What caliber would you start a hunter with?

Ok. I’m going to throw out the most oddball experience and recommendation ever here. First some backstory:

I have a 10-year-old boy that is not quite ready to hunt IMO. He’s missing the drive to do it for real right now, but… he has expressed some interest so I’m breaking him in little by little. Obviously, he shoots a lot of archery like his old man, and he’s pretty good, but he’s not up to par for the regs for that here (he needs to pull 40 pounds minimum for Idaho). I work in LE, and have a pile of guns, and I’m plenty familiar with them, so that’s where we’ll start.

He’s a little feller and kinda timid, so at the range, he’s shot almost everything I have that he can manage. On top of that, he’s a righty and left eye dominant, so it’s a bear to tackle this problem. He’ll shoot a .22 all day and loves it, but lays his head funny on the stock due to the opposite eye dominance. Thats not going to work with any recoil.

So; his second favorite to shoot is an AK I have in 9mm with a red dot; super easy shooter and he can keep both eyes open, but not really a great deer or bear rifle choice.

I have a 30-30 with a forward mounted scout scope: also easy to keep both eyes open and I killed my first elk with that gun. The recoil is a bit on the heavy side for him and the length of pull is way too much. That one is out.

Enter the crazy, off the wall rifle of the whole bunch: the SKS. It’s a softer shooter than the 30-30, being semi-auto, he doesn’t have to think about operating the action, and I have a red dot mounted in a rail where the rear sight goes, so the eye thing isn’t an issue. The length of pull is the commie short stock too, so it fits great. He’s hitting paper plates at 100 with it most the time (still needs work), so I’m thinking that’s the one as nuts as it sounds.

Moral of the story is, they have to try the gun and jive with it I learned. The more options you can get your hands on, the more they can figure it out. 🤷‍♂️

seand

WKR
With elk on the table, I am worried about dropping down to such a small size. If only deer, absolutely! I think the 6ARC would be an ideal deer/pronghorn round...

223 or 6mm, suppressed.

Read the 223 for elk, bear thread. Seriously. Read the whole thing with an open mind

6mm is legal for elk in Oregon.

How proficient are they now shooting from field positions with any rifle? High recoil/larger cartridges aren’t going to make up for bad shots.

Last edited:
I'd say 223 for starters but thats not legal for elk. So 243, 6/6.5 creedmoor is where I'd be looking.

Hell 223 an 243 are still the only calibers I really use:ROFLMAO:

We started our son at 7yo on a 6.5 prc. Put a 5 port TiPro brake on it and it has very little recoil. He’s now 8 going on 9 and has put a couple hundred rounds through it and has no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk