What can I rechamber my 308 to?

I by no means feel picked on, I always enjoy peoples ideas and opinions so I can factor them in if need be. I like the ESS purely for its looks. Ive always liked the look of the chassis rifle with the full top rail like the remington MSRs and XM2010s so this is my chance to build one in a sense. I looked at KRG and XLR but I dont think they have a full top rail option, only the bolt on NV mounts. TBH the fun of this build is going to be the looks and the enjoyment of shooting it. Something low recoil to shoot out a couple hundred yards sounds fun. I like the idea of the 6BR. Leaning towards that, 6 or 22 creed, but am still curios about if I can do 6ARC or not.

6 ARC has a different bolt face than 308. BR and creedmoor based cartridges have the same bolt face.

To me, 22 and 6 creedmoor are little overbore for a "fun" gun that I'd want to shoot a bunch. Generally more overbore = more temperamental. On a "fun" cartridge, i'd prefer something that is less temperamental that I don't worry about shooting long strings and getting the barrel piping hot as much.

Downside of the BR based cartridges is they are short and dont always play nice in repeaters without additional consideration. There are dedicated AI pattern BR mags or mag modification kits to remedy this. They also use small rifle primers so I'd look into if there is any reason for concern with how they interact with the firing pin on factory remington bolts (might be a non-issue, just haven't looked into it in many years).

Literally anything based on a .308 or 30 tc case, and you can get this list of cases on Wikipedia.

If it happens to be on a long action (and many .308 actually are on a long action) you can include anything based on a 30-06 case perhaps with a change of magazine.

You mention a ARC cartridge. Well, I'm not sure you can change the bolt face on a 700 as easily but intermediate cartridges would be a little more of a stretch but that might be possible. As might be magnum cases depending on the one and situation.

Last and most importantly, creedmore is lame.

Personally I’d chamber it in 6.5 creed. Tons of barrel life, brass options, factory ammo, dies. Seems the easy button to me. Orrrrr new 308 barrel and keep all your stuff.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Is there something wrong with .308?

If you are just wanting something to get better at fundamentals get a Tikka 223.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Nothing wrong with the .308, but since my new rifle is in 308 and will be my primary shooting and hunting rifle I figured why not rechamber in something different

rbaney

FNG
So are you leaning towards a rebarrel and not a rechamber? If so anything in 6.5 or 6mm is a great option with your current action. To me a rechamber means changing the chamber not the barrel. Such as the Remington 722 I just picked up was rechambered from a 222 to 223. If you want another gun pick up what ever tickles your fancy no man should have just one or even a dozen.