What caliber

jonmac

FNG
Probably asked a million times but here goes.

Starting to plan a Elk hunt out West (thinking Wyoming). and trying to decide on caliber of the rifle.
I have been Deer hunting for about 30 years here in Indiana, so Elk hunting will certainly be a big change. Right now I shoot a 30/06 and a 243 for Deer but this Elk hunt will be a once in a lifetime deal.
If you were only going to get out West for a once in a lifetime hunt what caliber would you choose?

I know that a 30/06 will get the job done and I shoot this rifle well and have 100 percent confidence in it but I don't want to risk having to pass up a shot because the animal is quartering away at a long distance. I want to know that when I squeeze the trigger at 275 yards that it will have enough punch to go through the bone and hide and make a clean kill.

I have shot a 300win mag and will admit that I didn't like it ( it was a Winchester Featherweight) but I don't know if it was the rifle itself or the caliber, only shot it twice.

I am willing to buy a standard weight 300 wm and learn to shoot it, but have also been thinking 7mm mag (never shot one)
I am more than willing to put the time and effort into learning a new rifle. Just want to make this adventure the best that it can be and not end up second guessing myself. Hopefully this all makes sense

elkduds

WKR
Welcome to the forum. I'd shoot the gun I'm most confident with. Premium ammo like Superforce can get you another 100 fps, approaching 300 win mag power w the '06 already in your safe. 7RM is a small increment past your '06, offset by the "06 shooting a larger diameter bullet, available in heavier weights than 7RM. Pretty much a wash.

Which do you want to buy?

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum. I'd shoot the gun I'm most confident with. Premium ammo like Superforce can get you another 100 fps, approaching 300 win mag power w the '06 already in your safe. 7RM is a small increment past your '06, offset by the "06 shooting a larger diameter bullet, available in heavier weights than 7RM. Pretty much a wash.

Which do you want to buy?
+1
CC.jpg

I don't know anything about elk specifically.. but I've helped skin dozens of Alaskan moose killed via 30-06. Haven't seen any escape yet, and believe me, we aren't waiting for "perfect" 100 yd broad side shot. I own a .338, but this years bull I dropped with the '06 once again just because I like that gun more. If I can hit vitals quartering through a moose shoulder, an elk is no problem at all.

If you lose an elk, it going to be much more likely because you are shooting an unfamiliar gun. NOT because the '06 somehow failed to do job.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone here. I’ve put down 13 elk with my .30-06 with zero problems. Two of them were at 500 yards. If you want to buy another rifle because you WANT to then by all means... but you definitely do not need to.

OP
J

jonmac

FNG
Thank you for the replies and welcome. Guess I am overthinking this.

It sounds as if My rifle is going to get the job done, So what about clothes? What would be a good brand to get?
I have some of the Red Head name brand clothes from Baas Pro that works well here in Indiana but will it be good for out west

Going to have alot of questions about this so please be patient with me.

Catahoula

WKR
Go with the 06. It is a excellent cartridge. I run Accubond 165g through mine. Unless you feel the itch to set up another rifle. The clothing thing can be endless choices. Personally I mostly have First Lite and a few articles of Sitka.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
go to the clothing section and peruse the many threads on clothing; hint- don't skimp on clothing, you want items that let you hunt hard without compromising your comfort and safety

think system when it comes to clothing- a few good pieces will get you by better than a whole bunch of crappy ones

Nothing wrong with a trusty 06. Good boots are more important than a new gun. But I like shooting new guns also. My 300 RUM with a muzzle break is a cannon.

cmahoney

WKR
If you want to put money in a rifle, I’d spend it on optics and practice shooting farther than you normally do at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick with 30-06 and fine right load/bullet combo..... but if you have to get something new 300WM paired with 215gr Berger and a quality muz brake.

LightFoot

WKR
Thank you for the replies and welcome. Guess I am overthinking this.

It sounds as if My rifle is going to get the job done, So what about clothes? What would be a good brand to get?
I have some of the Red Head name brand clothes from Baas Pro that works well here in Indiana but will it be good for out west

Going to have alot of questions about this so please be patient with me.
The bass pro stuff may be fine. Remember, your will probably be a much more "active" hunter chasing elk or just about any big game out west.

Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, and Skre are all great companies to give your money to. There are some less expensive options out there as well along with other competing companies. Hard to get bad gear these days.

Buy layers to adjust to the season/temperature.

I like:
Merino base
Synthetic mid
Down insulation
Soft shell pants
Tough rain gear
I usually use my mid layer as outer layer or use a synthetic insulation or rain jacket as outer layer.(I haven't had much use for my softshell jacket)

I use mostly Kuiu, some Sitka, and I would not hesitate to use just about any other reputable brand.

Kuiu is built almost exclusively for the athletic build. If you are like me and have a gut, you will find the Kuiu to be snug.

If I didn't already have so much gear, I would probably do to more Sitka or another brand due to my shape.

You can find tons of reviews on western hunting gear which will range from fanboy to fair/unbiased to haters. Again, hard to find bad gear from the reputable companies.

Rounding out your kit is a lifelong, expensive pursuit. Good luck.

>>>----------------->JAKE
Have gear, will travel.
-Katy, TX