What Bullet for Sabot Legal Ibex?

TX_Diver

WKR
I have a muzzleloader ibex tag in NM and just realized I can shoot sabots.

Last year I killed a mule deer with a hornady boredriver 290ftx and it died quickly, but idk that a smaller animal would have initiated expansion as well (pure conjecture but still a concern In my mind). I have more of those and some of the 340 eldx bore driver, but they are expensive and I’m open to shooting something In a sabot if it’s a better option.

Ibex are like whitetail doe size or maybe even smaller so I would like some good terminal performance and am not really worried about penetration.

Would a lehigh CF be worth looking at? Or something else?

Shooting a knight Vision freedom which is a 24” 1:28 barrel. Planning on T7 with a 209 primer (also have the setup to use percussion caps too though if that’d be better).

Flat shooting also important. I assume shots are going to need to be sub 200 yards.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
considering they are small, I would go with whatever you shoot best. I don’t think whether it’s a 290 or 340 matters over accuracy.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I don’t think so either. Was more curious if I’d gain something by going to a saboted load over the CO legal bullets

CorbLand

WKR
Really the only major thing you would gain by going with a sabot would be the ability to shoot smaller, lighter bullets. If your gun shoots the CO legal load accurately, I dont know that I would try changing it.

A smaller, lighter bullet would help with flatter shooting.

If you want to switch it up, buy a couple different options and give them a try. You can even get into buying different sabots and using whatever bullet you want.

Whatever shoots best and most accurately, they are very small animals, it’s going to be a tough hunt especially getting into open sight range, with the population as low as it is you will want to make any shot that you get count!

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Whatever shoots best and most accurately, they are very small animals, it’s going to be a tough hunt especially getting into open sight range, with the population as low as it is you will want to make any shot that you get count!

That is exactly my thought.