What broadheads?

Locally inventory was really hard to find over the summer. Was able to pick up 6 -125 grain single bevel kudu points and 3 - VPA 3 blade 125 non-vented. Shot 1 deer with the kudu point, horrid shot but I found her after 50 yards, but very little blood (again not good shot placement).

We have a real lack of experienced trad archers here locally, the few knowledgeable ones I’ve talkedtwo said 3 blade is the way to go and the other says 2 blade all the way. The 2 blades are noticeably quieter than the 3 blades when I shoot them. I use 3 blade mechanicals in my compound and really enjoy the large entrance/exit holes and the good blood trails.

mainly hunting 150-200 lb. whitetail and similar sized pigs.

what is the general consensus? Everyone is hot on single bevel head fad at the moment. But would a 3 blade head like the Wensel Woodsman or VPA be the best choice? What about a replaceable blade design like the Wasp Sharp Shooter?

Laramie

WKR
Whatever shoots good for you - all broadheads kill if you get them into the lungs. Seriously, it doesn't matter.

voight24

FNG
Its a trade off, if you tend to hit them father back the three blades are better and usually leave better blood trails . If you tend to hit them farther forward the single bevel two blades will penetrate better. I've had woodsman wedge in whitetail shoulders I've shot single bevel through a moose.

OP
Txtrophy85
Its a trade off, if you tend to hit them father back the three blades are better and usually leave better blood trails . If you tend to hit them farther forward the single bevel two blades will penetrate better. I've had woodsman wedge in whitetail shoulders I've shot single bevel through a moose.

this is what I’ve come to understand.

I’m only on deer 1 with the recurve. I think I am gonna gravitate towards the 3 blade as our brush is thick and I need a good blood trail to follow.

Btaylor

WKR
I havent had any issues with woodsman's not working well on whitetails and hogs. Pyramiding the tips is a good idea though as the out of the pack tips are prone to curling on bone hits.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I like a 2 blade with a straight edge that’s easy to sharpen and a tanto tip. I’m pretty easy.
I'm in the same camp. Although I don't mind steel that is harder to sharpen. The easier a blade is to sharpen the quicker it will lose its edge.

I've been seriously considering buying a set of those valkyrie blood eagles. Had them in the cart twice now. Maybe I'll put them on my Xmas wish list.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I havent had any issues with woodsman's not working well on whitetails and hogs. Pyramiding the tips is a good idea though as the out of the pack tips are prone to curling on bone hits.

Here's what I don't get. Even Fred bear would chisel tip or tanto tip bear razor heads. If these companies have known their tips are weak for decades why haven't they changed the design.

I'm shooting bear razor heads this year. Went with a full retro setup.

Btaylor

WKR
Here's what I don't get. Even Fred bear would chisel tip or tanto tip bear razor heads. If these companies have known their tips are weak for decades why haven't they changed the design.

I'm shooting bear razor heads this year. Went with a full retro setup.
Good question. I hear you on the retro, I went wood arrows, turkey fletchings and ace standards this year. I think goes fantastically with my sitka gear LOL.

oldgoat

WKR
I was on the 2 blade train, I mean it makes sense mechanically, BUT, blood trails were so bad and I lost an elk that I think would of been findable with a 3 blade in hind sight that I've gained since. I still carry usually one 2 blade and everything else in my quiver is a 3 blade, I have several brands but the only one I've shot anything with is the Valkyrie Blood Eagle and they are freaking amazing but harder to sharpen!

oldgoat

WKR
I'm in the same camp. Although I don't mind steel that is harder to sharpen. The easier a blade is to sharpen the quicker it will lose its edge.

I've been seriously considering buying a set of those valkyrie blood eagles. Had them in the cart twice now. Maybe I'll put them on my Xmas wish list.
Buy them! But buy their sharpening wheel system too, or you will pull your hair out trying to resharpen them after shooting! They come unbelievably sharp though when you get them! Good thing is, their sharpening wheels work wonders on all 3 blade heads!

Titan_Bow

WKR
I never really had an issue with poor blood trails with STOS or big magnus 2 blades out of my longbows or recurves on deer. I did shoot big 3 blade snuffers at pigs and they all left really good blood trails. Granted I think I only shot 1 prior to that with a 2 blade and I watched it go down. I do think there is some validity to the idea that a 3 blade wound channel is less likely to get plugged up, especially on a pig where you got fat, dirt and mud, etc.
I never did get a deer with those big snuffers to compare though.
In recent years, I’ve been shooting Cutthroats out of my longbows and recurves. That’s mainly because I live in Colorado and consider RMSG as my “hometown” shop, been going there since I moved here 16 years ago. So I like supporting those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainejohn

FNG
Locally inventory was really hard to find over the summer. Was able to pick up 6 -125 grain single bevel kudu points and 3 - VPA 3 blade 125 non-vented. Shot 1 deer with the kudu point, horrid shot but I found her after 50 yards, but very little blood (again not good shot placement).

We have a real lack of experienced trad archers here locally, the few knowledgeable ones I’ve talkedtwo said 3 blade is the way to go and the other says 2 blade all the way. The 2 blades are noticeably quieter than the 3 blades when I shoot them. I use 3 blade mechanicals in my compound and really enjoy the large entrance/exit holes and the good blood trails.

mainly hunting 150-200 lb. whitetail and similar sized pigs.

what is the general consensus? Everyone is hot on single bevel head fad at the moment. But would a 3 blade head like the Wensel Woodsman or VPA be the best choice? What about a replaceable blade design like the Wasp Sharp Shooter?
Magnum stinger

Rick653

FNG
I like the grizzly broadheads. Just started learning to sharpen and I've found these pretty easy to get a real sharp edge on. To be fair tho, these are also the first single bevels I've ever owned

jog

FNG
Cutthroats. RMSG. Nice bh's.

Single bevel is not a fad. Fads are based on image, not fact. Single bevel "S" channels are proven, the bone splitting superiority is proven, the results are proven. Not saying other heads are not effective, so don't make that leap. My only point here is single bevel popularity is fact based, not fad based.

Single bevel results. Abowyer broadhead. Complete pass through.C513DE24-219A-4DC3-871C-8EFBEE600790.jpeg

Got blood?8BCE5A46-01C6-4CFE-B644-8253DC32BD5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Fling-One

FNG
I like a wide cut with a bleeder. I shoot the day six evo x, 175 gr with the 3/4” bleeder. Great blood trails!

JAlvis

FNG
Shot lots of designs in 2 and 3 blade. Usually shoot what I got and thats mostly Eclipse. Penetration is the value of 2 blades but I get the argument both ways. The old style bear insert bleeders make sense to me but havent used any.

Old School Zwickey Delta 2 blade. They are easy to get razor sharp, tune easily, and last forever. I have some that I've been using for over 30 years, and several of them have been through multiple animals.

Marketing tells us to try the next new thing, so the wheel just keeps being re-invented anyway. Maybe looking back, you'll find what has "Always Worked".