What calls?

What do you prefer call wise? Box, slate, diaphram..etc. Whats your favorite?

Years ago I used to go into the field with a bunch of different calls. As of the late I usually only have diaphram and a box call.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
My plan this year is to go diaphram only. Simply because i want to get used to it, so come elk season diaphram type calls will feel natural. If that makes any sence? I do like the sweet sounds of my slate calls though.

jamaro

FNG
Here is a little video on what calls I use.. BUT for me the bottom line is use as many different calls as possible... For some reason they will respond to one call or another for no reason...
http://youtu.be/fwMFXrtcixU

j

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Diaphram and slate calls for me. I like to use the slate mixed with a mouth call to sound like more than one bird. Benefits speak for themselves when you have a bird coming in and you need your hands free why a diaphram call is a must! Anytime I am going somewhere in my truck pre-season I have a diaphram call in my mouth.....going to town practicing....I get some strange looks while at stop lights!

I am with J-Rod. My primary is the PRIMOS Kevin Meachem Signature back-up is the Will Primos Signature and the third I carry is a Mossback elk diaphram with Sarkisian reeds!!! My goal this year is to take EVERY bird behind Garrett Roe's Heads Up Decoy!!

http://www.headsupdecoy.com/

So using my hands won't be an option for calls. When I am in a blind I usually had my reed in a box call on one leg and my slate on the other. Get a bird going and hammer him using different calls to see what he likes.

I prefer using diaphragm calls myself. the hands free, or mostly free, makes a big difference.
It is hard to beat the slate calls though. They make some of the sweetest calls and i have definately turned some birds around with them.

one of my good friends makes calls. the only thing i will use. check out davidhalloranturkeycalls.com.... best you will ever put your hands on. promise.