What can I do now to improve my success in the fall?

rojocop

FNG
It's never too early to start. The earlier you begin, the more familiar you'll become with the area and the behavior of the elk.

I asked myself the same question 6 weeks ago, and for me the answer was lose 50 pounds. So far I'm down 40. After going on a mountain goat hunt at 300 pounds last year, I decided I would like to be down around 265 again. 300 is a lot of weight no matter what kind of shape you are in.

I am starting to think I wasn't in as great of shape as I thought, I'm just dumb and tough, which goes a long ways too!

Knowing the hunting area is critical. After time you will start to understand the travel paths by the elk. Then you can sit on the corridors or you can arrange ambushes if you have a team.

Although wind can change direction, there are predominant patterns that need to be noted. Hunting from the upwind side can be a futile endeavor.

Learn your physical limits. It's easy to get yourself into a hole you can't get out of. Work at developing extensions to those limits.

Spend some time on google earth and maps to figure out what is over the next ridge. Nothing more frustrating than working your butt off to get a spot only to discover a trail on the next ridge that you can drive to.

Keep notes on a map of your dicoveries. Your mind will tend to erase bad experiences over time. Nothing worse than having a really bad time twice. I have a number of maps with "Don't go here" marked on them. I keep field maps that are heavily worn but transfer the data onto master copies that I keep on a wall in my loading room. They help me decide where to go on any given day as well as places I need to explore and expand my range. I also mark which ridges are cow ridges and which are bull ridges.

Just a few thoughts.

Like the title says, what can I do now to improve my success in the fall?

DIY, OTC Elk Tag. I have not finallized my exact hunting area, but I will be hunting within an hour or so of my home. The area is know for High Hunter Pressure, as well as Wolf Pressure and tough terrain. I will be hunting both rifle and archery season.

My fitness is better than average and I am working on it weekly.

I am shooting my bow weekly.

Is it too early to start scouting?

View attachment 561772
It is NEVER too early to start scouting. Consider that other hunters may consider "too early." Which means if you are there with less hunting competition then you may learn more about animal behavior than those who haven't put in as much time scouting. Good luck and keep shooting your bow.

Jaquomo

WKR
That's knowing your animals!

The OP wants to scout and watch em year round - I'm sure if he spooked em in June or July to see how they exit the area, that they'd come back before the season.
I understood that, and wasn't clear in my reply. Everywhere I've ever spooked elk, they run away. Sometimes far away, into a different unit or county. Usually straight away from wherever I was when I spooked them. I'm not sure what value this knowledge brings unless he is planning a drive, and happens to come upon the same family group led by the same alpha cows, in the exact same spot.

LostArra

WKR
I understood that, and wasn't clear in my reply. Everywhere I've ever spooked elk, they run away. Sometimes far away, into a different unit or county. Usually straight away from wherever I was when I spooked them. I'm not sure what value this knowledge brings unless he is planning a drive, and happens to come upon the same family group led by the same alpha cows, in the exact same spot.
I never ever want to see cow elk run because it never ends well, at least for me but maybe for the elk.

Suggestions: the usual, scouting, find water source for elk and yourself, be in shape and practice with your weapon.
The most difficult is prepare yourself to stay positive throughout the entire hunt. Consecutive elkless days get discouraging but things change quickly and you don't want to be caught hiking when you should be hunting.

Last edited: