what binos are you using?

littlebuf

Banned
Vortex razors, 10x42. There way better than swaro's. Swaro's suck

Bughalli

WKR
Swarovski 10x42 EL
Swarovski 15x56 SLC

It was a huge investment, but couldn't be happier. I passed on having a range finder built it. Technology only lasts so long, so why tie my expensive binoculars to them. The bino's will outlast the technology. At some point the tech will fail.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just switched from my Zeiss Victory 10x56 to Leica Geovid 10x42.
Much lighter and I don't need an additional RF. The glass is a bit clearer Also. The 10x56 Victorys sure were nice at first and last light.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just switched from my Zeiss Victory 10x56 to Leica Geovid 10x42.
Much lighter and I don't need an additional RF. The glass is a bit clearer Also. The 10x56 Victorys sure were nice at first and last light.

Not to derail this thread, but what does that deer score in your avatar? That thing looks like a toad!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

I've got a couple sets of them suckie swaro's:

10 x 42 EL range
15 x 56 slc

Just recently got the el range and I really like it---very good rangefinder also. No problem over 2000 yards in daylight.

Randy

LostArra

WKR
Local treestand hunting: Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32. Very light weight and compact. Easy one-handed use for a quick look usually under 100 yards.

Truck glass: Leupold Golden Ring HD 10x42. Good view but very heavy.

ID glass for checking out birds, deer, coyotes, bobcats or turkeys roaming behind the house. Leupold Yosemite 6x30. Usually found sitting on the kitchen countertop.
Sometimes the Gold Rings are in the house for this job.

Elk hunting (rifle or bow), birding or any situation that will require extended glassing sessions: Swarovski SLC-HD 8x42
These make it to the evening treestand sometimes depending on location of the stand.

WRO

WKR

Except that swaro beats them in every category except warranty..

1. Edge to edge clarity
2. Optical purity
3. Resale
4. Clarity
5. Longevity

Learn how to evaluate glass and then try to make that statement again...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Except that swaro beats them in every category except warranty..

1. Edge to edge clarity
2. Optical purity
3. Resale
4. Clarity
5. Longevity

Learn how to evaluate glass and then try to make that statement again...

Littlebuf was just pokin' at the Swaro faithful to see if any of them took the bait, WRO.

;)

I am curious about what "optical purity" is though, it has a nice ring to it.

I use a variety of bins myself, depending. I like the Meopta HD 10X42s and Swaro EL 8X32s the most though.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Warranty and price WRO. That said I would take the Swaros Every time. The razors glass is good but in that price range the Meopta spanks it.

Back on track,
8x42 SLC HD
10x42 razor HD

WRO

WKR
Littlebuf was just pokin' at the Swaro faithful to see if any of them took the bait, WRO.

;)

I am curious about what "optical purity" is though, it has a nice ring to it.

I use a variety of bins myself, depending. I like the Meopta HD 10X42s and Swaro EL 8X32s the most though.

Hook line and sinker..

Optical purity it pretty to judge, turn a set of glass upside down over a sheet of white paper and look at the light cast on the paper. Great glass with transmit pure light (meaning perfect or darn near glass) cheap asian glass with have a tinge to it and you will be able to see the optical impurities in the lenses.

I forgot vortex does win on price, that being said, a geo metro is much cheaper than my Lariat f150, but its worth it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I like my metro!

Optical purity, never heard it called that. That is a way to see the color of tinting cheaper glass has on it.

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
I like my metro!

Optical purity, never heard it called that. That is a way to see the color of tinting cheaper glass has on it.

resy4ahe.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like my metro!

The tint is actually just showing higher transmission at that point of the spectrum, mostly due to the AR coatings, not inclusions in the glass.

Optical purity does sound awesome though.

Back to the thread, I do grab my son's 6X30 Leupold Yosemites sometimes too, and they sure offer great performance for a low-cost binocular! They are pretty tough too, as 9 year olds don't tend to take extra care with their stuff.

gmajor

WKR
Well, I have the Vortex Diamondback in 8x42, but I'm just a grad student. However, I unapologetically adore them.

whitingja

WKR
Looking to upgrade from my Meopta's 12x50. Looking at Zeiss 10x42 Victory or Swarovski slc 10x42. Any thoughts or experience. Can't decide.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Swaro 8x32 el

Hunt thick stuff
Hike a lot
Less than 100yard most use =8 power for my needs.

Id like to add a 10x set but don't think I can pony up what another pair of Swarovski would cost. Thought about adding the Vortex Razor if it ever worked out.

That's funny right there. I have to assume there's a story behind that statement. I use Swarovision 10x42's for alpine hunting and Vortex Razors 10x42's for bush hunting and truck binos. The Vortex are a fine glass but do not compare to the Swaros in my humble opinion.

Last edited: