What are your elk plans for 2012?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montana's deadline for applications is 3/15.....mine will be in the mail this next week...I will hunt both archery and rifle..

Idaho is over the counter and allows you to buy a second tag come 8/28 at a non-resident price if there are unsold non-resident tags...the last several years Idaho has not sold out, so I will buy both tags in August..I like to think positive and buy the second tag before I harvest the first bull. I will buy one A tag for the archery heavy season and one B tag for the rifle season for the best of both worlds.

Ralph

FNG
OTC Colorado and make up for my missed shot last year! Good luck Ozz. Don't fall into the 87% failure rate! Get out here and scout prior to season.

Ozz08

WKR
I'm not worried about the "87%" I look at it more as a backpacking trip and I just happen to have a tag and my bow. All my scouting will be done on google earth and topo maps. I'm in CO every summer (in laws are there) and of course when I finally decide to plan a hunt I won't be able to get out there till I go for the hunt. Oh well. I may have a weekend in late July that I can hop on a plane to CO and scout for a few days. We'll see. Good luck to you too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2

Ralph

FNG
I'm not worried about the "87%" I look at it more as a backpacking trip and I just happen to have a tag and my bow....

IMHO, elk hunting is a mission. If its a back packing trip then it is just that. An elk hunt is an elk hunt. If you are serious about taking an elk, you need to get the mind in the game, not just ho hum oh well. I am also an elk hunting fanatic! I stop to admire the scenery as I'm taking a...well you get the picture. But good luck with your trip and I hope you thwack something and prove me wrong!

I had planned on AZ BUT.....when the wife says.....the stork is on the way that kind of slams on the breaks. I will be banking another point here in CO and hunting OTC. Might go back in the same area where I saw a 350" and a club bull we'll see I like finding new areas.

mailace

FNG
Hoping for Eagle Cap, Starkey, Trask & Heppner. Hangin out with Cmeier whilst he tests gear. This is why I love Oregons' bow season. I have time to enjoy the hunting. Sure wish Jr wouldn't have moved to Washington.

bnsafe

WKR
I'm debating on trying my first cow elk hunt around unit 6,7,171 areas the week after muzzleloader season. To be honest not sure iv got the nerve as it would be my first mountain hunt and would be by myself. So I'm thinking.

ceetoo

FNG
Will be chasing Rosie's in Oregon early in the season, then the plan is to head to Montana for the last week of Sep. Need to get off my butt and figure out the MT application process this weekend!

Attachments

• DSC01648.jpg
    DSC01648.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01725.jpg
    DSC01725.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00041.jpg
    DSC00041.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 10

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
Montana Archery if my partner gets off his butt and figures out the application process:)

littlebuf

Banned
if i dont draw a permit tag it will be over the counter in a Washington wilderness area again.found a nice little drainage that hold lots of elk about five miles in.shot a 6x6 opening morning last year and theres plenty more where he came from.i hate talking about elk season this early,im already itching....

I got my point for wyoming and am going to hunt the ochoco unit here in oregon. gonna bivy out the last 2 weeks. It can't get here fast enough.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the Montana application. You will want to decide if you want the combination license for deer and elk. If so, the price is $944 and if you purchase a bonus pt add another $50 for a cool $994. The bonus pt gets your name in the drawing a second time the following year. As a point of reference. Last year Montana went to one pool for the Big Game Combination for both guided and non guided hunters. I believe the number of licenses issued in this pool is 17000, When I received my license last year, there were 1500 unsold, but within a few weeks they were sold out. Applications require a money order or cashiers check and have to be post marked by 3/15. If you choose Elk only the price is 794$ before choosing the bonus pt. The results are known between the 2-3rd week of April. For the length of the season 5-6 weeks for archery and 5 weeks for rifle it is one of the better states for allowing time afield, though pricey for sure.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. Yes it is pricey. I have been hunting Idaho for several years and when they raised there prices It seemed very expensive as well, now these two states are close to being the same if you go for deer and elk.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best part for individuals in the Spokane area is that you have great hunting in both Idaho and Montana all within 2 hours driving time. The country is brushy, steep and nasty, but the elk and deer are there. Good luck if you put in for Montana.