What changes are you making this season?

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
Archery season is here! What changes will you be making this year? Whether it be different gear, strategies, dates, states, units, hunting partners, snacks etc.

Me personally I am focusing on my tactics and making so significant changes. I hunt pressured elk in a unit with lots of roads. I am going to focus in on places I know the elk will be and be much less aggressive. I plan to do a lot more cow calling and moving slow in areas I know hold bulls instead of being ultra mobile trying to locate one willing to talk. Maybe get one to come in silent.

On the flip side I plan to be more aggressive in situations when I do have a vocal bull. I need to get in tighter than I have in the past instead of having an hour long screaming match with a bull at 50-100 yds.

As far as gear I don't plan changing much other than ditching the spotter and tripod. Barely used it last year the weight is significant.

This is the first year I am able to take a week off in September. I will be out 20-26. I will also be hunting a few days here and there the early part of month as well.

Randle

WKR
Good call, I have never carried spotter and tripod around here and dont think you will miss them .
I am going to get more agressive moving up after calling.
New bow, arrows and release so all changed up for weapon.
Stiil rockin the pop up frame that thing just works for me.
I have helped haul 3 elk so far.
If a bull has cows sometimes I switch calf calls to get a cow to break loose and the bull will be focused on her and that can help with closing the gap

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Going muzzleloader for deer vs rifle. Didn't draw our multi-season permit (allows archery, muzzy, rifle) so it will be my only deer hunt here in WA. Might have a new partner in MO this year too.

I did a few things differently this year. Firstly, doubled my "boots on the ground" scouting. E-scouting can only get you so far in finding good habitat and animals. Secondly, I've focused more on finding multiple high vantage points within my unit from which to glass from. Consequently, pre-season I'm spotting alot more elk from afar. I've been following up by hiking in and confirming water sources and potential spike camp locations so hopefully I can get in "tight" on the elk once the season opens without bumping them out of the drainage. The old adage "let your glass do the walking" has some merit to it.

Yeah the getting in closer is tough for me to do too. I'm always it's a gamble to get in closer and risk bumping them vs not being too much of a concern.
Year before last I got on two bulls that were yelling at each other. I should have been more aggressive and got closer.

Trying new underwear this year haha. Trying this As We Move. It's paper thin and should be great for the first week in the heat. Also going to try hunting in a kilt. Silly yeah maybe. But the air flow and range of movement is incredible!

We're also not fully committing to a spot this year. Our honey hole ran out of honey and thanks to Go Hunt all the Midwesties found it.

Last year we had some talking bulls and saw elk. But our working cameras had zero pics. Not even deer or moose which is strange. The wallows were never touched either. Then the non resistants showed up in force. Started spiking out in the worse areas. So the few elk that were up there left. Even Janis Patelis had a hard time there so I don't feel bad.

So we're going in light with a tarp and bivy with three days of food. If it sucks we're bailing. No well maybe one more day.

RyanT26

WKR
Equipment- not taking a spotting scope, after 2 different scopes and multiple trips I have realized I just don’t like using them. Prefer to use binoculars. So if I find a deal on so 15 or 18’s I might buy those. Taking mouse traps for my wall tent.
Got boots on the ground scouting done this year and planned extra days before season to head out early.

OP
bpeay4

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the getting in closer is tough for me to do too. I'm always it's a gamble to get in closer and risk bumping them vs not being too much of a concern.
Always struggled with that decision as well. Pushed in twice last year and bumped the bulls both times. Decided not to push in on others and they wouldn't commit. I definitely need to work on reading the situation and knowing how to execute.

I changed tents out of necessity. While attending Ohio Bike Week, The tent got soaked in a driving rain and the zippers got caught. I was in the tent and had no choice but to rip it open. So far very happy with the Argali 4P TeePee

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
A few changes or focus areas for me this year. 1) started paper and broadhead tuning my setup much earlier in the year including practicing with BHs more regularly. 2) planning to cover more ground and try new areas within the same zone instead of getting locked into the same area day after day. 3) giving physical fitness more attention and rucking through the offseason, tried MtnTough program in spring and summer.

I’m going to become a huntress rather than a hunter, might be too lofty of a goal this year, but worse case, 2025

In all seriousness, I always go into a season with some new gear to try, but none of it changes my approach. We like to think upgrading gear will change our game, but it doesn’t, best case it makes us a little more comfortable, but has no real impact.

I believe this is my 25th season chasing roosies, and have been refining my style that whole time, and it works, so in general, the approach is the same, but still try to learn and get better, and stay dynamic. I have never been one dimensional, and for those who are, expanding your horizons would be a good way to improve your game

Calling is often not the best way to kill a particular bull in a particular situation.

Me personally I am focusing on my tactics and making so significant changes. I hunt pressured elk in a unit with lots of roads. I am going to focus in on places I know the elk will be and be much less aggressive. I plan to do a lot more cow calling and moving slow in areas I know hold bulls instead of being ultra mobile trying to locate one willing to talk. Maybe get one to come in silent.
This is a good one, but sometimes it’s good to just not call, don’t announce your presence in any way. I have seen cow calling run off a lot of elk in pressured areas, more so than bugling… it can be a very low impact strategy, but it can also cause a stampede for no apparent reason.

I have killed a lot of elk using the dynamic ambush approach, locating elk and putting yourself in their path based on what’s happening

Even when I can’t see them and only hear them, it can be very effective, and is the least likely to bump elk if you don’t get a shot… misjudge their path, let them pass, and start over, hurting nothing

OP
bpeay4

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
This is a good one, but sometimes it’s good to just not call, don’t announce your presence in any way. I have seen cow calling run off a lot of elk in pressured areas, more so than bugling… it can be a very low impact strategy, but it can also cause a stampede for no apparent reason.

I have killed a lot of elk using the dynamic ambush approach, locating elk and putting yourself in their path based on what’s happening

Even when I can’t see them and only hear them, it can be very effective, and is the least likely to bump elk if you don’t get a shot… misjudge their path, let them pass, and start over, hurting nothing
I definitely need to exercise my patience and employ some ambush tactics. I guess my problem is that I l know general pockets where the elk are but I don't know the pockets themselves well enough to pick a spot to sit. Lack of scouting and experience on my part.

Plus I really enjoy the interaction of calling elk and if I wanted to sit and wait I would just do it during rifle season.

I do agree that just because a bull is being vocal, you shouldn't immediately chime in too. Might be better to try and slip in and get a shot.

Jblodgett

FNG
As far as gear changes this year for elk I am switching to image stabilizing binos and leaving the tripod in the truck.

Plus I really enjoy the interaction of calling elk and if I wanted to sit and wait I would just do it during rifle season.
Everyone likes interacting with elk, it’s fun, but I also like killing them. I rarely, rarely, ever sit… if I’m ambushing elk, I’m still moving (stalking) into the ambush.

What I think of as ambushing is stalking into the ambush focusing on the one elk in the herd that I’m trying to kill… it’s more of a hybrid strategy… still locating elk first, then stalking in, and when you see an opportunity then sneak into the ambush… I almost never will just go somewhere and sit for a whole hunt unless I’m very confident where they will end up, or it’s an evening observation hunt to plan the next morning