. Worked much better for bigger groups of pronghorn. BUT, with that said, you can't beat the buck decoy for a lone buck without doe's!