what arctery'x gear for hunting?

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
i know, i know,, sitka is the best hands down, i have plenty of sitka. there is no doubt or question about that. but,,,,,,,circumstances are making me buy some arcteryx gear. definitely getting some base layer stuff,,,, and a thinner down jacket,,, but has anyone used their packs or footwear? they don't have much in the way of camo stuff so not sure what else to get. advice/info appreciated, just remember, circumstances are making buy some non regular hunting clothing for hunting. i can't change brands. cross posted

Trr15

WKR
Hard to go wrong with any of their gear, just not many options in hunting colors. I use their hard shells and puffys. I also have a couple of their nano jackets (one hooded, one non-hooded). All work well for hunting. Packs are good too, but color options seem even more limited.

tdot

WKR
Arcteryx does have their LEAF division, which has camo. They have great equipment, but most of the outerwear and rain gear is LOUD!

The Naga hoody is an outstanding piece. I'd pass on their packs and footwear for hunting.

I have their beta ar shell and it is by far the best shell I've ever had. I have various other kuiu and sitka clothing, but in my opinion that is the best shell out there......at least for me.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak to their boots, some of them look decent. I'd stay away from their packs. The Atom LT is legendary, definitely pick up one of those. And if I had to buy some Arcteryx I'd get a goretex shell as well. My old Beta AR has been the longest lasting goretex piece I own.

I happened across some Bora Mid boots for a sweet deal and have fallen in love with them. They have an interior GTX "sock" that is surprisingly comfy and the outer boot is quite tough. I've been abusing them working on the in-laws cabin build in the CO mountains and they've been incredibly comfy. No hunting experience so I cant attest to a final verdict but I've been happily surprised to see Arcteryx quality extend into their ventures outside usual clothing pieces.

Atom LT - I have a maroon colored one that sometimes goes in the hunt pack. The trim fit works very well to stay out of the way of my bowstring when shooting. Its quiet too and comfy.

Who says Sitka is better than ARC’TERYX lol. Sitka is camouflage but I don’t know if it’s better. ARC’TERYX is kind of top dog in the hiking clothing world. I do love my old Atom LT. I’ve had a couple of the rain jackets but could never afford any of their higher end jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
I have two of their Zeta SL rain jackets in paclite. I think the model name changed slightly as I got them from REI. Wore the green one on a 7 day Alaska float where it rained 90% of the time and was bone dry. I’ve had hunting brands in the past and see no reason to pay more for less performance for rain gear. I also have their lightweight long sleeve zip shirt which is a staple base layer.

A901D544-6F7F-4B14-A363-28D7778C60D6.jpeg

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like some of their soft shell pants, and their synthetic puffy is my preferred real cold weather jacket

prm

WKR
I have two of their Zeta SL rain jackets in paclite. I think the model name changed slightly as I got them from REI. Wore the green one on a 7 day Alaska float where it rained 90% of the time and was bone dry. I’ve had hunting brands in the past and see no reason to pay more for less performance for rain gear. I also have their lightweight long sleeve zip shirt which is a staple base layer.

View attachment 462998
Do you, or anybody else, know what is the latest Arcteryx lightweight rain shell? What replaced the Zeta SL?
I have an Atom LT hoody and the LEAF version of the Atom without the hood. Great jackets IMO.

Htm84

WKR
I’m a big fan of their new apparel line.

Attachments

• 1BFC3117-46AC-4C94-A5A1-04EE303093D7.jpeg
    1BFC3117-46AC-4C94-A5A1-04EE303093D7.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 26

rclouse79

WKR
I was just researching a more cost-effective alternative to a Kifaru lost park parka, and ended up looking at one of the "gear lab reviews". They review outdoor brands like Arcterx. I was making my way down the list and ended up on a RAB Xenon jacket. The reveiws made it look like a pretty good bang for the buck synthetic puffy. I clicked on the REI link and saw it was 30% off, making it $130, and made the impulse purchase.
I have always been a camo guy, thinking it couldn't hurt. One of my friends sent me an elk hunting video where he called a bull into what looked like five yards. The bull started right through his solid-colored raincoat for several minutes and then walked right past him. The time of year I would use the puffy would be rifle season and I am beginning to think camo isn't a huge deal.

eamyrick

WKR
Do you, or anybody else, know what is the latest Arcteryx lightweight rain shell? What replaced the Zeta SL?
I have an Atom LT hoody and the LEAF version of the Atom without the hood. Great jackets IMO.
Man the closest I can find at REI is the Beta but it’s 3 layer vs the 2.5 layer of the Zeta. I like how simple the Zeta is, no pit zips, no helmet hood. If anything I learned that with rain gear all of the numbers and fabric don’t add up to waterproof protection if the construction isn’t there. I had a much more expensive name brand hunting jacket which was heavier with higher end goretex and it wet out and didn’t offer half of the protection as the much lighter and simpler Zeta.

Reactions: prm

mtn_man

FNG
Arcteryx does have their LEAF division, which has camo. They have great equipment, but most of the outerwear and rain gear is LOUD!

The Naga hoody is an outstanding piece. I'd pass on their packs and footwear for hunting.
Something to note on the loudness of the LEAF outerwear (speaking from my experiences with the Alpha Gen2 pants and Alpha LT jacket vs. 2 dozen retail jackets / pants). First, I'd say that the LEAF Gore-Tex outerwear isn't totally silent and might not be "bow hunting" quiet, but they're definitely noticeably quieter than most of their other retail Gore-Tex pieces. If I had to estimate, I would say by as much as 40% depending on the retail piece being compared (e.g. the Beta SV / N80d/3L Gore-Tex).

I've also come to realize that a major factor on muting the "crinkle" is cinching and layering. For example, on colder days I usually run the Gamma MX (thicker insulated soft shell pants) like a standard mid-layer with the somewhat lofty LEAF Cold WX LT jacket. The Alpha Gen2 pants are sized just right for me and there's almost no sound from them. I went a size larger on the jacket (in case I ever needed extra heavy layering), but when I cinch it ever so slightly at the waist - it's damn near silent!

Other than that, the quality is a couple of steps above and beyond the retail line. I have several Naga full-zip hoodies and wool base layers, but if I had to choose one stand out piece - it would definitely be the Cold WX LT jacket. I think mine is finally starting to show some signs of wear though, but I've worn it probably 200 days of the year easily for the past 4 years.